Being More Active Lately

Started by junglepete, 05/29/2018 08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

So I've been kicking around this neighborhood for over 10 years now, man, where did the time go? I've been posting a little more lately mainly because I have noticed it is becoming more difficult to fill contest participants, geek critique reviewers, and general responses in the forums. There was a time a joke could be posted and get at least 20 replies. I'm lucky if I can get 2 or 3 chuckes anymore. Granted my jokes may not deserve a chuckle, but I do find the interaction waning at an alarming rate. Unfortunately I do not have a solution. I generally think many members get bored here and move on. My interest was discussing everyday type of cigars at awesome prices and enjoying seeing new people join and get juiced on the basics. This is all far and few these days, sadly.

However, I'm still here and hope things will turn around again soneday. I've seen plenty of great members vanish and a few pricks too. Are we missing something here that other sites have figured out better than we have?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Silverstix

I haven't been here long enough to really have an answer but I do enjoy what I read and I enjoy interacting with you guys,  especially the "regulars". The other forums are the same way, a core group of "regulars" that participate daily.

I know that some other forums interface with Tapatalk - is that a possibility here? Maybe more guys would be more active if it was as easy as going into the app?

Silverstix

FWIW the best part of this site, aside from the people, is the amazing cigar database, the reviews, and the online humidor feature. I think a lot of people just use that feature and not necessarily the forums.

toby2

well i'm happy to keep one of the prick seats warm....  :biggrin:

yup, i do miss the drunk posts from a few folks. and the lawns off a few dudes don't seem to be trodden on enough for a surly reply, the age of insta-famous is upon us i suppose?

still a good site. i'm happy to see regular folks smoke cigars and talk about them here. the "lifestyle" sites and folks get on my last nerve... 

Brlesq

Many of us herf "live" every night on Google Hangouts.  We had 8 guys on tonight, 11 on last night.  Join us sometime.  Here's the link:

https://hangouts.google.com/call/g7msewchbgkjnnbt6x2kjljyjea?no_rd
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cfickter

I think many of us see the same thing, although the numbers are against that trend this month. Just using the points contest totals for the past and current months it shows
Mar - 1188
Apr - 1339
May - 2497 (to date)
Cannot go back later as all points contest pages are zero'd

What I noticed lately is that with a couple of the PIFs kicking back in, a couple of great contests and a revival in passes seem to drive that more than the individual threads.

Because I am a bit of an analytics nerd here are a few other numbers, that show a downward trend but an interesting twist
Taking the first page of threads listed for General Discussion and then going to page 10 of the forum (approx July) 2017
Page 1 (current)
1972 views - 149 replies - 7.56%
Page 10 (approx July 17)
6419 views - 212 replies - 3.30%
Views are down significantly 70%, but replies are down far less 30%

My guess views are since the Geeks app died, that has also lead to much of the replies also
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

headfirst

We're all noticing it, this isn't the first thread like this.  As long as there are still a few guys on here I enjoy interacting with I'll still be active.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Deener27

I have been an active member for a year and a half now.  In just this amount of time, I too have noticed a downtrend.

This is still an awesome site though.  Much better than all of the others that I have checked out.  I would rather go for quality over quantity.

I agree, too, with the analytics that Chuck presented, but I would dissent over the conclusion that the app getting killed is a contributing factor.  One of the things that I have heard from people is the natural ebb and flow.  A more common thread that I have seen with old member that come back say "I just got out of cigars" or "I just picked up a stick for the first time in a few years".

Totally my opinion, but in my mind, it just seems like people come and go.

The live herf is something that I believe everyone should try sometime.  It is always a good time and never any BS.  It actually drives me to the site more.

Otherwise, just keep on keepin on, as they say.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

quickme

it gets pretty active when an enabler posts something lol.   I find when there are more pictures to see it drums up more conversation.  its a bit of a pain to post pictures on here ( i really haven't figured it out completely) so I don't post much on what I am smoking.

MacMac

I've been out a while. I do think loosing the Apple App hurt. I used to get on the app to take care of my humidor and it was easy to pop over to the forum. Now, I've been trying some other humidor apps, but haven't found one I like, so I built a spreadsheet for my humidor. it took hours and I'm not finished, to get the cigars input, the entries cleaned, etc.
I try to get back to the site, but I've been absent a lot lately.
It is frustrating to see so many cigar apps still on the Apple store and many of these are receiving updates. I just don't understand Apple...why kill this forms apps but allow others to thrive.
Just my 2 cents. I do think this is a great site!! I'll try to get back in the grove of using it.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

gitfiddl

I've been be-bopping around here for just over 9 years.  I've seen a lot change, Geeks come and go.  In the past couple years, I know a lot of the "old guard" have seemingly moved on from this website/forum to FB, etc.  Some have given up cigars, or cut way back, and I guess don't feel like it's a big enough part of their lives anymore to hang out here.  Others have mentioned things like "the new guys aren't like the old guys".  

I know I've dropped out of the loop a couple of times and when I came back, there were new names and more old ones had moved on.  It was a little off-putting, but then I remembered that happening when I first joined Cigar Geeks.  WeLustPapes was the first Geek to send me cigars right after I joined and then she disappeared.  About a year ago, I thought some of the new folks were jerks, and then I thought about what Cordell must have thought about me when I posted in one of his old "Random Thoughts" threads right after I joined up.

