Not Good - It Happens

Started by Koop, 08/01/2018 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koop

Not a great cigar night - but these are first world issues. Last night I puffed a Perdomo Fresco Natural Toro. I know, it's a bundle value smoke, but Nick Perdomo doesn't disappoint.  Tonight I thought I'd try something new - I've only been at this for a few months. I fired up a CAO Brazila Gol! I bought it in Nashville at the Cigar Club. It had been in my humidor for 71 days. It wasn't good. To be fair, I think it suffered somewhere along the line - but not in my humidor - the wrapper cracked and the taste was indifferent - no flavors to describe. I gave up half way through. So, being the glutton for punishment that I am I lit a Flor de Oliva Maduro. Not a good cigar night for me.

ninfiction

I think we all have nights like that. I've had nights where a grab a $10 cigar and it just goes to sht and I toss it half way thru. I also have those nights where I smoke a $2 stick and everything is right in the world.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Beegerply

I would agree some days it just doesn't pay to smoke a cigar LOL.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Silverstix

QuoteKoop - 8/1/2018  10:27 PM  Not a great cigar night - but these are first world issues. Last night I puffed a Perdomo Fresco Natural Toro. I know, it's a bundle value smoke, but Nick Perdomo doesn't disappoint.  Tonight I thought I'd try something new - I've only been at this for a few months. I fired up a CAO Brazila Go! I bought it in Nashville at the Cigar Club. It had been in my humidor for 71 days. It wasn't good. To be fair, I think it suffered somewhere along the line - but not in my humidor - the wrapper cracked and the taste was indifferent - no flavors to describe. I gave up half way through. So, being the glutton for punishment that I am I lit a Flor de Oliva Maduro. Not a good cigar night for me.

If it makes you feel any better, I had the same experience with my first and only CAO Brazilia Go......it was just flat as anything. Great smoke output, construction was ok, but no flavors whatsoever.  I know some people love them, but I had a bad experience.  First world problems is right!!  :cry:

Cfickter

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the GOL!
I have smoke dozens of them and had few issues with burn and quality.  Sure you get some to burn wavy a little, but do not recall wrapper cracking issues.  As for flavor, I guess it can vary depending on people's pallets, but find them enjoyable, not overly complex, but more along the classic maduro lines
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

benchjockey

Tough going 0-for-3 in a single night. When I have a bad experience I'll comeback with a tried-and-true old favorite I know won't let me down.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cigary

Had the same experience with the CAO Brazila Gol many years ago and after smoking it thought that this is a cigar that is over rated and dull....how could these be popular at all?  One day I picked one up that had been given to me in a PIF and thought....oh brother....might as well give it a try and if it sucks it gets thrown into the pine trees.  5 minutes into this cigar and it was like....is this the same one I smoked years before ( it was becuz it had the same banding...same everything ) but the taste was really really good.  We have to be honest with ourselves that our tastes change no matter if we're newbs or Veterans and taste buds die off or medications change etc. etc.  Revisiting brands we tried and didn't like at the time is sometimes worth the effort to try again and then find ourselves discovering we're in for a treat for whatever reasons ...#secondchances!!

Beegerply

QuoteCigary - 8/2/2018  3:12 PM

Had the same experience with the CAO Brazila Gol many years ago and after smoking it thought that this is a cigar that is over rated and dull....how could these be popular at all?  One day I picked one up that had been given to me in a PIF and thought....oh brother....might as well give it a try and if it sucks it gets thrown into the pine trees.  5 minutes into this cigar and it was like....is this the same one I smoked years before ( it was becuz it had the same banding...same everything ) but the taste was really really good.  We have to be honest with ourselves that our tastes change no matter if we're newbs or Veterans and taste buds die off or medications change etc. etc.  Revisiting brands we tried and didn't like at the time is sometimes worth the effort to try again and then find ourselves discovering we're in for a treat for whatever reasons ...#secondchances!!

I would have to agree on that, I think the first time I smoked a San Latano Oval it really didn't work for me. a few years later wham it was a great smoke still enjoy them.
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

c9belayer

Yeah, it happens. On those evenings when the first cigar (and sometimes second) cigar(s) goes to sht, I always reach for a Liga Privada Papas Fritas. They've _never_ let me down.

So, dear geeks, what are the favorite cigars you return to when you want to end a stream of bad-cigar-luck?
-- c9belayer

benchjockey

Quotec9belayer - 8/3/2018  6:03 PM  So, dear geeks, what are the favorite cigars you return to when you want to end a stream of bad-cigar-luck?

Probably something by Crowned Heads or RoMa Craft.

c9belayer

BenchJockey: Agreed on the Roma Craft! Another of my go-to cigars is The Envy; I buy those by the box when I can.
-- c9belayer

benchjockey

Quotec9belayer - 8/4/2018  10:41 PM  BenchJockey: Agreed on the Roma Craft! Another of my go-to cigars is The Envy; I buy those by the box when I can.

I've been smoking the Ambition from the same blend and love it.

klamm143

I have those days as well - sometimes get a great smoke then choose another from the same shipment / batch / box and it turns into a no taste flowering lopsided burn non-drawing un-enjoyable disaster that meets an early burial in the asss-hh canister.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Otter

My rule... life is too short for a bad cigar - after the first third sometimes less if it isn't hitting the mark I'll go pick another one :) if I am on strike 2 I'll usually go with a Tatuaje they rarely let me down.
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.