Your Current Go To Cigar

Started by junglepete, 05/27/2018 08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

So, what is it now? I smoke a couple of sticks a day, and occasionally three, so my go to sticks fall into three categories:

Mild - 5 Vegas Gold
Medium - Flor de las Antillas
Fuller - Oliva V 554

I usually drink sparkling water with lime or lemon during the day, a London fog tea in the morning, but when drinking an alcoholic beverage, my go to is:

Scotch - Glen Morangie Original 10 yr.
Rum - El Dorado 12yr
Cognac - Hennessey VSOP
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

gitfiddl

The three I grab most, if I don't intentionally search for something else, are a 5 Vegas Gold (robusto, toro or torpedo), a Fuente Hemingway (Best Seller or Short Story),  or a Partagas Black (Bravo or Classico).  The 5 Vegas and Partagas have been high on my list for 10 years or so.  The drummer in my last band got me hooked on the Hemingways.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

Most any Roma Craft, but lean heavily on the Aquitaine Cranium.
As for the drink, gin, straight couple of cubes.
Botanist
Hendricks
Aviator ?????  

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

junglepete

Quotegitfiddl - 5/28/2018  10:44 AM

The three I grab most, if I don't intentionally search for something...QUOTE]

I really do like the Hemunways for a good medium body smoke!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

junglepete

QuoteCfickter -
As for the drink, gin...

Wow, straight up gin, who would have thought it as a good pairing? I will have a Gin and Tonic with a cigar once or twice a year for a change and that seems to work. But I do cut the tonic with soda by half.
Guru of Frugality

DonM

Liga Privada #9 or a T52
Most any Crowned Heads
Roma Craft
My Father ( a bunch of their line)

The list goes on, I do not have a bad cigar in my humidor.............

:shades:

"The Curmudgeon"

appollo

I only smoke 2-3 sticks a week and normally on weekends.I have go to brands not so much lines.

Drew estate anything
Crowned Heads anything
Flatbed if I'm looking for something with some great flavor and not a lot of kick.
I am still a rookie on these things and I'm sure things will change.

Rum-Zaya real nice
craft beer I like to experiment

BewareDaPenguin

Ashton VSG has been my go-to lately if I know i have time to enjoy a stick, which is pretty rare unless I'm playing golf, and then its typically some type of Undercrown because I don't want to blow through a VSG and not sit and enjoy it.
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Brlesq

Quotejunglepete - 5/28/2018  4:33 PM

QuoteCfickter -
As for the drink, gin...

Wow, straight up gin, who would have thought it as a good pairing? I will have a Gin and Tonic with a cigar once or twice a year for a change and that seems to work. But I do cut the tonic with soda by half.

Straight up gin is a great pairing as long as its not a Juniper-heavy brand.  The ones Chuck listed are made with many botanicals, but none where the Juniper is in the forefront.  Two others that are devoid of Juniper altogether:

Halfmoon Gin
Black Button Citrus Forward Gin
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

mpurtle01

I haven't been buying at all lately, except the new release Grimalkins.   I just grab what looks good that day.  Yeah Chuck, straight gin!?   That's hard.  You like Uncle Val's?

I'm having a bourbon local to my town, Olathe,KS.  Union Horse Distilling Co.

Cfickter

QuoteBrlesq - 5/28/2018  7:41 PM  
QuoteCfickter -  As for the drink, gin...
Straight up gin is a great pairing as long as its not a Juniper-heavy brand.  The ones Chuck listed are made with many botanicals, but none where the Juniper is in the forefront.  Two others that are devoid of Juniper altogether:  Halfmoon Gin Black Button Citrus Forward Gin

Halfmoon Gin R.I.P 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

junglepete

QuoteBrlesq - 5/28/2018  10:41 PM

QuoteCfickter -
As for the drink, gin...

Straight up gin is a great pairing as long as its not ...

I did not know that. My wife is the gin drinker and seems to stick to Bombay Saffire?
Guru of Frugality

Silverstix

I'll often go months without smoking the same cigar, variety is the spice of life. But lately if I want a cigar that will never fail, it's the Oliva V Melanio

junglepete

QuoteSilverstix - 5/30/2018  12:41 AM

I'll often go months without smoking the same cigar, variety is the spice of life. But lately if I want a cigar that will never fail, it's the Oliva V Melanio

:rocker: good cigar!
Guru of Frugality

benchjockey

When I'm looking for a buttery Connie I reach for either the San Lotano Connecticut or the Brick House Double Connecticut. Also in the mix is the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon, which may be slightly more towards medium strength. A medium strength smoke I enjoy is the Crowned Heads Luminosa, though I am presently out of them.
Among the stronger cigars lately I'm craving the different tastes of either Crowned Heads La Imperiosa or one of the RoMa Craft blends. Also in the mix are Dunbarton's Mi Querida, Foundation's The Tabernacle and the Ezra Zion All My Ex's.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

shakinghorizons

QuoteSilverstix - 5/29/2018  7:41 PM

I'm with Tom - but my never fail cigar is an AVO 88

toby2

for work at work and work at home or if i know there is a chance of not finishing it or it will get ruined, whatever is on sale that's in my wheelhouse. currently the AKA's that were deep discounted at Holts. i have about a dozen boxes of Camacho up next and some JDN's as well. the AKA are way too earthy but they have to get smoked so...

any other time it's whatever hits my fancy at the moment. i don't really have any favorites. depending on time the Trinidad Reyes and RYJ Short Churchill are always good and probably dominate if i had to guess at it. 

yup Oliva Melanio are always good too. Oliva is like DE in that construction is always well done and that is big for me. DE's prices are just off the scale these days IMO though. 

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.