2018 Pass Ideas

Started by Deener27, 01/10/2018 01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deener27

Hi fellow Geeks!  Hope the new year is starting off well for you all.

I figured that things have been a bit quiet on the pass front.  A bit too quiet if you ask me.  I was thinking of getting a pass or two (or even, gulp...three) together for the year.  What would you guys like to see?

Looking to do different stuff this year or even maybe revive some ideas from prior years gone bye that have maybe died off.  Would love to get a ton of ideas.  I'll grab, say, 6 of the best ideas and maybe even put it to a poll in a week or so.  The top 2 or three goes on my list.  

May even give you guys some others to start.  Think I would like to see a pass start every month or every other month.  Just would like to keep in mind not to steal someone's idea or a pass that someone has always done (ie one from 2017 they are planning to do again in 2018).

Fire away.  :shotgun:  :uzi:

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

shakinghorizons

I'm interested in a pass, generally HTF stuff.

nirab

I'm going to kick my pass of in the next week or so. If any of y'all are interested, just request to join! There will be a little something in the pass for each participant from me and The Cigar Vault... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Vexxum

I'm definitely interested in some more cigar passes this year. Here are a couple ideas and I'm willing to start a pass or two. Forgive me if some of these have already been done.

1. Blind cigar pass - Cigars are passed without bands with numbers and takes must be reviewed blind. After cigar is reviewed then it is revealed from the original person who put it in the pass and then posted to the CG review section.
2. Specific Brand pass -  Cigar pass based on specific cigar blender or brand
3. Herf Pass - One of the takes must be smoked in a herf with at least one other member. Post picture.
4. Game Pass - I think these are always fun as a deck of cards can be passed with the box. Various games to come up with here.

Let me know your thoughts. If we get brainstorming this could be a fun year of passes and get more people active here. Including myself.

Cfickter

If you look back there have been some great pass ideas and I don't see any harm in repeating some of those.

One that I have been trying to develop was based on favorite movies.  It would take some prep work by the participants but was thinking a regular pass but you also include a DVD of your favorite movie for the next person to take and enjoy.  Maybe even theme the movie, sports, war, SciFi, maybe from a certain time period
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bstessl

The poker pass was fun... I can't remember who ran it after Jessica though
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Deener27

Maybe I am missing something but there were 31 passes in 2014, but only 7 in 2017.  Is there something wrong here?

I would love to get one started soon (next 2 months) but am just looking for more things to try to spark some more interest since the fall has been precipitous.  

Not trying to step on anyone but just wondering what is going on.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

05Venturer

QuoteDeener27 - 1/11/2018  3:29 PM

Maybe I am missing something but there were 31 passes in 2014, but only 7 in 2017.  Is there something wrong here?

I would love to get one started soon (next 2 months) but am just looking for more things to try to spark some more interest since the fall has been precipitous.  

What your missing if I remember correctly is a few of the passes in between 2014 and currently turned into total s**tshows honestly and were poorly moderated at best along with a few people that couldn't seem to keep things moving or in check and it turned a few members (myself included) to not enjoy them as much as previously. Just my opinion.  :whistle:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Deener27

Quote05Venturer - 1/11/2018  3:47 PM

What your missing if I remember correctly is a few of the passes in between 2014 and currently turned into total s**tshows honestly and were poorly moderated at best along with a few people that couldn't seem to keep things moving or in check and it turned a few members (myself included) to not enjoy them as much as previously. Just my opinion.  :whistle:

Really the answer I was looking for.  Thank you 05 for the honesty.  Obviously, this was before my time and am just trying to inject some fun into the fray here.

05Venturer

QuoteDeener27 - 1/11/2018  3:51 PM

Quote05Venturer - 1/11/2018  3:47 PM

Really the answer I was looking for.  Thank you 05 for the honesty.  Obviously, this was before my time and am just trying to inject some fun into the fray here.

You are very welcome, Hence the signature LOL
Guru of Cynicism, Cigars & PBR's

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Passes can be only as good as the participants. Yes, there have been passes that have been stellar.  Others have been riddled by poor puts and takes, sitting on the box for a week or so without sending it and even the missing pass that never shows up including the participant that never logs in again.  All of these variables tend to leave a bad taste in the mouths of some that have been on CG for a very long time.  In order to have a successful pass, everyone needs to be comfortable with all of the participants.  If all of those variables were eliminated, there would be more passes.  

My best passes were the "The Curmudgeon Pass" but then who would want to f**k wither the Curmudgeons anyway!

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteDonM - 1/11/2018  5:30 PM
My best passes were the "The Curmudgeon Pass" but then who would want to f**k wither the Curmudgeons anyway!

If those are your "best", I would hate to see what fell below it!

:kickyou:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Vexxum

I think my first pass was back in 2013 started by 05Venturer. Haven't been around much the past couple years but getting back here and hope to help turn things around with the passes.

05Venturer

QuoteVexxum - 1/11/2018  5:22 PM

I think my first pass was back in 2013 started by 05Venturer. Haven't been around much the past couple years but getting back here and hope to help turn things around with the passes.

