Body vs Strength

Started by Koop, 07/22/2018 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

I see descriptions of body in reviews that show a range of;
Mild-medium-strong

Then I see strength described with the same terms, but they don't always coincide. I don't understand the difference between body and strength - can someone please enlighten me?

Chefjohn

QuoteKoop - 7/22/2018  9:46 PM

I see descriptions of body in reviews that show a range of;
Mild-medium-strong

Then I see strength described with the same terms, but they don't always coincide. I don't understand the difference between body and strength - can someone please enlighten me?

I had the same question Michael. Here's a great article that shed some light for me.

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-cigars/articles/body-flavor-strength.html
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cfickter

Certainly strength and flavor are two major rankings used by most people.  But I think the 'body' is BS and after reading that article it really confirmed it to me.  If you are so worried about the weight of the smoke on your palette, then you are missing the true enjoyment of the smoke.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Koop

Thanks guys, that helps.

junglepete

I use body and strength interchangeably. In other words, they are sort of the same to me.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

toby2

i've always used strength as just that. strength of the cigar. so a strong cigar might require a meal beforehand for some and one not very strong could be something for around the morning. the body to me is the how heavy the flavors come across. some cigars are very light and have subtle flavor while others are more pronounced. or as in the body built its way up toward the nub. until just now i thought that was the accepted norm and never gave much thought why i came to those conclusions. interesting to read other's take on it. if i'm wrong it of course wouldn't be the first time.  :biggrin:

Silverstix

Agreed with Toby.  Body to me is how long the finish is, how much the flavors of the cigar permeate and make the experience. Strength is the nicotine hit you get, which I have only felt once in my life with a big ol' Padron 45.

Silverstix

I think it's annoying when a review says "this cigars was medium-full"......medium-full what?

Chefjohn

Great explanation by Toby and Tom.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.