Pete (junglepete) knows me well enough and sent me a PM about the Indy contest.  He and a lot of the other folks use my real name when referring to me, which is cool.  It took a while for me to get that comfortable here.  And in the times that I've gone MIA, I've always gotten the occasional "Is everything okay?" email, text, or PM

What always set this place apart from other forums for me was that, while it's always been cigar-centric, there was always lots of off-topic camaraderie and horsing around that took place.  There were always "atta boys" and congratulations when something good happened, and prayers and finger-crossings when s**t hit the fan.

It wasn't always the most politically correct place.  And how many contests were run (with accompanying pics) with names like "Guess the implant size"?  Some of the jokes were classics, some were hysterical, some were definitely a little off-color.

I'm with you, Pete.  I'm not sure what happened, but I think we can bring it back.  Keep the faith my brother!

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

xjking

I'm very new to this site, and I enjoy reading all of the posts.  I don't post much myself because I'm a cigar newb myself and usually I don't have much to offer. I'm still in the process of trying all kinds of new cigars and picking through what I enjoy.  My pallette is far from developed, but sometimes I can pick out notes of this or that.

I also really enjoy the virtual humidor.  I update it daily and check the forums while I am here.
-Denis-

gitfiddl

Quotexjking - 5/30/2018  6:32 PM

I'm very new to this site, and I enjoy reading all of the posts.  I don't post much myself because I'm a cigar newb myself and usually I don't have much to offer. I'm still in the process of trying all kinds of new cigars and picking through what I enjoy.  My pallette is far from developed, but sometimes I can pick out notes of this or that.

I also really enjoy the virtual humidor.  I update it daily and check the forums while I am here.

Well, welcome to Cigar Geeks.  And there are a lot of us old farts like me around here that like to help newbies out here and there unexpectedly.  If you and other newbies would just put their addresses in their profiles...  

:shades:  :biggrin:  :shades:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

nirab

It's still the best site out there, in my humble opinion...I asked this question a few months ago. I got quite a few pm's expressing different opinions, and a few more that had the same factor mentioned. I'll leave that part private. For me, I have not been as active as I would like due to my fathers condition, dealing with lawyers and working on the language pertaining to the sale of a large part of my pops ranch. It's been a challenge for sure, but there are those geeks who have checked on me from time to time, expressing their support, and for that, I am truly grateful. And one reason of many as to why I am loyal to Cigar Geeks...the BEST site out there! Cycles of life on CG... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

junglepete

Quotegitfiddl - 5/30/2018  10:13 PM

Well, welcome to Cigar Geeks.  And there are a lot of us old farts like me around here that like to help newbies out here and there unexpectedly.  If you and other newbies would just put their addresses in their profiles...  

lol Nudge nudge wink wink :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

gitfiddl

Quotejunglepete - 5/30/2018  7:16 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 5/30/2018  10:13 PM

lol Nudge nudge wink wink :biggrin:

Say no more, say no more, know what I mean, know what I mean?

:biggrin:

Mautrak

Over the years I've gone through phases.  I'll check in and post, and then months go by where I just view what's happening and then move on.  I can't give an explanation for it.

That said, speaking of old times, I haven't seen posts in a long time from Ken Kelley or Jeff from Colorado.  Jeff had his motorcycle accident and would pop in from time to time, but Ken seemed to disappear.  Any insight on either of them?

Deener27

Quotegitfiddl - 5/30/2018  5:02 PM
About a year ago, I thought some of the new folks were jerks

Hmmm, I joined a year and a half ago.  I know I am a jerk or worse... :biggrin:

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

gitfiddl

QuoteMautrak - 5/30/2018  9:18 PM

Over the years I've gone through phases.  I'll check in and post, and then months go by where I just view what's happening and then move on.  I can't give an explanation for it.

That said, speaking of old times, I haven't seen posts in a long time from Ken Kelley or Jeff from Colorado.  Jeff had his motorcycle accident and would pop in from time to time, but Ken seemed to disappear.  Any insight on either of them?

I've been curious about Jeff, too.  As for Ken, we're friends on FB, and he's alive and doing well.  So is old Bob Cordell.

junglepete

QuoteBrlesq - 5/30/2018  1:40 AM

Many of us herf "live" every night on Google Hangouts.  We had 8 guys on tonight, 11 on last night.  Join us sometime.  Here's the link:

https://hangouts.google.com/call/g7msewchbgkjnnbt6x2kjljyjea?no_rd
[/QUOTE

Thanks for the invite.. I just may do that sometime.
Guru of Frugality

Kid Montana

I'm on the site a couple times a day, almost every day, but average less than two [edit: three]posts per.   I just don't feel the burning need to post much I guess.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

QuoteKid Montana - 5/31/2018  11:23 AM  I'm on the site a couple times a day, almost every day, but average less than two [edit: three]posts per.   I just don't feel the burning need to post much I guess.

I am similar 

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Kid Montana

QuoteCfickter - 5/31/2018  8:27 AM

I am similar [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

I'd rather have a cigar...

Deener27

QuoteCfickter - 5/31/2018  10:27 AM

QuoteKid Montana - 5/31/2018  11:23 AM  I'm on the site a couple times a day, almost every day, but average less than two [edit: three]posts per.   I just don't feel the burning need to post much I guess.

I am similar 

You are at least 5 posts per day in the Today's Smoke thread.   :biggrin:

Cfickter

QuoteDeener27 - 5/31/2018  11:48 AM  
QuoteCfickter - 5/31/2018  10:27 AM  

I am similar 
You are at least 5 posts per day in the Today's Smoke thread.   :biggrin:

Oh yeah, there is that

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.