How Far To Smoke?

Started by Chefjohn, 06/02/2018 02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I've been reading a number of articles and on the subject of how far down to smoke I've read a number of differing opinions especially where the band is concerned. For the most part the majority of what I've read says not to remove the band for fear of tearing he wrapper which makes sense to me. What about the sticks whose band is much wider sucg as the short Coronas or perfectos? Do you remove those bands and what is the preferred etiquette on how for down to smoke?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

shakinghorizons

If it's fantastic, I'll smoke it until it's burning my fingers. 95% of what I smoke, the band comes off to continue smoking.

appollo

I agree with Colin,I also remove most of my bands. :-)

toby2

Quoteshakinghorizons - 6/2/2018  3:30 PM  If it's fantastic, I'll smoke it until it's burning my fingers. 95% of what I smoke, the band comes off to continue smoking.

x3

ninfiction

If you smoke down close to the band the glue on the band will heat up usually making it easier to remove. Sometimes you do tear a little bit of the wrapper but sometimes it's worth it to keep going. I always remove the bands and keep going.

Someone once told me to smoke until you no longer enjoy it, whether that's an inch in or an inch left.

I use a corn cob holder to hold the butt if it's too hot for my fingers, gotta get every bit of the good ones.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chefjohn

Thanks guys. So it seems the general consensus is it's good keep going till it ain't. I appreciate your input guys. So much to learn but the research is awesome.

amigodecigars

JOYA DE NICARAGUA NO.1

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

junglepete

I smoke almost all sticks to the band, then remove it and continue to as far as I am still enjoying it.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Otter

Quotejunglepete - 6/4/2018  12:13 AM

I smoke almost all sticks to the band, then remove it and continue to as far as I am still enjoying it.

Dittos!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

shakinghorizons

QuoteSomeone once told me to smoke until you no longer enjoy it, whether that's an inch in or an inch left.

Agreed! I don't care if it's a $500 cigar, a limited edition 1 of 1 in the world, or a $5 cigar, if it's bad - life is to short!

Cfickter

Smoking to the band and not removing it is just fear mongering buy cigar elitists.  The same people who will tell you that you should only use light your cigar with a spill from the north side of the tree while facing Cuba in a wind of 5 knots.
Yes the wrapper can get damaged, but mostly Connecticut and especially Connecticut shades because of the thinness of the wrapper.  Bad QC on band glue can cause it also.
But you will lose most of the last third and the chance to see how the cigar changes.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Quoteninfiction - 6/2/2018  4:06 PM
Someone once told me to smoke until you no longer enjoy it, whether that's an inch in or an inch left.

^^This
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

wescat

Quoteninfiction - 6/2/2018  6:06 PM

^^ This. I use a toothpick if I want to smoke it very short.

The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Good tip. Thank you.

StogieDad

Quoteninfiction - 6/2/2018  4:06 PM

:BIGTHUMBS:

That's it!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

klamm143

Remove band - smoke 'till it blisters the finger - then put it down. I've found that holding it "too long" is a self-correcting issue.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Chefjohn

Lol, I like that. Thanks

Beegerply

I smoke most of my cigars all the way down until I can't hold them or they get hot.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.