Plugged

Started by Koop, 05/28/2018 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

Today I lit up a Flor De Oliva 6x50 Maduro. It felt hard pre-light and I wondered about the draw. Cold draw was tight. I rolled it between my fingers carefully to loosen it up, taking care not to crack the wrapper. It didn't work, once lit I could barely draw any smoke through it. After trying to loosen it up a couple of more times, I gave up and clipped the foot off. I stashed it in a ziplock bag - not in my humidor - and selected another stick that was fine. This is an inexpensive cigar but I'm wondering if it's savable or should I throw it out?

ninfiction

There is a tool specifically made to help with plugged cigars, several guys here have one. Perfect Draw or something like that.

I just use a regular meat skewer, give a couple jabs to open it up and usually that does the trick.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

pitch it and move on.  Most draw issues are related to high humidity,  or just a bad cigar.  Flor De Oliva is a budget cigar so plan on having a bad one ever once in awhile

I typically let any new cigar rest in the humi a couple of weeks or more before I smoke it.  Most shops run higher RH (up to 70%, which is too moist for my taste) That includes internet purchases.  

That is one reason why alot of BOTL have larger humidors, to let the cigars rest and age at a good RH before smoking

:biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

Koop

Thanks. I believe this is the issue. My humidor is at 70% RH and it was very humid out. I'll pitch it and move on. I'll also attempt to regulate my humidor to a lower RH.

headfirst

For what it's worth, there hasn't been a tight draw I haven't been able to solve with the perfectdraw tool, love that thing.  Most of the time the problem is within the first inch of the cap.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

StogieDad

My little Xikar cigar scissors have a poker, or as stated a wood skewer does the trick.  Usually will fix the issue.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

gitfiddl

I've used straightened paper clips, the poker in a pipe tool.  Basically anything stiff enough and long enough to poke the problem.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

Quotegitfiddl - 5/29/2018  7:31 AM  I've used straightened paper clips, the poker in a pipe tool.  Basically anything stiff enough and long enough to poke the problem.

I use this method also, I do have a smaller habano saver but wont reach toro sizes.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

I do use the Havana saver as well, nice little tool.  If that don't fix it, the cigar is gone and off to the next one.  Life is too short to be f**king around with a bad cigar, just saying

"The Curmudgeon"

Koop

QuoteDonM - 5/29/2018  6:15 PM

I do use the Havana saver as well, nice little tool.  If that don't fix it, the cigar is gone and off to the next one.  Life is too short to be f**king around with a bad cigar, just saying

I tried a bamboo skewer to open it up. Hopeless, I trashed it. Thanks for all of the responses.

Silverstix

I used the Perfectdraw tool tonight for the first time and it worked pretty well. Definitely seemed like it was removing tobacco from the plug rather than just pushing it in which is what happens when I use a toothpick or a paper clip. But those are free options and if they work then go for it. For me, $25 for the tool was worthwhile if it saves 3 or 4 cigars it pays itself off.

wescat

I use a cordless drill. I chuck up a clean 3/16" bit and gently fed it about 2" into the head. Then I hold the cigar head down and flick it with my finger to get the tobacco bits out of the draw channel. It always works great, goes from plugged to an easy draw.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

c9belayer

LOL! Oh man, wescat, I tried the power drill thing and it "grabbed" the tobacco and twisted it around the bit, instantly deconstructing the cigar from the filler outwards! It was one of my many ohsh*it moments.

I use a PerfecDraw and if that doesn't work, I toss the cigar. It still p*sses me off, but like DonM says, pitch it and move one. You gotta accept that occasionally you'll get a bad cigar. In my case (when I measured these things) I found by keeping my humidors around 65% humidity, my pitch rate was only ~3%.
-- c9belayer

headfirst

Quotewescat - 5/30/2018  7:42 AM

I use a cordless drill. I chuck up a clean 3/16" bit in my cordless drill, and gently fed it about 2" into the head. Then I hold the cigar head down and flick it with my finger to get the tobacco bits out of the draw channel. It always works great, goes from plugged to an easy draw.

Sounds like a Tim the tool man Taylor tip! :lmao:
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

wescat

Quotec9belayer - 5/30/2018  5:50 PM

LOL! Oh man, wescat, I tried the power drill thing and it "grabbed" the tobacco and twisted it around the bit, instantly deconstructing the cigar from the filler outwards! It was one of my many ohsh*it moments.

I use a PerfecDraw and if that doesn't work, I toss the cigar. It still p*sses me off, but like DonM says, pitch it and move one. You gotta accept that occasionally you'll get a bad cigar. In my case (when I measured these things) I found by keeping my humidors around 65% humidity, my pitch rate was only ~3%.
IMO, you have to remove tobacco to restore a correct draw on a plugged cigar, not just push it around.

Use a 3/16" bit, feed it in slowly to ~ 2" depth, it'll act like an end mill, eroding the tobacco in its path. Check the draw, if it is still tight, go deeper till the draw is corrected.

Be careful not to run the bit into flesh. Works superior to everything else I've tried.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

nirab

I'll use a Habana Saver to try and open it up...but, if it's still tough to draw, I'll grab another. I want to enjoy the cigar, not fight it.  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.