Active Humidifier Question

Started by Chefjohn, 07/07/2018 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I found a good deal on a 150 count humidor and someone suggested that I might want to use an active humidifier and referenced the Cigar Oasis. Has anyone used this and what did you think?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

I used one years ago for for a chest sizes humidor when I was away for longer periods. But over the years I learned to keep chest size coolers for storage with much less work and no oasis. My desk top humidor, about 150ct,  does not require much more than a boveda pack if that. An oasis in a small humidor seems like overkill, but it's always fun to experiment and play. These days I'll just toss a small vessel with a piece of paper towel moistened with distilled water. Works just fine. :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cigary

Boveda paks and KL work well to control RH.  The only time most people use fans is when they have Wineadors or end table type of humidors that have a storage capacity of 500 or more.  The issue is more about keeping a stable environment of Temp/RH and fans help circulate the humid air that sometimes gets trapped on the bottom.  It takes time to get your RH to settle because of the wood having to be seasoned properly before putting your cigars in.  Wineadors are different as they are engineered to keep numbers where you want them...and then the issues of ensuring you tape the plug in the back of the unit but some still experience the high numbers on the bottom and lower on the top.  A plus or minus 2% is nothing to worry about because hygros can be off as much and that's even with the premium hygros.  Staying in a range of 62-68% is where you want to be and keeping your numbers stable where they aren't bouncing up and down a lot helps keep your quality where it belongs.

DonM

For a 150 ct, I too would recommend either Boveda packs or Heartfelt beads.  I used HF beads in a 500 ct and it worked awesome for 7 years.  Just give the beads a spray when you see the RH drop

Make sure you have a calibrated hygrometer so that you are not guessing the RH

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

WatchmanUSA

I have a 150 count wood humidor and I use Boveda.  Right now I have two, 320 gram 69% RH packs in it,  The current RH with the 69% packs is, 68.2%  In the dry winter months I user two, 72% 320 gram packs to maintain the same RH.  The packs I have will probably last 2-years.  Instead of buying an Oasis, get a SensorPush, get the two 320 gram Boveda (65% or 69%) packs.  Put all that in your humidor and then monitor the Temp and RH on your smartphone.  Then, only open your humidor to take out or put in cigars. The SensorPush will alert you if there are any Temp or humidity issues in your humidor.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

Chefjohn

Thanks Watch. That's what I've decided to do, use the Boveda packs. They've been working good for me so far. I am planning to use 2 320 gram 69% packs in it. Thanks fo your advice.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.