Back Off?

Started by Koop, 07/09/2018 12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

Maybe I need to back off a bit. This site and other cigar blogs have me looking at deals and reading reviews all of the time.

I'm less than three months into this hobby and I find myself with nearly 250 sticks on hand! Yikes, where will it stop?  :beer:

StogieDad

It won't stop.....
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Kid Montana

The first step to managing an addiction is admitting you have one...

I'd rather have a cigar...

nirab

welcome aboard the crazy train!!!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ninfiction

As long as you're still paying your rent/mortgage it's all good. No reason to fight it.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chefjohn

QuoteKoop - 7/9/2018  1:40 PM

Maybe I need to back off a bit. This site and other cigar blogs have me looking at deals and reading reviews all of the time.

I'm less than three months into this hobby and I find myself with nearly 250 sticks on hand! Yikes, where will it stop?  :beer:

I find myself in the same position Koop. I am reading everything I can get my hands on to learn and I'm wearing the poor guys in this forum down with all my questions and even now while we speak I have a tupperdor set up and I'm doing a little seasoning on the cedar trays, and I'm just a little over a month in.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Deener27

Where will it stop?

It won't and shouldn't.  Welcome to the rest of us.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Brlesq

You don't even want to know about the collection of cigars you will be facing 28 years from now.  I could open my own shop!  :rolleyes:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

appollo

I find That I have become a little more selective but that is after 900+sticks.Its a great journey. :-)

Otter

Welcome to the group officially ;-)
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

headfirst

We can all relate, sites like cbid did me no favors in tempering the pace those first couple years in.  I got up to around 2,000 and purged "down" to about 700, and like appollo said, you'll become more selective as you settle in to what you know you like.  Enjoy the ride!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Cfickter

What do you call 250 cigars? ............. A nice start!
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Cigary

40 years and it's still a great hobby.  I've spent enough on cigars to buy 2 Mercedes and BMW X5....almost makes me sick to think of it ....almost.

pferg

I started with a 50-75 count humidor and once i found this site it grew quickly to 200+ cigars in tuperware within 6 months. there is no stopping once your in

klamm143

It's already been said........but..........saying it again for emphasis.........IT WILL NOT STOP.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

BewareDaPenguin

Good luck I've only been here roughly 5 years and it does calm down a little bit, but at one point was running 2 full size humidors and a few desk tops here and there lol. This is a great community, find what you like and enjoy!
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

tvolball

Been there. Basically I was there, backed off, sold almost everything I had plus a humidor or two, and started over. I had sticks I would never smoke.

1. Don't jump on every perceived deal that comes along because somebody said its a great deal or a great smoke. You will end up buying crap you don't really like and it will just sit there. Everybodies taste is different and I guarantee you don't like some of the stuff that Bruce or Brian might like and vice versa.

2. If you have a local B&M, use them as your sampler. I go by mine and pick a different stick every time I'm in there and try it. If I don't like it I have only invested in one and don't have more that I won't smoke just taking up space. If you do find some you like then can look for the deals on them. Get to know the guy behind the counter and generally they make some pretty good recommendations. Me and Charlie at Burns ( my local B&M )have got to be good friends. His taste don't particularly agree with mine, but he knows what I like and will tell me stuff they have I haven't tried.

3. I'm a Broadleaf kinda guy so most, not all, broadleaf stuff I like. I'm also a medium to medium full strength guy a medium full body guy. There is a difference between strength and body and it makes a world of difference in the enjoyment of the smoke. Find out what you like in cigars and try sticks with that combo. I'm sure some will say I leave a lot on the table that I haven't tried because of my preference, but I generally enjoy what I smoke. I do have some favorite ISOM's that I keep on hand that are different then above.

Just a little advise from a recovering cigar whore. Hope this helps

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Gustoff

It simply keeps going...
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

Koop

Thanks for the advice tvolball. I don't plan to sell anything, but I'll probably smoke my inventory down some before I place another order. I have a few sticks I really like and I'm learning all the time. We travel throughout the summer and split the winter between San Diego and Mesa, Arizona - so I don't really have a local B&M store. I visit shops whenever one is nearby and buy a stick to try out here and there though.

toby2

cool! i like keeping several things going. yardgar work smokes, cool collectables, everyday etc. maybe ISOM's and so on. keeps my interest up. as far as boutiques/limited runs that kind of died with the new nanny state laws. i even keep a few trays for passes and secret Santa. it's fun and these dudes are fun to know around here.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.