Trying new to me stuff

Started by Koop, 05/14/2018 12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

So far I've mostly smoked cigars made with Connecticut shade wrappers. Today I received an order from Famous Smoke with different wrappers to try. I got a box of Oliva Serie G Toro with Cameroon wrappers. A bundle of Flor de Oliva 6x50 Maduro with Connecticut broadleaf wrappers. A pack of La GLoria Gilded Toro with Ecuador Sumatra wrappers and a pack of Oliva Baptiste Toro with Habano wrappers.

I'm looking forward to trying new tastes and continue on the road of learning cigars!

StogieDad

Good luck!  The Serie G is a good smoke, and the La Gloria ain't to shabby either.  Haven't tried the Baptiste and it has been a long time since I had a FdO, but they should give you a good run to see what kind of flavors you like.

Enjoy!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Silverstix

The Cameroon wrappers are tasty, a nice easy going smoke. Sumatra wrappers are some of my favorites, enjoy!!

appollo

Oliva makes a damn fine stick.

Koop

If the rest of the box is anything like the first stick, Oliva Serie G aged Cameroon has earned a permanent place in my humidor.

Silverstix

QuoteKoop - 5/15/2018  8:26 AM  If the rest of the box is anything like the first stick, Oliva Serie G aged Cameroon has earned a permanent place in my humidor.

A great cigar for sure.  I loved them when I first started out, but within a year, I started to become bored with them and began to seek out more flavorful cigars (Brazilian wrappers, broadleaf wrappers, etc).  I'm curious to see if your tastes evolve like mine did.  I still have 4 Oliva G's in my humidor that are over a year old, I just never reach for them anymore

Cfickter

As you work your way thru wrappers lets not forget the Brazilian wrappers Mata Fina and Arapiraca or the Mexican San Andres.  These will be a big jump from the Conn shade but when you are ready, very tasty
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Koop

QuoteSilverstix - 5/15/2018  5:39 AM

QuoteKoop - 5/15/2018  8:26 AM  If the rest of the box is anything like the first stick, Oliva Serie G aged Cameroon has earned a permanent place in my humidor.

A great cigar for sure.  I loved them when I first started out, but within a year, I started to become bored with them and began to seek out more flavorful cigars (Brazilian wrappers, broadleaf wrappers, etc).  I'm curious to see if your tastes evolve like mine did.  I still have 4 Oliva G's in my humidor that are over a year old, I just never reach for them anymore

You called it! My palate has evolved. I'm most inclined to puff Ecuadorian Connecticut with a Nicaraguan bite, but now I'm finding a quality maduro is also enjoyable.

ntanner

I'm with you on the Arapiraca Chuck, by far one of my favorite's.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Koop

Hmmm...maybe I wasn't expressing myself clearly (but Ossifer, I haven't been drinking!). What I meant was, whereas I once thought a an Oliva Serie G Cameroon was the standard by which I judged all cigars, I find cigars like Drew Estate Undercrown Shade or various Perdomo Ecuadorian Connecticuts or sungrown to be more desirable. And now, I'm beginning to appreciate the maduro cigars that I didn't find palatable before.

tvolball

Love love love the broadleaf wrappers
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Cigary

QuoteCfickter - 5/15/2018  9:24 AM  As you work your way thru wrappers lets not forget the Brazilian wrappers Mata Fina and Arapiraca or the Mexican San Andres.  These will be a big jump from the Conn shade but when you are ready, very tasty

Haven't met a Brazilian tobacco I didn't like....esp. with some rest to it.  The search for good cigars is a lifelong pursuit esp. as we age because our tastes change as we age...what we didn't like 5 years ago can change quickly and suddenly re-appear as our new favorite......add to that a different RG where the ratio changes the taste.  Lanceros and coronas tend to redefine the overall picture of taste esp. where the wrapper is concerned.....like the Nine Series Lancero....scrumptillyiscious.

WatchmanUSA

Try any stick in the Herrera Esteli Norteno line.  I have kind of settled on the Belicoso Fino.  It's a great cigar to learn how to experience changes in taste.  Look for sales on them at JR Cigars.  Last week I got a box of 10 for $39.95, half off their regular price.  A great cigar for just $4.00 a stick. Get on their email list and you will get notified.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.