Looking for suggestions for a smoker/grill

Started by Deener27, 04/10/2018 07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deener27

So, I am looking to upgrade and take my BBQ to the next level.

For years, I have been using a Smoke Hollow cabinet, but she is about to bite it bigtime (the bottom is going to come out).

I really want to go more Texas/Competition style with an offset, wood fired grill.  However, I am open to suggestions and your experiences for sure.  I am also going to get a move on here since I feel it is grilling and smoking season now.

Thanks everybody.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

PETE314

I think you can get a lot out of a Kammado style/Big Green Egg  grill....especially since you can do both Low and Slow or High Heat and faster cooking...Big Green Egg does make a great product.  But they are not the only one...Do some research...  Look for nice thick wall, good seal...and make sure it has the room that you want...You will pay a little extra...but you will have it for practically a lifetime...

Check Vision Grills, I have heard good tings...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

AustinMike

If you get a pit with an offset firebox, I'd suggest 20" pipe for the main chamber.  I owned a Lyfetime pit that was 16" pipe and I ended up getting rid of it.  I now own a Pits and Spits pit that was made with 20" pipe.

StogieDad

QuotePETE314 - 4/10/2018  11:35 AM

I think you can get a lot out of a Kammado style/Big Green Egg  grill....especially since you can do both Low and Slow or High Heat and faster cooking...Big Green Egg does make a great product.  But they are not the only one...Do some research...  Look for nice thick wall, good seal...and make sure it has the room that you want...You will pay a little extra...but you will have it for practically a lifetime...

Check Vision Grills, I have heard good tings...

Agreed.  May not be big enough for your needs, but I have a Primo Oval, their biggest model, and after 2 years I wouldn't have anything else.  Really versatile and with a rack I can do enough for a crowd for sure.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Deener27

All good suggestions.  Of course I know this is a cigar forum but I thought that smoking and smoking go hand in hand.

Keep em coming.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Beegerply

Check out Teager smokers I know several people that have them and love them. they a bit pricey, but all of them said well worth it.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

johncw

QuoteBeegerply - 4/11/2018  10:01 AM

Check out Teager smokers I know several people that have them and love them. they a bit pricey, but all of them said well worth it.   :biggrin:

I would 2nd a traeger. I really enjoy mine.

Deener27

Quotejohncw - 4/11/2018  10:15 AM

QuoteBeegerply - 4/11/2018  10:01 AM

I would 2nd a traeger. I really enjoy mine.

I like the traeger idea, but for me, there is something romantic about loading and fueling wood into the firebox that makes me feel good.  Almost like the challenge of maintaining the proper temps through the whole cooking process and getting awesome results is a win for me.

I am actually looking at a few of larger scale offsets, ie texas style cookers and am really awaiting the line that Aaron Franklin is working on.  Now I am not saying that one is better than the other, but I don't really want to work over a vertical barrel.

I have heard really good and bad things about eggs or kamado's as well.  Maybe I should have clarified that I have a massive Weber Summit with a natural gas line to it that does all of the grilling, searing and rotisserie work I can throw at it.  I am looking for a smoker that can do some good quality Q and won't kill the ol cigar and beer budget.  If I can get it down to a reliable process, I would love to do some amateur competitions just for the fun of it.

Sorry if I confused the issue a bit.  I do like the 20" pipe offset ideee'er right now and am also exploring building my own and calling it a day.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.