Pappy Van Winkle Tradition Sticks

Started by BewareDaPenguin, 03/18/2018 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BewareDaPenguin

Haven't posted much but I'm interested in these so what's the verdict? Anybody smoke these? At $20+ a stick that's a pretty hefty price man and the last box of Liga 9"s I ordered I was not impressed with the quality, so been a little leary to order anymore DE until I get some more feedback. Just looking for some general reviews and if you think it's worth the price point. Thanks :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

MusicCity

I think Willie has a hot hand so I'm excited to try them as well. I'm also scared off by the price and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think over time we'll see prices fall and then I'll check it out.

ETA: smallbatch blind review.

https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/drew-estate-pappy-van-winkle-tradition-review-blind

05Venturer

Personally very few sticks are worth that price point, especially a DE.
Just my honest opinion.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

BewareDaPenguin

Quote05Venturer - 3/18/2018  3:14 PM

Personally very few sticks are worth that price point, especially a DE.
Just my honest opinion.

I agree man there's a select few and I used to love DE Liga 9"s but since the sale I've unfortunatly had some dud boxes and at $200+ a pop it's a decent investment to buy a box. Now I just could've had some bad luck I'm not saying they are all bad but I'd rather buy a box of Ashton VSG"s at that price point. That's mainly the reason I'm asking, id like to think a $20+ DE stick would be worth it but I can't pull the trigger. Thanks for the feedback so far

BewareDaPenguin

QuoteMusicCity - 3/18/2018  1:47 PM

I think Willie has a hot hand so I'm excited to try them as well. I'm also scared off by the price and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think over time we'll see prices fall and then I'll check it out.

ETA: smallbatch blind review.

https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/drew-estate-pappy-van-winkle-tradition-review-blind

Thanks for the link. I've also read that a lot of people think this cigar taste a lot like like the original DE HE blend that was released again making me leary to pull the trigger. Not that I don't like that blend but it's more then double the price lol

toby2

very interesting. i would love to smoke one but around here nobody stocks high end DE. the minimum purchase required by DE keeps the local folks from bringing in the top shelf offerings. i used to jump in and buy a box online just to try things but for the last few years i find i'm buying what i know i like much more.

i'm not buying much for a bit. the pipe fixins i just bought were not in my budget so i have to back off for a bit. 

headfirst

After trying enough of their offerings I've realized that there are brands out there at similar price points that I like much better (VSG a great example), DE just isn't worth my bother.  But I know other people love 'em, to each their own.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Jay'D

I did give one a try after picking up a couple at a discounted price. Although it was good and enjoyable, I wouldn't drop that kinda cash on a box unless I get a real good deal. I've had smokes on that level for less.
Last name Hungry first name Always

My hobby collection | http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=Jay%27D

Chrism305

I just picked up the last 2 that my b&m had. price was $15.95.

AustinMike

I smoked a Liga #9 beli over the weekend and was very disappointed.  One of the guys at the shop described it as "monochromatic".  That was a good description.  It's the same flavor from start to finish.  No complexity IMHO.  

I'll pass on these cigars.  I'm sure they'll end up in the clearance section soon.

05Venturer

QuoteAustinMike - 3/19/2018  10:14 AM

I smoked a Liga #9 beli over the weekend and was very disappointed.  One of the guys at the shop described it as "monochromatic".  That was a good description.  It's the same flavor from start to finish.  No complexity IMHO.  

I'll pass on these cigars.  I'm sure they'll end up in the clearance section soon.

^^^^^^This  :bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

toby2

Quote05Venturer - 3/19/2018  12:27 PM  
QuoteAustinMike - 3/19/2018  10:14 AM  I smoked a Liga #9 beli over the weekend and was very disappointed.  One of the guys at the shop described it as "monochromatic".  That was a good description.  It's the same flavor from start to finish.  No complexity IMHO.    I'll pass on these cigars.  I'm sure they'll end up in the clearance section soon.
^^^^^^This  :bigthumbs:

i wonder if they tasted better to us when it took a year or so of looking to get a box the 15 minutes they were available or has the quality dropped so they can always be available?

Kid Montana

Having tried a few of the "Tradition" sticks, they're good, but over priced.  Don't buy them for more than $10 (ie, on clearance).  The original Pappy cigar was excellent, every bit as good as a Liga No 9.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.