2nd Annual INDY 500 Contest (Results/WINNERS POSTED)

Started by Deener27, 04/29/2018 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deener27

Here we go again.  Here is a link to last year's even: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=46710.0

Once again it is the month of May (almost) and being originally an Indiana guy I figured that I would start another Indy 500 contest.

I am looking for 11 participants for a free 5'er and some souvenirs from this year's race. May even throw in something special. Just respond to the thread and I will put you on the list. The deadline for entry is 11:59 pm Eastern, Friday, May 25th.

Here is the skinny on how I will do this:

There are 33 starters in the race. Qualifying days are May 19th and 20th. On the night of May 20th the starting field is locked in so we will know starters 1-33. On Saturday morning, May 26th, I will do a random draw of our participants starting with the driver in the 33rd position all the way up to 1st. Each Geek will get 3 drivers in the race for scoring.

Scoring: The race will begin on Sunday, May 27th at around 12:12 pm Eastern time (scheduled). Each driver will be assigned points based on his or her official finishing position. For example, your driver starts 12th, but has an incident on lap 1 and is out has an official finishing position of 33, then you get 1 point for that driver, 32 - 2 points, 31 - 3 points all the way to the winner who gets 33 points. I will tally up the points for your 3 drivers and then rank each Geek from 1-11. The contestant who has the most points will be our big winner.

In the event of a tie for 1st for our Geeks, (1) I will award a bonus point to the 3 driver team that led the most laps. (2) In the event of tie there, then I will average out the starting positions of your 3 drivers versus the other person's 3 drivers and award a bonus point to the lowest starting average starting positioned team of 3 drivers.

If we get a good response very early on, I would be open to a second field.

I am looking for CONUS or GWN players, who are active on the site or semi regulars here preferably Vet status or better or with a rec from an established Geek (doing this one in response to some crazy spam lately).  I reserve the right to refuse service to anyone or to modify the contest but will do everything I can to get everyone in.

We had 2 fields last year with a great turn out and our 2 winners received a sampling of 5 that we enjoyed on race day and a 100th Running Special Edition Diecast Pace-Car Model.  Last year, winners were announced on Sunday night after the race.

Alright, who's in???

Entry List:

Contest 1:

05Venturer
Benchjockey
Kid Montana
Jagfandaddy (1)
Cfickter
Brlesq (1)
Bstessl
Ninfiction
RDF
Klamm143
Nirab

Contest 2

Shakinghorizons
Cap10Morgan
Sar127
Clami
Johncw
Appollo
Junglepete
Kman
Headfirst
DRuff
Gitfiddl

(Denotes former winner)

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

05Venturer

pick me pick me  ooo  ooo ooo
 :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

benchjockey

I'm in. Thanks for the contest, David!
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Kid Montana

I'm in, do you usually watch the race from the infield?

I'd rather have a cigar...

Deener27

QuoteKid Montana - 4/29/2018  12:17 PM

I'm in, do you usually watch the race from the infield?

I am usually in the Penthouse Paddock area at the Start/Finish Line on the outside of the track.  Heck of a view of the whole front straight from there.  There were several year in the pit area though.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Cfickter

Would love to do this again
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

I'm in, if you will let me defend my title!   :bright:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Deener27

Great entry list so far.

If this ones fills up, I would consider doing a second one like last year.

Thanks guys  :cheers:

bstessl

Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

RDF

Sure I'm in.  Thanks for doing this again!
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

klamm143

Be glad to drink milk and smoke cigars - I'm in again.  Thanks for running the show again this year.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Deener27

Okay, we have a full field of 11 with Nirab getting his entry in.

I would be willing to open up a second field of entries but I will have to have the full 11 for that.

Thanks for the support everybody.

shakinghorizons

QuoteDeener27 - 4/29/2018  10:11 AM

Qualifying days are May 19th and 20th.

The 19th is my birthday, so I feel like I have luck on my side!

Cap10_Morgan

Dang!  Missed out on this one?  If you do get a 2nd field, sign me up.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Deener27

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 4/30/2018  3:13 PM

Dang!  Missed out on this one?  If you do get a 2nd field, sign me up.

I'm going to start the list here soon.  So far 2 (I think) for the 2nd field.

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteDeener27 - 4/30/2018  4:29 PM  
QuoteCap10_Morgan - 4/30/2018  3:13 PM  Dang!  Missed out on this one?  If you do get a 2nd field, sign me up.
I'm going to start the list here soon.  So far 2 (I think) for the 2nd field.

Awesome, thanks.  And thanks again for running this cool contest.

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

sar127

I'd like to play again if you have room. Thanks for running this again!
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Deener27

Very nice response so far, so I have opened the 2nd list.

Thanks for the great response.

clami

johncw

Deener27

Deener27

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.