What makes a cigar cheap

Started by Koop, 05/09/2018 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

As a newby I was hoping to find a decent, low-priced everyday cigar. I bought a bundle of 20 Quorum Shade cigars for less than $2/each. I thought it was a good find - the description said it was made with premium filler and binder tobaccos wrapped in a smooth shade grown Connecticut wrapper.

After smoking a few, here's what I found. Bland taste, inconsistent construction, uneven burn requiring corrections and hard to keep lit. Two of the three I smoked had soft spots and were hard to draw. I know all of the re-lights required aren't due to me being a newby. I've smoked Montecristo, Oliva, Undercrown and Punch cigars to a nub past the ring without a re-light or burn correction.

Yesterday's Quorum Shade went out - again - with about an inch and half left. I gave up. Then I cut the cigar open lengthwise. I found the premium filler wasn't longleaf - it looked more like cigarette tobacco. I'm guessing it's the leftover odds and ends from premium cigar rolling. Lesson learned.

I guess it's my fault by starting out with premium cigars in the $7 - $10 range, then expecting to find a bargain basement stick that satisfies.

nathanw13

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=32290

I guess it depends mostly on preferences, but it also sounds like you might have gotten a bad bundle. That can certainly happen. I'm kind of a noob myself, but I've enjoyed $1 cigars and I've enjoyed $15+ cigars alike for different reasons - it's just a matter of looking until you find what fits what you expect out of a cigar.
Our country has plenty of five-cent cigars, but the trouble is they charge fifteen cents for them.

Will Rogers

Kid Montana

You can occasionally find sales for actual premium cigars in that price range, but as a rule, $2 per stick is going to be crap.  Quorum are chopped filler cigars made by machine, not hand rolled and most cigars in that segment are going to disappoint.   If you search through the forums, you'll see threads and even cigar passes focused around the cheap gems, cigars between $3-6 that out perform their price point.

I'd rather have a cigar...

ninfiction

Bargains can be found on really good sticks. Often in the price range you paid for the Quoram. I think as you discovered the tobacco is the biggest factor in price, but not all short filler cigars are bad. I like the Arturo Fuente Curly Heads. Sometimes you just get a bad cigar too, with a hand made product there's always the chance of a dud...but yeah, you also usually get what you pay for.

If you start signing up for email lists from online cigar shops you'll see deals all the time for the brands you mentioned you've smoked and many more.

There are bargain cigars out there that are good, Chillin Moose is another. Hopefully some of the other guys jump in with suggestions too.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

xjking

If you don't mind a mild cigar try the Don Raphael 2004 series.  I just finished off a box and they all smoked great.  About $2.00 a stick and worth a try.
-Denis-

DonM

Best to find quality cigars on sale in the $3 - $4 range than trying to find a budget cigar that is worth smoking......

"The Curmudgeon"

Beegerply

I always like 5 Vegas you can find on the cheap most times, also Nick's Sticks by Perdomo, also the Fresco by Perdomo is another IMO. :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

junglepete

5 Vegas Gold for a milder smoke but still some flavor. Extremely consistent with good construction. Can still be had in the under $2 range when on sale...just bought some from CI last week. Long filler. The Classic, medium, the A series medium plus.

K. Hansoti Park Avenue. Another milder cigar with flavor. Same price range.

With the $3- $4 range on sale, the doors become wide open with a plethora of choices.

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cfickter

Cigar Page will from time to time have great pricing on bundles of La Palina Red or Black.  I have seen bundles as low as 29.99 from time to time.  Red is more Med-Mild Black is a little more med+
Illusion Rothschild and Papas Fritas can at times be had for $4
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

kuke

You're not going to get much of a cigar for $2.  What you need to do is find a good price on a less expensive quality cigar.  Try to take advantage of a sale.  For example I bought a box of Illusione Rothchildes on sale for $4/stick.  A good deal on a very good cigar.

Koop

Thanks to all for the responses. I tried another Quorum Shade today. It was constructed better than the last two and didn't need a re-light, but it did require a burn correction.  My issues with Quorum are lack of consistency, lack of flavor and the cut filler.

My quest for an inexpensive everyday stick continues, but I'll probably up the ante and watch for sales. I'm looking at current sale prices on Oliva and also looking at Perdomo Fresco as well as Flor De Oliva and Flor De Las Antillas. There's no shortage of choices out there! I think I'll relax with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut tonight.

05Venturer

QuoteKoop - 5/9/2018  4:06 PM

Thanks to all for the responses. I tried another Quorum Shade today. It was constructed better than the last two and didn't need a re-light, but it did require a burn correction.  My issues with Quorum are lack of consistency, lack of flavor and the cut filler.

My quest for an inexpensive everyday stick continues, but I'll probably up the ante and watch for sales. I'm looking at current sale prices on Oliva and also looking at Perdomo Fresco as well as Flor De Oliva and Flor De Las Antillas. There's no shortage of choices out there! I think I'll relax with a Rocky Patel Vintage 1999 Connecticut tonight.

