An Great Learning Experience And A Question

Started by Chefjohn, 07/14/2018 10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

We are inNew Orleansfor the weekend and we went to the French Quarter and I found a place called The Cigar Factory where they were actually rolling cigars. I was fascinated watching theses artisans craft what looked like pretty decent sticks. I picked up a 3 stick sampler and two of the shapes they listed as Cafe and Numero Tres. I haven't heard of those. Is anyone familiar with that designation?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

shakinghorizons

No idea what those shape relate to, but being a custom roll, either smoke them in the next 3 months or put them down for a year or so separate from your other sticks. They will off-gas ammonia during that time and can contaminate your other stock.

Mind me asking what the sampler cost you?

Kman

Based on the size, shape and ring gauge from their website, https://cigarfactoryneworleans.com/ I would say that they are both Corona sized cigars. There are a number of brands/lines of cigars that use their own name designations instead of using a typical size descriptor. Generally knowing the size, shape and ring gauge, you can closely approximate what the normal designation would be.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 7/14/2018  11:40 PM

No idea what those shape relate to, but being a custom roll, either smoke them in the next 3 months or put them down for a year or so separate from your other sticks. They will off-gas ammonia during that time and can contaminate your other stock.

Mind me asking what the sampler cost you?

I don't mind at all Colin. They were $27. They came in a small cedar box so I may just store them in it. Thanks for the info

Chefjohn

Thanks Kerry. I thought it might be something like that.

05Venturer

I have smoked a few of those and they are a decent smoke IMO.  ENJOY
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

wescat

QuoteChefjohn - 7/15/2018  1:30 AM

We are inNew Orleansfor the weekend and we went to the French Quarter and I found a place called The Cigar Factory where they were actually rolling cigars. I was fascinated watching theses artisans craft what looked like pretty decent sticks. I picked up a 3 stick sampler and two of the shapes they listed as Cafe and Numero Tres. I haven't heard of those. Is anyone familiar with that designation?
I've been in https://cigarfactoryneworleans.com/    on Decatur ~ dozen times, I find it very enjoyable to watch the torcedors work. I have smoked a few of the Numero Tres, they were OK.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

gitfiddl

When I was in Key West back in November of '09, there were several places rolling cigars.  There was actually a roller at the bar we were playing at, Schooner Wharf.  I can't remember what factory/shop he was from.  I bought a couple the first night we played.  The next night, when we got there, the guy asked me what I thought.  I told him they were a little on the mild side, but good nonetheless.  He said something like "I'll fix that".  When he packed up and was leaving (we were still playing), he sat a bag of five cigars on the mixer next to me.  I could make out "ligero" as he hollered, competing with the PA.  They were pretty good cigars    :biggrin:
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

It was really interesting to watch. I gave me a real appreciation for the artistry of their craft.

amigodecigars

Their web site indicates 100% Nicaraguan fillers.  A freshly rolled cigar should rest for 30 days while the different tobaccos "marry" and the humidity is stabilized, as the tobacco is usually too moist in a newly rollled stick.
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cfickter

Been in that shop a few times.  One of very few u can also smoke in. They were grandfathered in when the smoking ban hit. I found Thier cigars enjoyable but nothing over the top
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Chefjohn

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.