Another Noob Question

Started by Chefjohn, 07/15/2018 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

Someone gave me an Ashton Cabinet #3. The foot comes to a point but is not closed. Am I correct that this is a perfecto and how do you light it?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

toby2

just light it or clip it and light it. i like to clip that type of cigar bcs i find the burn wobbles and i end up torching it anyway. but i think it's personal preference.

Chefjohn

Quotetoby2 - 7/15/2018  11:24 AM

just light it or clip it and light it. i like to clip that type of cigar bcs i find the burn wobbles and i end up torching it anyway. but i think it's personal preference.

Thanks Toby. The shape is a Perfecto correct?

wescat

Technically no. A perfecto has a tapered or special shape to the head and foot, but it does not have parallel sides.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Quotewescat - 7/15/2018  12:34 PM

Technically no. A perfecto has a tapered or special shape to the head and foot, but it does not have parallel sides.

What shape would you consider it? I've looked on several sites and they all referred to it as a different shape.

wescat

I would call that a long corona gorda with a perfecto foot. But that size/shape is commonly referred to as a perfecto. Technically, perfectos are supposed to "have a bulge in the middle".

As in this image:   https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/d/d4/Smoke-a-Cigar-Step-1-Version-2.jpg/aid158025-v4-728px-Smoke-a-Cigar-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

And this one too:   http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/preferidos-sapphire.jpg

IMO, the important point is, when you smoke it, does it give you pleasure?
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Quotewescat - 7/15/2018  1:13 PM

I would call that a long corona gorda with a perfecto foot. But that size/shape is commonly referred to as a perfecto. Technically, perfectos are supposed to "have a bulge in the middle".

As in this image:   https://www.wikihow.com/images/thumb/d/d4/Smoke-a-Cigar-Step-1-Version-2.jpg/aid158025-v4-728px-Smoke-a-Cigar-Step-1-Version-2.jpg

And this one too:   http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/preferidos-sapphire.jpg

That's what sass the making sense to me. Reference guides I looked at agree with what you said about the perfecto not having a straight barrel. Thanks so much Kevin.

wescat

QuoteChefjohn - 7/15/2018  3:48 PM

Quotewescat - 7/15/2018  1:13 PM

That's what sass the making sense to me. Reference guides I looked at agree with what you said about the perfecto not having a straight barrel. Thanks so much Kevin.
You're welcome John.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

wescat

I always light a perfecto tip as constructed. How the cherry spreads is indicative of the torcedors skill set, which is interesting to me. YMMV.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

That also agrees with what I've read. I like that. I really appreciate your input and advice

Cfickter

Perfecto is one of those cigar shapes that a lot of retailers and manufacturers take great liberty in applying.  While Wescat is right a true perfecto is tapered on both ends with the middle being at budge. U see a lot of loosely defined perfectos. In truth the Ashton Cabinet Selection #3 and the #1 and  #2 are closer to a Diadema shape but a slightly more rounded head. IMHO
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.