Can't say I Have a Fav

Started by Koop, 07/07/2018 12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

I'm still learning my way around cigars, but I've found different cigars at different times really become my favorite - at that moment.

I like most of the Connecticuts I've tried - in no particular order these are in my regular rotation:

Oliva Connecticut Reserve
Romeo Y Julieta Capulet
Drew Estates Undercrown Shade
Sucker Punch King Hit
Perdomo Fresco

I haven't tried a Cameroon I didn't like. My current rotation includes:

Oliva Serie G
CAO CX2
H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon

Sumatra Wrappers have been hit or miss for me. I don't have one in the current rotation.
EDIT: I have Punch Bolos - an excellent small stick that's Ecuadorian Sumatra.

A Habano I really liked eluded me for a while but now I have El Suelo Terreno in my rotation and it's probably one the best values in my humidor. I just bought a box of Oliva Cain Habano 550 - it might be more than I can chew. Haven't tried it yet.

I can't find a maduro I really like - I've kind of given up. I favor a cigar that burns well without needing a lot of corrections or re-lights. I haven't had a maduro that performs well.

Those are my observations so far. I'm a noob, but I also realize my tastes will evolve and I'll continue to try new to me cigars.

Mike

Cfickter

Interesting on the Maduros. Which ones have u tried? maybe we can recommend some.
As for some other Connecticut choices
Roma Craft Intemperance EC XVIII
leaf and Bean by Oscar Connecticut
JSK Zlatno Sonce
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

junglepete

I nicely aged CAO Brazilia burns like a champ.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Koop

Cfickter - to be honest I haven't tried many maduros. mostly Oliva Baptiste - a pressed oval toro and Flor de Oliva Maduro 6x50. I had a couple of others early on, but nothing memorable.

Junglepete - I have a CAO Brazilia Go! in the humidor. I want to give it a little more time.

Thanks for the responses.

gitfiddl

I've had a couple issues with Mexican maduro wrappers (bad burn, bitter taste).  Pennsylvania and Connecticut broadleaf maduros tend to be better to me.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Cfickter

I think any wrapper can have misses. I don't thing u can judge one based on a sample or a similar wrapper on anyother cigar. I have had by far good experiences with Maduros. The Mexican San andres is great so are the. Brazilian Mata Fina (Liga No 9) and the Arapiraca (Roma Craft)

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

StogieDad

QuoteKoop - 7/8/2018  11:56 AM

Cfickter - to be honest I haven't tried many maduros. mostly Oliva Baptiste - a pressed oval toro and Flor de Oliva Maduro 6x50. I had a couple of others early on, but nothing memorable.

Certainly don't base maduros on that one.  Baptiste is a Famous Smoke private label and while some of those are good cigars, I have found a lot of construction and/or consistency issues with their private releases.  They are usually not top shelf.

Try some of Chuck's suggestions or I enjoy Crowned Heads Jericho Hill as a good one that comes to mind and is fairly easy to stumble across.  A good maduro can be earthy, sweet, and spicy and still not overpowering.  Keep your options open, you will be rewarded.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Koop

Tonight I puffed a Habano that I like, but it had a few burn issues and three corrections. I liked it so much, the corrections didn't bother me and I enjoyed for 110 minutes to a <1" nub. So maybe my issue with maduro is less a construction and burn issue and more flavor profile issue. I might not be a maduro guy, but I have a Padron 3000 maduro in the humidor to try and I'll keep an open mind.

Cfickter

@Koop
Shame there is not an address on your profile  :whistle:  just saying!

StogieDad

QuoteCfickter - 7/11/2018  9:36 AM

@Koop
Shame there is not an address on your profile  :whistle:  just saying!

Agreed....that is a shame. :biggrin:
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Koop

My wife and I are full-time travelers. We've been on the road in our 40' Motorhome for the last five years - so my address constantly changes.

Cfickter

QuoteKoop - 7/11/2018  2:30 PM  My wife and I are full-time travelers. We've been on the road in our 40' Motorhome for the last five years - so my address constantly changes.

That is cool, something I hope to also try out, unfortunately not good for sending bombs! 

Here is one more suggestion when trying wrappers.  We know the wrapper provides the flavor, but that flavor can be diminished or enhanced by the ring gauge.  The relationship of the filler/binder to the wrapper can be important to the flavors you experience.  I would suggest getting a sample pack of s single cigar line but with various wrappers.

Leaf & Bean by Oscar is one that you can find a four pack with a maduro, habano, Connecticut, and sumatra wrapper all in the same vitola.  Get the lancero.  

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.