Feb 2014 and it was my First ever time moderating a pass. And it was cheapos LOL
Thanks for joining brother

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27585.0
Kent

Deener27

QuoteDonM - 1/11/2018  4:30 PM

I am pretty sure I wouldn't qualify for one of those. :biggrin:

MusicCity

I've been toying with the idea of a "1 for 1" pass. As in puts equals takes. I've seen a few passes where things get adulterated by trying to substitute quantity for quality. I suppose there's always the risk that someone sneaks a kuba kuba in for an opus but I have faith in the geekdom. If you guys think that sounds tempting let me know and I'll see about setting it up as my first pass.

Beegerply

QuoteDonM - 1/11/2018  7:30 PM

Passes can be only as good as the participants. Yes, there have been passes that have been stellar.  Others have been riddled by poor puts and takes, sitting on the box for a week or so without sending it and even the missing pass that never shows up including the participant that never logs in again.  All of these variables tend to leave a bad taste in the mouths of some that have been on CG for a very long time.  In order to have a successful pass, everyone needs to be comfortable with all of the participants.  If all of those variables were eliminated, there would be more passes.  

Don I could do another Dog Rocket Pass  :lmao:  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Cfickter

QuoteDeener27 - 1/11/2018  7:13 PM
QuoteDonM - 1/11/2018  4:30 PMMy best passes were the "The Curmudgeon Pass" but then who would want to f**k wither the Curmudgeons anyway!
Just saying that you "wouldn't qualify for the curmudgeon pass" automatically disqualifies you!

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

05Venturer

QuoteMusicCity - 1/12/2018  1:04 AM

I've been toying with the idea of a "1 for 1" pass. As in puts equals takes. I've seen a few passes where things get adulterated by trying to substitute quantity for quality. I suppose there's always the risk that someone sneaks a kuba kuba in for an opus but I have faith in the geekdom. If you guys think that sounds tempting let me know and I'll see about setting it up as my first pass.

Puts being equal to takes is one of the first rules of every pass. All "puts" should be of equal or higher value than "takes" so I am really not understanding what you mean by toying with this idea?  :confused:
Kent

Deener27

QuoteCfickter - 1/12/2018  7:08 AM

QuoteDeener27 - 1/11/2018  7:13 PM
QuoteDonM - 1/11/2018  4:30 PMMy best passes were the "The Curmudgeon Pass" but then who would want to f**k wither the Curmudgeons anyway!
Just saying that you "wouldn't qualify for the curmudgeon pass" automatically disqualifies you!

Get off my lawn  :angry: .  Oops.

:lmao:

Cfickter

Quote05Venturer - 1/12/2018  9:04 AM  
QuoteMusicCity - 1/12/2018  1:04 AM  I've been toying with the idea of a "1 for 1" pass. As in puts equals takes. I've seen a few passes where things get adulterated by trying to substitute quantity for quality. I suppose there's always the risk that someone sneaks a kuba kuba in for an opus but I have faith in the geekdom. If you guys think that sounds tempting let me know and I'll see about setting it up as my first pass.
Puts being equal to takes is one of the first rules of every pass. All "puts" should be of equal or higher value than "takes" so I am really not understanding what you mean by toying with this idea?  :confused:

(steps on soapbox) I don't believe anyone sneaks in one cigar for another, it is a conscious decision.  Still some are simply lack knowledge of cigar values, some are honest mistakes, but some have been downright criminal. 

I have always been a proponent of posting the cigar value to eliminate any guessing.  I takes a few extra minutes to look up the prices (pass guidelines stipulate sites and how to price, i.e. box price vs individual/5 pack) (steps off soapbox)

ninfiction

QuoteCfickter - 1/12/2018  9:59 AM

p>(steps on soapbox) I don't believe anyone sneaks in one cigar for another, it is a conscious decision.  Still some are simply lack knowledge of cigar values, some are honest mistakes, but some have been downright criminal. 

I have always been a proponent of posting the cigar value to eliminate any guessing.  I takes a few extra minutes to look up the prices (pass guidelines stipulate sites and how to price, i.e. box price vs individual/5 pack) (steps off soapbox)

I think that's where my pass jumped the rails. I figured I could trust people to either know or look up values of the cigars they are taking. If a price is included it will require participants to do some research instead of just grabbing what looks good and putting whatever in it's place.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

AustinMike

I've been on different cigar boards since 1999 and have seen too many abuses in box pass etiquette.  I had a boxpass go missing once.  I'd say thast 90% of people are honest and overly generous with their puts/takes.  It's always those few that kind of screw it up.  If I don't know the ballpark price of a cigar, I'll look it up to be sure.  I don't participate in box passes these days, but I've had both good and bad experiences with them.

Vexxum

Quote05Venturer - 1/11/2018  3:31 PM  
QuoteVexxum - 1/11/2018  5:22 PM  I think my first pass was back in 2013 started by 05Venturer. Haven't been around much the past couple years but getting back here and hope to help turn things around with the passes.
Feb 2014 and it was my First ever time moderating a pass. And it was cheapos LOL Thanks for joining brother   http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=27585.0

That's right it was 2014. And cheapos were all I could participate on at the time. Good times!

MusicCity

Quote05Venturer - 1/12/2018  8:04 AM

Gotcha. Idea being if the pass arrives with 10 cigars and leaves with 10 cigars people are less likely to water it down. But it's just a theory. ;)

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.