Boveda Question

Started by Chefjohn, 07/05/2018 12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I have 2 Boveda 69% packs in my small humidor and my hygrometer which was calibrated with the Boveda calibration kit reads from 66-64%. Does anyone know what the +/- is with the Boveda packs?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

appollo

Maybe your humidor is not giving a good seal.

Chefjohn

I think that is probably the case. It's a relatively inexpensive one I received as a gift and I purposely went with the 69% looking to target a 64-65% RH in it anticipating it not having the best seal.

Silverstix

IMHO 64%-66% is perfect. But prime suspect for the numbers being lower than 69% would be a seal issue.  Humidor could also not have been seasoned thoroughly enough, or the cigars you put in are a little on the dry side. I wouldn't sweat it, 64-66 is fine

Chefjohn

Thanks Tom. I actually am happy with where the RH is. I was just wondering what the average variance is that others have had with the Boveda packs.

Silverstix

QuoteChefjohn - 7/5/2018  2:47 PM  Thanks Tom. I actually am happy with where the RH is. I was just wondering what the average variance is that others have had with the Boveda packs.

Gotcha. In an air tight environment, with consistent temps, it's dead on. +/- 2% is acceptable per Boveda.

BUT temperature variations can swing the RH, even in an airtight environment. Higher temp swings cause the RH to rise quicker than the Boveda can adjust. Cold temp swings cause the RH to drop quicker than Boveda can adjust.  Now if you factor in a humidor without a perfect airtight seal, it's not surprising for a hygro to be reading 3-5% off of what your Boveda is rated for.

Chefjohn

That makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to be changing this humidor. Probably go the tupperdor route.

Silverstix

Big fan of tupperdors.  End of the day though John, cigars are pretty resilient. Anywhere in that 63%-68% range is more than acceptable.  Lesson I've learned is don't sweat the small stuff, if they are smoking good then just enjoy them and don't stress it

nirab

You are sitting purdy...enjoy them sticks!  :biggrin:  :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Chefjohn

QuoteSilverstix - 7/5/2018  4:02 PM

Big fan of tupperdors.  End of the day though John, cigars are pretty resilient. Anywhere in that 63%-68% range is more than acceptable.  Lesson I've learned is don't sweat the small stuff, if they are smoking good then just enjoy them and don't stress it

Yeah I figure they grew without my help, as long as I try to keep a relatively good RH and stable environment they'll be just fine.

gitfiddl

I use 69% Boveda packs in several of my humidors and they sit right around 65% by my hygrometers.  I wouldn't sweat it.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

05Venturer

QuoteChefjohn - 7/5/2018  12:50 PM

I have 2 Boveda 69% packs in my small humidor and my hygrometer which was calibrated with the Boveda calibration kit reads from 66-64%. Does anyone know what the +/- is with the Boveda packs?

Your in perfect shape, there is no humidor built that seals perfect, it is very normal to run a bit below the Boveda pak humidity.
I run 65's in mine to try to maintain 62-63 as that is my preferred humidity.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.