A N00B Question

Started by Koop, 05/25/2018 08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

I've smoked about 50 cigars and had an issue tonight that hasn't happened to me before. I was smoking a Torano Salutem Toro and twice it tunneled - it was like the binder and wrapper didn't want to burn and the filler burned making a reverse cone, then went out. This happened twice in calm conditions. Was it something I could have avoided or was it a construction issue?

junglepete

More than likely a poor construction issue. Sometimes a heavier wrapper will burn slower, but a huge central tunnel probably means the leaves were rolled looser on the inside and tighter on the outside, maybe.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

I agree with Pete, most likely the cigar's construction.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Koop

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. It was a good smoke otherwise. I'll try a few more of them before I give up.

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Brlesq

Or it could be humidity.  If the humidity outside was high, the wrapper could burn slower than he filler.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

I know the problem, it's a Torano.  I've never had good luck with them, they're banned from my humidors.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

c9belayer

Remember the Star Trek episode called "The Doomsday Machine?" I had a cigar like that a few weeks ago. The wrapper went out, the binder wasn't smoking, but the center was burning like that Star Trek planet killer. I blew through it and tiny embers flew out like a Roman Candle! Normally this would be cool, but since it was a Caldwell Cigar Co. Long Live The King Petit Dbl Wide Short Churchill, I was miffed. It just goes to show that occasionally you get a cigar that has dry or improperly bunched filler, or even a weirdly fermented leaf that burns too fast. Sometimes you can salvage the thing by letting it go out and clipping an inch off the foot and relighting. Sometimes you can't. Doo-doo occurs. You're correct in trying a few more of that brand/vitola before giving up - it's likely a one-off construction error.

One thing we Geeks don't mention is that these one-offs can work both ways. I find that Drew Undercrown Belicosos can draw a little snug -- and therefore burn a little harsh -- but one day I had one that smoked perfectly: Perfect draw, enormous volumes of fragrant smoke, razor-sharp burn line, and the flavors were all popping in perfect balance and harmony; a real mouth-gasm. I got 2 hours out of that dream-like smoke.

So how about it, guys? anyone else got a story where construction issues actually helped a cigar burn better?
-- c9belayer

DonM

I agree that it sounds like a construction issue if the cigars have rested in proper RH and temp.  Bruce had a good point too.  if it were just one cigar, you do occasionally get a bad one regardless of the manufacturer and I usually let it go and get another cigar.  

Torano's aren't banned from my humidor, I just do not own any.  A friend likes some of them and I have smoked some that were respectable.

Hope that my $.02 helps?

"The Curmudgeon"

Koop

Thanks again guys. As I learn, my game plan is to smoke 3 to 5 examples of a stick before I pass my judgement on whether I'd buy again.

Koop

I tried another Torano Salutem today. Burn was fine until the half-way point, then it tunneled. I re-lit and enjoyed another 15 minutes before it tunneled again and went out. This time I clipped off half an inch past the burn line and re-lit. It smoked fine to a one inch nub - 100 minutes of smoking time.

junglepete

I remember smoking one of these years back. The stick ended up looking like a bugs bunny explosion cigar. Oliveros El Padrino Edition Italiano. Bugsy, Frankie the bull etc.

I'll still smoke the Torano Exodus 59 Silver edition and the Casa Torano for a milder smoke, but that's about it from the Torano brand.

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

klamm143

:lmao:
Quoteheadfirst - 5/26/2018  2:10 AM  I know the problem, it’s a Torano.  I’ve never had good luck with them, they’re banned from my humidors.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

PETE314

Consider the speed you are smoming as well...sometimes puffi g a bit quickly can cause this as well...i dont know the pace you are smoking so it may not be the issue...but consider slowing down as well...
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Koop

Thanks. I think I'm a fairly slow smoker. I usually get 90 to 120 minutes out of a Toro and 60 to 75 minutes from a Robusto.

benchjockey

Smoking in Florida, I've found that humidity plays a big role on how a cigar burns.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cfickter

There are a number of variables that could be in play here, besides all that is mentioned above.
Where did you get them and how did they store them?  Some On-line (and B&M) retailers tend to over humidify
How long did they sit once you got them
How are you storing them and at what RH?  How accurate is your hygrometer? and how well does your humi seal?
Although I tend to agree with the under bunching theory, does the cigar feel soft?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Koop

They feel a little on the soft side - not going to be on my favorites list.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.