Retirement-Day 1

Started by Chefjohn, 08/03/2018 12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

Up at the crack of dawn. I guess the body hasn't gotten wind of the fact that we don't have to do that anymore. I guess 4+ decades of habit don't just leave that easily.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

c9belayer

Congrats, ChefJohn!

I've been out of work since April... maybe I'm retired and maybe not, lots of things up in the air. I would - however - recommend keeping your schedule; you get more things done in the morning (even if 'things done' means having a nice short smoke with coffee). Plus, it's better on the body/mind. In my case, I immediately shifted to getting up at 9 am and retiring after midnight, and that has NOT been good, so now I'm struggling to get back on my early-bird schedule... ;-)
-- c9belayer

ninfiction

Well on the positive side, you didn't have to hurry up and get ready to go anywhere.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Chefjohn

Quoteninfiction - 8/3/2018  2:51 PM

Well on the positive side, you didn't have to hurry up and get ready to go anywhere.

Thats true Brian. Thanks for the advice C9. I always have enjoyed the early morning hours and I agree thats when I feel I'm at my best.

Koop

Welcome to the Saturday Club - where everyday is Saturday. The real nice thing is you never have to go to Home Depot or Costco on the real Saturday when everyone else is there!

Chefjohn

QuoteKoop - 8/3/2018  5:18 PM

Welcome to the Saturday Club - where everyday is Saturday. The real nice thing is you never have to go to Home Depot or Costco on the real Saturday when everyone else is there!

I hadn't thought of that Michael. Great point, thanks.

benchjockey

You also have plenty of time to hang around the house and become really annoying to your wife.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Chefjohn

Quotebenchjockey - 8/3/2018  6:05 PM

You also have plenty of time to hang around the house and become really annoying to your wife.

She said I already do that.

appollo

John a guy I know retired here said when I asked him what its like.Every nite is a Friday nite and every day is a Sat.Enjoy it John you worked hard for it. :-)

Chefjohn

Quoteappollo - 8/3/2018  7:43 PM

John a guy I know retired here said when I asked him what its like.Every nite is a Friday nite and every day is a Sat.Enjoy it John you worked hard for it. :-)

Thank you Stephen, thats very kind of you to say. I was very blessed to be able to do what I love and love what I do.

Cap10_Morgan

Congrats, man!  Enjoy every second you've earned!
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cigary

Retirement is great but you have to be ready for it emotionally as well.  I retired in 1996 at the ripe age of 42 and after a 23 year career I never looked back.  Some people can't address the idea of waking up and not going to work....work is a pattern of behavior where you produce and do things to which are repetitive and you get used to this pattern over decades and then suddenly....you don't do this anymore and it can have profound issues unless your mind accepts it.  It's all about finding hobbies....getting involved with things where you feel you are producing and it can be very simple things.  I love to travel...I love my touring motorcycle...I love golf and reading so that takes up that "lost time" of being a workaholic where I used to work 16 hour days.....then it was like entering a different world.  Retirement is dependent on money and how one can fill their time...some make it look easy while others drive themselves and those around them crazy and I tend to do both. ( insert evil smile )

DonM

Congrats on retirement!  I havent worked in 3 weeks and sleeping in is 6 am.  

Enjoy retirement

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

I'm already lining up a couple of projects.

klamm143

Enjoy the days man.............this is what you worked towards so fill the days doing exactly what you want!!!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.