Bike trip in Cuba by retired USAF officer

Started by amigodecigars, 08/03/2018 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amigodecigars

In February Walter Henderson flew from Mexico to Havana for a week of biking around Cuba.  "Cuba, where nothing works, including the people.  Unemployment is 48% and of those who do work, 8 out of every 10 work for the government.  The stories about the old cars is quite true, but many of those cars are used to take tourists on tours of the city.  $30.00 gets you 2 hours in a 1952 Cadillac convertible and you can pile in as many people in as you want.  
We visited a tobacco farm, where we had the opportunity to purchase genuine Cuba cigars for $3.25.  The farm had been in this man's family for 3 generations, but only recently had actual title been put back in his name.  The government claimed it after the revolution.   After harvest, the government takes 90% of the tobacco, leaving the farmer with just 10% for his "own personal use".  He chose to demonstrate how to hand roll a cigar, then sell it to tourists.  I asked our guide if all farmers lost 90% of their crop to the government.  His reply, "Oh no, vegetable farmers only give up 60% of their crop".
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

Cigary

I want to go to Cuba so bad and with the Cruise Lines being able to take me there it's only a matter of time...either this year and certainly next.  The cost of being taken around the area for 2 hours for $30 sounds great....I'll certainly do that and hitting the cigar shops should be an experience.

DonM

I wand a ride in one of those `55 Chevy`s smoking a Cohiba !

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

QuoteDonM - 8/4/2018  5:24 PM

I wand a ride in one of those `55 Chevy`s smoking a Cohiba !

Me too Don.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

klamm143

QuoteChefjohn - 8/4/2018  7:51 PM  
QuoteDonM - 8/4/2018  5:24 PM  I wand a ride in one of those `55 Chevy`s smoking a Cohiba !  
Me too Don.

Times............3 

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Chefjohn

Quoteklamm143 - 8/5/2018  12:32 AM

QuoteChefjohn - 8/4/2018  7:51 PM  
QuoteDonM - 8/4/2018  5:24 PM  I wand a ride in one of those `55 Chevy`s smoking a Cohiba !  
Me too Don.

Times............3 

ROAD TRIP!!!  :dancing:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.