Anthony Bourdain Found Dead

Started by nathanw13, 06/08/2018 10:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanw13

Don't know how many foodies we have on here...

CNN confirmed this morning that Chef and TV personality Anthony Bourdain was found dead this morning in his hotel room. Cause of death has been ruled suicide.

This hits pretty hard for me - Bourdain was an inspiration to me as a Chef, and I've fought on and off with depression for years. Please - if you need help, get help. Hit me up, I'd be glad to talk.

Also - National Suicide Prevention Hotline - 1-800-273-8255

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html
Our country has plenty of five-cent cigars, but the trouble is they charge fifteen cents for them.

Will Rogers

Chefjohn

This was very sad to hear. I worked with Tony some years back and we still kept in touch. Very talented chef and a great guy. Great advice Nathan.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

appollo

Sad day,big fan of his TV show.Always made me laugh .. :-(

Silverstix

Couldn't imagine the demons that someone must be battling to get to the point where it's so bad that taking your life is the only way to make it better.....it's just tragic.  No matter how bad it is, you're important to someone.  I hope he's finally happy and relieved, and I hope his family can get through this

wescat

And the world gets a little darker.

Depression runs in families. Back in the '90's, a friend of a friend succumbed to his darkness and took his life. Dude was in his 60's, and had battled depression and *doG knows what* all of his life. Within a year, 2 of his kids and 3 of his grand-kids had followed him.

Y'all be damn careful out there, suicide is contagious:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/14/upshot/the-science-behind-suicide-contagion.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/13-reasons-why-and-suicide-contagion1/
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

toby2

don't flame me but is it wrong to say i don't get how a father could leave a young child in the world alone like that. for whatever reason. guess i'm lucky to not have everything, been everywhere, done everything, and met everybody that matters. makes me appreciate what i have i suppose. a slice of crusty bread, a bowl of soup and my family at the end of the day is what keeps me on the rails. must be lucky or something. but then we all work at it....

Chefjohn

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

shakinghorizons

No flaming Toby - when I saw his daughter was only 11 I said the same thing!

nirab

Quotetoby2 - 6/9/2018  10:21 AM

don't flame me but is it wrong to say i don't get how a father could leave a young child in the world alone like that. for whatever reason. guess i'm lucky to not have everything, been everywhere, done everything, and met everybody that matters. makes me appreciate what i have i suppose. a slice of crusty bread, a bowl of soup and my family at the end of the day is what keeps me on the rails. must be lucky or something. but then we all work at it....

I get where you are coming from, but it just ain't that easy...mental health issues cannot be understood by folks who have not suffered from it, its that simple...compassion, and a willingness to understand are what you can offer, yet, there is no way of understanding in any way, to relate to a condition one has never experienced...I have suffered from depression in the past, and presently, its not easily understood, even by those of us who suffer from it...the closest description I have heard regarding depression is this... depression is anger that lacks enthusiasm...

consider this...we have all felt anger and have suffered...when someone else feels these emotions, those feelings are the same as yours...the thoughts however, are as different as the days ahead of us... Namaste...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

klamm143

Good reads............on a tragic topic that's touches many people around this world daily.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

nathanw13

As someone who suffers from both depression and asthma, I like to offer this anecdote I found online...

You wouldn't say to an asthmatic 'How can you possibly be having an asthma attack? There's all this air around!' would you? No, because we all know that's not how asthma works. Well, for me and for many others fighting with depression, anxiety, and other mental issues that's kind of how it works. It really doesn't matter how well things are going for you. It doesn't matter if you've got a great life.

I've got a great wife. 6 wonderful kids. A good job that I enjoy (most of the time). I wouldn't mind if my financial situation were better, but isn't that all of us? Yet when whatever switch in my head decides to flip and says 'it's not enough' then no matter how good things get, I'm officially the scum of the earth. I've been fighting it long enough that I've learned tricks to help me deal with it, and yes - I have prescriptions that help too. I hope that they keep working.

So anyway... that was a bit of a ramble, and really oversimplified... for for the couple of you saying 'I don't get it' I hope it helps your perspective a bit! No flaming here, we're all in it to learn and help one another!
Our country has plenty of five-cent cigars, but the trouble is they charge fifteen cents for them.

Will Rogers

toby2

Quotenathanw13 - 6/10/2018  9:45 AM  As someone who suffers from both depression and asthma, I like to offer this anecdote I found online...  You wouldn't say to an asthmatic 'How can you possibly be having an asthma attack? There's all this air around!' would you? No, because we all know that's not how asthma works. Well, for me and for many others fighting with depression, anxiety, and other mental issues that's kind of how it works. It really doesn't matter how well things are going for you. It doesn't matter if you've got a great life.   I've got a great wife. 6 wonderful kids. A good job that I enjoy (most of the time). I wouldn't mind if my financial situation were better, but isn't that all of us? Yet when whatever switch in my head decides to flip and says 'it's not enough' then no matter how good things get, I'm officially the scum of the earth. I've been fighting it long enough that I've learned tricks to help me deal with it, and yes - I have prescriptions that help too. I hope that they keep working.  So anyway... that was a bit of a ramble, and really oversimplified... for for the couple of you saying 'I don't get it' I hope it helps your perspective a bit! No flaming here, we're all in it to learn and help one another!

my perspective:

i too have been to the edge. i know how it can be a revolving door as well. not going to go into the horrors my sister, brother and i went through on the internet. but then we work on it for our own sake and that of our family. (sounds like you do too) my brother didn't deal with it well and died long ago. my sister actually went to college to try and figure it out and help others. and after practicing for years she now teaches students about her craft.

my statement wasn't a judgement it was a question. just sad to know personally what that little girl will go through the rest of her life and i thought i would say so. maybe i shouldn't have? and i sure as hell didn't want to point a finger etc.

i work in peoples homes and have for decades. people talk. one thing i know for sure is almost everyone has something ready to crush them and many of their stories make mine seem very small. i'm amazed how some of these people cope and that inspires me to carry on. 

well just got an emergency call. i'll smoke a cigar on the way and be thankful for today. hope the cigar ain't plugged....  :biggrin:  

nirab

Toby, your answer assumes too much, and fails to recognize the one thing you cannot understand...how someone else's mind is working. Your experience is valid...for you, and can be of use. However, understanding something without experiencing, is just an opinion. Depression is much more than an opinion issue. It's like saying "I hate broccoli, although I've never eaten it". I appreciate your willingness to understand, thank you.
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

toby2

Quotenirab - 6/11/2018  11:37 AM  Toby, your answer assumes too much, and fails to recognize the one thing you cannot understand...how someone else's mind is working. Your experience is valid...for you, and can be of use. However, understanding something without experiencing, is just an opinion. Depression is much more than an opinion issue. It's like saying "I hate broccoli, although I've never eaten it". I appreciate your willingness to understand, thank you.

good discussion. love you guys. time for a smoke and some Jagermeister. or a good cup a joe...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.