Any Perdomo will most likely not disappoint, the champagne series  are a good mild smoke
Fresco as you mentioned also are a good budget stick.
Don't be scared away by short filler cigars either, Tatuaje /series P and Illusione Rothchildes are both great short filler cigars
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

Gran Habano Top 10 Sampler for $25.  That's $2.50 per cigar. You're bound to find a few that you like in it.
https://www.cigarsinternational.com/p/gran-habano-top-ten-sampler-samplers/1467767/#p-100538
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

i'm in the "find a good deal on a good cigar" camp. bargain cigars are never consistent. i've been burned too. you get a fantastic bundle then buy a few more and the new bundles are turds. but then i've done that with premium and been burned as well. the latest Camacho deep sale from Holt's comes to mind. there was defiantly a reason they were 1/4 the price...

headfirst

I have a couple suggestions as someone that really explored the bargain priced stuff.  For the $2-$3 range you can find the following if you stay patient and watch the sales:

Ave Maria
Alec Bradley at maybe $3.50
Man O War (Dark horse are great short filler)
Most Oliva blends like Cain, Nub, O, G (Watch Holts and only Holts for those)
La Palina from cigarpage was a great call
A. Flores Serie Privada on cigarpage is another good one
Sancho Panza (double maduro)
AJF New World at around $3.50
Brick House
601 La Bomba
H. Upmann Legacy
Dunhill Heritage at about $3.50
Mark Twain Memoir

Another option to keep in mind is signing up for flatbed cigar email list, you should get a 40% off coupon which should get you under $4 on some really good cigars, they're a favorite on this site.

Now to each his own but I'd avoid:
Gurkha
Victor Sinclair
Villiger
Torano
Cheap Padilla (their Reserva line is good in my opinion)
Bobalu

Enjoy the ride.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

sccrom1

Oliva 2nd's from the cigars international is a good option for around $2.00 a stick. I have bought them frequently and have been generally very satisfied with quality

Vroomp

4 star cheap cigars exist in our database. Two of them are My Father La Reloba Selecion Oscuro and Alec Bradley K-147.  $2.80 and $4 respectively with tons of flavor and and consistently well made~!.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cap10_Morgan

Holy crap!  I'm a day late.  When I started reading your post, I thought "boy have you come to the right place... the geeks will certainly lend a helping hand".  Now I don't even have anything to add because EVERYONE beat me to it.  So uh... what they said!  (And great job, geeks!)
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

toby2

QuoteVroomp - 5/10/2018  4:27 PM  4 star cheap cigars exist in our database. Two of them are My Father La Reloba Selecion Oscuro and Alec Bradley K-147.  $2.80 and $4 respectively with tons of flavor and and consistently well made~!.

yup! the Reloba are good and the K-147 is about the only AB i liked. 

gitfiddl

From what I gather, Quorum cigars are made with left over JC Newman-sourced cuttings.  JC Newman is one of the oldest original US cigar manufacturers left.  They can duke it out with Finck for the actual title.  JC Newman evidently owns the Luis Martinez brand as well as some others, and also has a relationship with the Fuente group.  My neighbor across the street buys Quorums from the little hookah/vape-oriented smoke shop up on the corner.  He's given me a several over the last few years.  Some sucked, some were surprisingly good.  I guess it's a crap shoot as to where they got the filler from that month.  I'd call them the Gurkha of cheap cigars...

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

mi000ke

Quotesccrom1 - 5/10/2018  2:14 PM

Oliva 2nd's from the cigars international is a good option for around $2.00 a stick. I have bought them frequently and have been generally very satisfied with quality

+1  I've been smoking Oliva Os for years and always stock up on the seconds when available.  Always less than $2/stick, and I can't tell them from firsts.

Other great consistent cigars you can get for around $3 or less (especially if you are go to cbid and are patient). Here is what's in my rotation and my most recent price (and you can see I like fuller bodied cigars)

CAO Brasilia  2.00
CAO Extreme 2.16
Man o War (original and ruination) 2.80
Diesel Unlimited 3.00
5 Vegas Cask Strength 2.20
5 Vegas AAA  2.75
Latitude zero  1.40
Relic by Fernandez  2.20
Obsidian  2.67
Fallen Angel (one of my favorites) 2.80
Oliva Cain F  2.80
Oliva O 2nds 1.83
Don Pepin (Originals) Generosos  3.60

WatchmanUSA

Remember, regardless of the price, if you like the taste, its a good cigar.  If you are new to cigars, don't buy anything in large quantities.  By a couple or so and try lots of different cigars.  Try not to buy over 6 sticks of a new cigar.  You may hate the taste and never smoke another one.  Once you know what you like buy as many as you wish.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

wescat

QuoteDonM - 5/9/2018  2:11 PM

Best to find quality cigars on sale in the $3 - $4 range than trying to find a budget cigar that is worth smoking......
^^ This.

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Cfickter

Watch Cigar Page sales. I picked up several bundles of La Palina Red and Blacks for about $30
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

bstessl

Quoteheadfirst - 5/9/2018  8:02 PM Another option to keep in mind is signing up for flatbed cigar email list, you should get a 40% off coupon which should get you under $4 on some really good cigars, they’re a favorite on this site. Enjoy the ride.

Also, if you like Flatbed after your 40% off, you can use the code HC25 for 25%  Thats my coupon code for The Herfcast.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.