Ramblings From a Newby

Started by Koop, 05/24/2018 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

I became a cigar geek only four weeks ago. My wife and I are full-time travelers - we've been exploring this great country for five years in our motorhome. Today I had a rough one. It didn't start well and  I'm not proud of the way I handled a few challenges. But tonight we're in a campground in Kentucky and I sat outside in a camp chair and lit a Oliva Serie G Toro while I watched the sunset over a bean field. Three fingers of Makers Mark and a cigar had me unwound. My thoughts on the Serie G;

This is my current baseline to compare all smokes with. Great smoke, mouthfuls of mild to medium flavorful smoke. Nothing really stands out - spice on the retro and a little maple in the last third,  but fulfilling always. Two re-lights in the last 3rd that I blame on me trying to cone the ash. Love it. 110 minutes of relaxation, didn't want to quit.

Cigars are a new experience for me, but I'm finding it worthwhile and I'm looking forward to learning and finding new favorites.

Kman

Great introduction and welcome from PA! There is nothing like a good cigar to wind me down at the end of a stressful day.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Cfickter

Sounds like a great few years of traveling, welcome to Geeks from Pittsburgh
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

appollo

Sounds like a great adventure.welcome to the site,from Nova Scotia,and your right they do have a great calming effect. :-)

Beegerply

Welcome to Cigar Geeks from Moline IL. I would agree with unwinding with a good cigar it sure helps my attitude   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

headfirst

I'm looking forward to a weekend camping trip coming up and smoking one by the fire each night.  Welcome aboard from L.A.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Deener27

Welcome from Chicago!  Great to have you here!

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

junglepete

If I have not welcomed you, then welcome!
Enjoy your adventures with traveling, and even more so with cigars. :cigarguy:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

"This is my current baseline to compare all smokes with."
I would be interesting to check back in a year and see where that baseline stands.  What you may have smoked that fall above or below, what may have set a new baseline.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tfkirk

Welcome aboard from NE Pa.

I think you should put that cigar experience in the cigar reviews then your next experience you can see what the differences or similarities are. Always looking for reviews.

Again welcome.
Kirk

RIP BIG KIRK, LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU, SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

MacMac

Welcome to Cigar Greeks. Sounds like a great life...traveling and smoking cigars!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

MacMac

Welcome to Cigar Greeks. Sounds like a great life...traveling and smoking cigars!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

xjking

Welcome from the great state of vermont.

I too am a newb to the cigar world.  Every evening after dinner I unwind with a cigar. So many to try I cannot possibly set a baseline, but I enjoy most I have tried.
-Denis-

nirab

Welcome from beeuudaful Buda, Texas!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

klamm143

Welcome from North Carolina...............enjoy the site.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.