SUPREME COURT RULES STATES CAN REQUIRE SALES TAX FOR ONLINE PURCHASES

Started by amigodecigars, 06/21/2018 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

The Supreme Court has ruled states can require online retailers to collect sales tax even if they have no physical presence in a state, a move that will affect cigar retailers.

Internet retailers had long chosen to not charge sales tax based on a 1992 ruling from the Supreme Court. In many states, individual consumers were the ones legally responsible for paying sales tax for purchases where they were not charged, but those laws were rarely, if ever, enforced.  If a business had a physical address in a state, it’s required to charge sales tax for all orders in that state. But, if a business did not have a physical location in a state, it almost certainly did not charge sales tax in that particular states.

In recent years, some states have begun requiring retailers to charge sales tax. That led to the legal challenge of Quill Corporation v. North Dakota, the 1992 ruling that previously made it illegal.

The court was split 5-4—albeit not on conservative versus liberal leanings—regarding the decision. Justice Anthony Kennedy, who is largely credited for sparking the legal challenge, noted that in when Quill was originally decided there was $180 million in e-commerce sales versus $453.5 billion in retail e-commerce last year.  Chief Justice John Roberts was in the minority. He argued that the complex laws about how states charge sales tax—and at what level—on specific items will make it much more challenging for smaller retailers to comply with the law.

For the cigar industry, this is likely the first in a three-step process that could truly affect how cigars are sold.

Today’s ruling doesn’t require states to collect sales tax—they almost certainly will if they weren’t already—but today’s ruling won’t’ change anything immediately. The next step will be to see how strictly the courts interpret this ruling, specifically, whether it would allow states to force retailers to also pay excise taxes—also known as OTP taxes—on products.  Those taxes, specifically applied to certain products like alcohol and tobacco, can be far more punishing than sales tax. Furthermore, because most of the larger catalog and online retailers are based in Florida and Pennsylvania—two states with no tax on cigars—the move to collect additional taxes would be dramatic.

It also should be noted that those taxes are typically built into the advertised price, so consumers would see the difference before the checkout screen, whereas sales tax is added on.  Ohio has been known to try to collect excise taxes on cigars in the past, but most states, similar to the sales tax issue, have avoided going after consumers for missing taxes on online purchases.

"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

gitfiddl

It's my understanding that it's always been the responsibility of the purchaser to remit sales tax on purchases made out of state (and county and city in some cases) to the appropriate agencies.

Case in point, 15 years ago I was bidding to the City of Jacksonville to be a sound provider for some of the smaller events.  I had recently purchased a decent sized PA system from Carvin in California and some other gear from a couple other online vendors.  Total was just over $10K.  I wound up winning the bidding war, and landed several shows.  As it turned out though, one of the companies I outbid had some government connections at City Hall and got a little ticked the lost.  He put a bug in the ears of the "revenuers", and since I was contracting to the City, they requested proof of purchase, etc, and long story short, I wound up having to pay about $700 to the City and State for unpaid sales tax.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

shakinghorizons

Fingers crossed that it doesn't go any farther, but we all know what the end verdict will be.

DonM

A lot of Companies already charge State tax for purchases ( ie Amazon ) so if that is the worst of it, we can survive unless you are ordering from a state that has ridiculous sales tax.  Most of the big online cigar businesses are not in say....NY.  It will still be less expensive than purchasing from B&M's exclusively

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

toby2

i don't mind sales tax. it's the sin taxes and SCHIP bs that isn't right. left wing money grabbing for their hand out for a vote programs get me pissed off. more reason to shop over seas if this thing gets ugly.

Deener27

This is not new news.  Most states with a unified sales tax code have been trying to attach assessments for the last few years to online purchases.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Cfickter

So looking back at my recent orders
Flatbed, Atlantic, cBid, & Cigar Page all charged me PA sales tax, which they should since I also live in PA
Small Batch (CA) did not
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.