Total Newby

Started by Koop, 04/29/2018 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

I had my second cigar three nights ago - the first one was 37 years ago when my oldest daughter was born.

I retired five years ago at he age of 56. My wife and I sold our house and everything in it and have been on the road in our 40' motorhome since then. When we were in San Diego a few months ago, my friend gave me a few cigar boxes to store odds and ends in. It turned out one of them wasn't empty. It had a R y J Exhibicion #3 in it. I left it in a cabinet - then decided to watch the Texas sunset at our current location and smoke the cigar while sipping Scotch. Wow!

Friday I bought a couple more cigars. Then I found this site and started learning. Saturday I bought two more. When we get to Louisiana, I'm going to order a variety to try out. Right now I'm favoring mild-to-medium body cigars in the Toro size. It's going to be fun to learn as I go - just like the experience with Scotch has been for me. I'm open to suggestions for cigars to try. Thanks.

Mike

Kid Montana

Welcome!  It's a big adventure, eh?  Both cigars and life.   I recommend you try any size of Oliva Melanio, la Aroma de Cuba, My Father Opulencia and Arturo Fuente Rosado Magnum R series'.

I'd rather have a cigar...

jagfandaddy

Welcome to the site. You will find a lot of great information as well as help from other geeks! I too, enjoy scotch with a cigar!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Cfickter

Welcome, please keep your arms and legs inside the forum enjoy the ride
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Glad to have you join us!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

05Venturer

Welcome brother  :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

ninfiction

Welcome to group Mike! Any questions, concerns or anything else be sure to ask. Great group of guys here.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

toby2

Koop

QuoteKid Montana - 4/29/2018  12:15 PM

Welcome!  It's a big adventure, eh?  Both cigars and life.   I recommend you try any size of Oliva Melanio, la Aroma de Cuba, My Father Opulencia and Arturo Fuente Rosado Magnum R series'.

Thanks to all for the responses and thanks to Kid Montana for the recommendations!

klamm143

Welcome from North Carolina..............
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

StogieDad

That's awesome man!  Welcome to the group!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Beegerply

Welcome to cigar Geeks form Moline Illinois enjoy the site.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Deener27

Welcome to the boards.  Great place to learn a ton.  Enjoy the site.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Silverstix

Welcome to the group!  I would definitely get a bunch of the mild-medium cigars under your belt - pretty much anything with a Connecticut wrapper is a safe start.  You'll see the Connecticut wrapper cigars can range anywhere from smooth & creamy (Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real) to a little bit of kick (My Father Connecticut).  The Undercrown Shade is probably my favorite CT wrapper cigar to this day, you should definitely try to pick one of those up!!  A good balance of flavor and creaminess.  

New World by AJ Fernandez is a good step-up cigar from the mild-medium stuff.  Also the My Father Flor de las Antillas.

I love the Oliva Melanio cigars too, they are quality tobacco.  You may find these a little strong though if you're just getting started, or they may be right up your alley, what do I know??  Try a bunch of stuff and see what you like, I would just avoid anything that's advertised as "Medium-Full" for now.  

headfirst

Welcome from Southern California
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

junglepete

Welcome to the world of cigars...enjoy the site! :-)
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cap10_Morgan

Welcome.  Sounds like you are off to a great start!  Hope you find these geeks useful in your journey.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

DonM

Welcome from the Nature Coast!

"The Curmudgeon"

Koop

Thanks again guys - and Silverstix - I'm planning to order a few five-packs. The Romeo Y Julieta Capulet Toro, Sucker Punch King Hit and Undercrown Shade. All of them are Connecticut (some grown in Ecuador) wrappers. I figure five-packs will allow me to fully form my opinion, rather than individual sticks.

05Venturer

QuoteKoop - 4/30/2018  5:14 PM

Thanks again guys - and Silverstix - I'm planning to order a few five-packs. The Romeo Y Julieta Capulet Toro, Sucker Punch King Hit and Undercrown Shade. All of them are Connecticut (some grown in Ecuador) wrappers. I figure five-packs will allow me to fully form my opinion, rather than individual sticks.
Those would be a good start. I would try a RyJ Reserva Real also, great stick that can usually be found at a good price point too.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Kid Montana

The RyJ Cedros Deluxe no 2 is also excellent.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Mautrak

Welcome to the site.  Just start experimenting.  At times I prefer stronger cigars, at times more medium but nuanced cigars.  It's just like scotch.  At times you want something with a lot of peat from Islay, at times more of a Macallan.  Just have fun with it!

Koop

My thoughts exactly. I'm placing an order tomorrow - but vacillating on the order. Now I'm thinking a few five packs of what I think I'll like along with a 20-pack bundle of something that would make a nice everyday smoke to average my daily cost down. It's a journey and I'm just taking the first few steps!

gitfiddl

Welcome aboard.  I highly recommend the 5-pk and sampler route as well.   :welcome:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.