Nat Sherman WTF

Started by 05Venturer, 07/31/2018 05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

klamm143

Interesting read.....thanks Kent.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

ninfiction

Didn't think their cigars were great anyway, just one more reason to not buy them.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chefjohn

Well I haven't tried their smokes yet and now I definitely wont. Thanks for posting that Kent.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

shakinghorizons

Wow, might as well put what I have from them in the campfire. Not that they were any good to begin with!

kurtb718

WTH , no Nats for me

appollo

Never smoked one ,never will now.

Caveman Steve

That sucks but not sure I'd blame Nat Sherman.  Sounds like they are a very small player in this without much clout to veto the decision.

I've had a few very good Nat Shermans (and some dog rockets)  Been a couple years.  As I recall, the "Timeless" line isn't bad.

Just my .02c
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

benchjockey

I'd boycott them for this except the only blend of theirs I tried was so bad the boycott was already in place.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

toby2

have you ever seen the CEO smoke a cigar? it's pathetic. very obvious he hates cigars. look up some interviews with him with a lit cigar.

Brlesq

Never smoked a good Nat Sherman , so my boycott is worthless because I don't buy them anyway
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

Caveman Steve

Come on guys.  Quite a few 4 star + reviews in the database from well respected members of this site.  

Lets not fall into a "mob" mentality here.

Don't know what to say about the "pathetic CEO who obviously hates cigars" comment.  That's just not right.  Can't imagine there is any evidence of that.

Don't take me wrong guys.  I'm not a Nat Sherman apologist.  I just don't think we're being very fair in this case.
"yesterday I did nothing, and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday"

Beegerply

For me I'm a Nat Sherman fan I've smoked a lot of them, have for years and will continue to smoke them. Some times I don't really believe what's printed in large publications, just fake news to me, lol. That's my .02 cents    :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Silverstix

Always enjoyed going to the Nat Sherman Townhouse in the city, and I probably will again if I'm in the area. But I won't go out of my way to buy Nat Sherman, mainly because their cigars are nothing spectacular.  I take this whole thing to be more of a statement from their parent company, which I guess speaks for Nat Sherman so I get it.  At the end of the day, they won't miss my $40 or however much I'd spend on a fiver....if I liked them, I'd buy them.  But I don't so I won't, simple as that.

Cfickter

Quoteninfiction - 7/31/2018  9:37 PM  An interesting review of what Altria really said...not quite as damning as the CA article  https://developingpalates.com/editorials/cigar-editorials/cigar-editorial-analyzing-altrias-comments-to-the-fda/

Brian, thanks for the link but lets keep one thing in mind the bottom line is that they came out in favor of FDA oversight, period.  A lot of the Altria's statement could be put to dance music.  You cannot have it both ways.  Instead of saying that there should be no regulation they are saying that premium cigars should be regulated differently, and some sort scientific basis should be applied but they don't say what that basis should be. 

In the end FDA regulation would would benefit a large company like Altria by removing the highly competitive marketplace, many smaller brands like Flatbed, Warped, Black Label and maybe even Roma Craft could fall away because of the costs, leaving a hungry market to a smaller field of suppliers. 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

StogieDad

QuoteCfickter - 8/1/2018  11:12 AM

Quoteninfiction - 7/31/2018  9:37 PM  An interesting review of what Altria really said...not quite as damning as the CA article  https://developingpalates.com/editorials/cigar-editorials/cigar-editorial-analyzing-altrias-comments-to-the-fda/

Brian, thanks for the link but lets keep one thing in mind the bottom line is that they came out in favor of FDA oversight, period.  A lot of the Altria's statement could be put to dance music.  You cannot have it both ways.  Instead of saying that there should be no regulation they are saying that premium cigars should be regulated differently, and some sort scientific basis should be applied but they don't say what that basis should be. 

In the end FDA regulation would would benefit a large company like Altria by removing the highly competitive marketplace, many smaller brands like Flatbed, Warped, Black Label and maybe even Roma Craft could fall away because of the costs, leaving a hungry market to a smaller field of suppliers. 

That is the play for sure.  Altria itself would love to have all the smaller players that can't afford to play be knocked out of the market, therefore they would be the big fish in the small pond.  How much Nat Sherman has to do with that, I doubt much.

I have enjoy several of the blends, especially the Timeless line.  I don't seek them out nor keep many around, so it won't affect my cigar preference much if at all.  But this is what happens when companies are forced to "sell out."  Whether or not Nat Sherman would have been a loud voice in the conversation over regulation isn't relevant, since they have no voice at all with Altria worried about overall profit margins.  Just the world we live in unfortunately.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

QuoteStogieDad - 8/1/2018  2:17 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 8/1/2018  11:12 AM  

That is the play for sure.  Altria itself would love to have all the smaller players that can't afford to play be knocked out of the market, therefore they would be the big fish in the small pond.  How much Nat Sherman has to do with that, I doubt much.  I have enjoy several of the blends, especially the Timeless line.  I don't seek them out nor keep many around, so it won't affect my cigar preference much if at all.  But this is what happens when companies are forced to "sell out."  Whether or not Nat Sherman would have been a loud voice in the conversation over regulation isn't relevant, since they have no voice at all with Altria worried about overall profit margins.  Just the world we live in unfortunately.

What company would ever voluntarily raise their hand and say "yes Mr Government, I would like to be regulated" 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.