BBQ Questions

Started by pferg, 07/17/2018 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pferg

So as of Sunday i no longer have a bbq. It decided to catch fire and nearly start my deck on fire and enough that i needed a fire extinguisher to put it out and now its all warped that half the burners cant turn on. Good Sunday night.

I am now looking at new bbqs but was wondering about smokers over bbq's. what is everyones preference and why? Ive always used propane bbq so i have no clue on smokers.
Also looking for recomendations on brands that are rediculously priced. Thanks in advance for the advice.

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

If money was no issue Big Green Egg would be my choice. You can cook everything on them, smoke, grill, bake...

I have a Webber charcoal with gas ignition built into a cart. It grills like a champ, not sure I could smoke on it, never tried or researched it.

This is what I have https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/performer-deluxe-22-inch-freestanding-charcoal-grill-with-touch-n-go-ignition-green
This is not the admin you're looking for...

StogieDad

I have a Primo that is similar to a Big Green Egg.  If you want to dip into smoking, I would definitely recommend a ceramic or even pellet grill as you can get them hot enough to grill as well as keep it low and slow.  I also have a CharBroil Infared gas grill as well which is nice when I wanna cook quick and not heat up the ceramic.  I don't buy the Infared really makes much difference, but it is a good overall grill.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

Quoteninfiction - 7/18/2018  12:36 AM  If money was no issue Big Green Egg would be my choice. You can cook everything on them, smoke, grill, bake...  I have a Webber charcoal with gas ignition built into a cart. It grills like a champ, not sure I could smoke on it, never tried or researched it.  This is what I have https://www.bbqguys.com/weber/performer-deluxe-22-inch-freestanding-charcoal-grill-with-touch-n-go-ignition-green

I have a similar Weber to ninfiction's.  Have dad it for 16 years, I prefer using charcoal 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tvolball

To me, BBQ grilles are made for hamburgers, steaks, and such. Smokers are for long term cooking to gain the smoke flavor in the meat.

I have a large 5 burner gas grille that I use as mentioned. I also have a large stick smoker that I use regularly also to smoke pork butts, ribs, brisket, whole chickens, and other meats. Smoking is an art to get the right flavor and tenderness in your meats. It's not something you just put on and leave it. Like I said I have a stick smoker( uses logs ) I do not have a built in computer to maintain temperature like pellet or electric smokers do. I don't feel like that is true smoking. I get fire going, set my dampers to maintain my desired temperature, throw on another log as needed, watch my temp, and after a certain period of time I wrap my meat and place back on until done. The eggs are nice and I know a lot of people that have them but they are very expensive and you have a pretty limited amount of space. I almost bought one when I bought my smoker but decided I liked the challenge of a stick smoker. I try new ideas and get a little better every time I smoke. Electric smokers aren't really smoking at all to me.

Anyway, way to long here, but that's my take on smokers and grilles. If you like old school, buy and good stick smoker for long smokes and gas grilles to cook hamburgers on.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Chefjohn

Here's my set up. As a certified BBQ judge for the Kansas City Barbecue Society I would tell you that it's going to depend on what you want your smoker,grill to do. If funds and space are limited I would recommend the Weber Performer. You can grill and smoke on it.

3_FFB9857_4_FF9_40_E0_9194_B07_EC65740_B9
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

appollo

Holy crap John,nice set up.Would I ever liked to be invited to one of your barbecues. :-)

Chefjohn

You have an open invite my friend.

shakinghorizons

QuoteChefjohn - 7/18/2018  8:13 AM

You have an open invite my friend.

Be over in 16 hours and 24 minutes - just enough time for some brisket!

shakinghorizons

The king daddy in my area are the Green Mountain Grills. Serious coin, but could replace a traditional grill without issue.

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 7/18/2018  10:58 AM

The king daddy in my area are the Green Mountain Grills. Serious coin, but could replace a traditional grill without issue.

Green Mountains are awesome cookers.

nirab

just visit Texas... :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:  :lmao:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

shakinghorizons

Quotenirab - 7/18/2018  2:42 PM

just visit Texas... :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:  :lmao:

Not West Texas - no such thing as good BBQ there!

c9belayer

I have a Masterbuilt 40 electric smoker, heavily modified with a PID controller, and their separate smoke generator option. I can smoke-cook anything with very little effort and maintain a 2-degree temperature range. I really recommend it, but it is NOT a grill, so it's not great for burgers, steaks, etc. Last weekend, I did a couple of tri-tips, a whole chicken, and a huge mess of beans for a BBQ party. Everything came out wonderfully smoky and delicious. Of course I smoked a Drew Estate KFC Fat Molly while I waited for the temps to hit. Details of my mods are downloadable as a PDF here: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes40-mods-the-saga.276768/#post-1844857.

A one-size fits all solution would be the Traegers. I believe they can smoke and grill. Costco sometimes carries them, too. Good luck!
-- c9belayer

shakinghorizons

Traeger's are garbage IMO. I know many people they own them and everyone once of them is either waiting for replacement parts or has replaced them in the past. I'm not talking 10+ years of ownership, these are within the first year.

StogieDad

Quoteshakinghorizons - 7/18/2018  9:42 PM

Traeger's are garbage IMO. I know many people they own them and everyone once of them is either waiting for replacement parts or has replaced them in the past. I'm not talking 10+ years of ownership, these are within the first year.

I have a buddy that has one and LOVES it.  But every time we have steaks I don't think it gets hot enough for my liking to get a good sear.  I think they do fine for smoking, but I prefer my charcoal and hardwoods myself.   Just my taste though.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

gitfiddl

I've got a cheap $90 "Expert Grill" charcoal grill from the WalMarts I use for grilling.  For smoking, I'm still using a 90's era New Braunfels Black Diamond offset smoker.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

c9belayer

Thanks for the input ShakingHorizons... Didn't know that about Traegers.
-- c9belayer

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 7/18/2018  9:42 PM

I agree with Colin. Ive known several people that have had them and had a number of problems with them. If you're interested in a pellet smoker check out Rec Tec.

pferg

Thats for all the advice on this. I think i want both now though. most of my cooking is burgers and steaks but i like to do ribs and roasts as well.

wescat

Quoteshakinghorizons - 7/18/2018  6:46 PM

That's definitely not true.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

nirab

Quotewescat - 7/19/2018  10:32 PM

x2 :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

wescat

Quotenirab - 7/20/2018  3:41 PM

I miss the fu$k outta West Texas BBQ. If you ever in Lubbock and hungry, get some Q at Bigham's:  http://www.bighamsbbq.net/index.html

They had damn fine brisket and ribs back when I lived there.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Quotewescat - 7/20/2018  3:10 PM

Quotenirab - 7/20/2018  3:41 PM

I miss the fu$k outta West Texas BBQ. If you ever in Lubbock and hungry, get some Q at Bigham's:  http://www.bighamsbbq.net/index.html

They had damn fine brisket and ribs back when I lived there.

I judged a couple of contests in the West Texas area and there is definitely some good Q there.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.