To Rotate Or Not Rotate

Started by Chefjohn, 08/04/2018 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

Hey guys. I read a lot of differing opinions concerning rotating the sticks in your humidor. What are your thoughts and practices about rotating your inventory?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Deener27

Once in a while I will move them around but mostly only to get to something I have not smoked in a while or to make room for more stuff.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

ntanner

It's a good idea but I don't really do it. Once in awhile I pull every thing out to check my inventory and move them around but that only happens about once a year.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Chefjohn

Thanks David and Neal. I've read a lot of differing opinions but one of the articles talked about shifting them around so that sticks that are on the bottom don't get misshaped from the weight of the ones on top of them. That kind of makes sense to me. I've also read that it's good to allow some air to circulate in the humidor occasionally. I just got a humidor that has an aerator screen on the bottom.

toby2

if i drag a bunch of stuff out and don't put it back the same way then it just got some rotation. 

i think eventually you will realize you haven't checked on your humidor in a while. you will go check it out and it will be fine. after several moments like that over time you will become more laid back about things like rotating and just the right humidity etc. i think everyone trips a bit at first and then they are like, fluck it. did they smoke good. cool.

Chefjohn

Quotetoby2 - 8/4/2018  10:24 AM

if i drag a bunch of stuff out and don't put it back the same way then it just got some rotation. 

i think eventually you will realize you haven't checked on your humidor in a while. you will go check it out and it will be fine. after several moments like that over time you will become more laid back about things like rotating and just the right humidity etc. i think everyone trips a bit at first and then they are like, fluck it. did they smoke good. cool.

I agree with you Toby. I'm already learning not to stress and obsess over things like exact RH and so forth. I just aim now to create the best environment for them that I can and they'll be just fine.

ninfiction

Sometimes I wonder when a cigar is burning slow on one side if it's because I never "rotate" my cigars. But then I think about the fact that cigars sit for years in aging rooms at factories or in boxes in humidors all over the world and they smoke just fine.

About once a year I do an inventory, so everything comes out of the humidor and goes back in. Actually in the middle of doing that now, not literally but I'm like a third of the way thru...it's a lot of work when you collect far more than you smoke.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cigary

I used to rotate years ago but haven't in such a long time that it doesn't seem to make a difference.  The idea is to ensure that your humidor is no more than 3/4 full so that you get a good exchange of air inside.  I bought these little "risers" that you place at the bottom of your humis/tupperadors that elevate things where air can get to the bottom which keeps you from having to rotate.

DonM

I am using a USB fan in my cabinet and does a real nice job at circulating air.  There is no need to rotate, the RH top and bottom are usually within 1% of each other

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

c9belayer

I have a wineador that I rebuilt with trays instead of drawers. Search the forum for "Whyntermute." I found despite having 2 small computer fans, the center trays get higher humidity by 2-4%, so I shift the trays once a week. The bottom one goes to the top, and everything else shifts down 1 level. It takes all of 30 seconds, and I get to see which cigars I haven't smoked in a while. As an added plus, I sometimes find some goodies I forgot I had. It's a habit now, but if I forget for a week or two, I don't fret - my babies are all smoking just fine.
-- c9belayer

Chefjohn

I'm seasoning my new humidor and I have 2 calibrated hygrometers, one one the bottom and one on the top trays. With 2 Boveda 320 gram packs on the lid I am expecting the top to read a bit higher but I don't think it will be enough to make any real difference.

klamm143

Mine get rotated when I open the bag to pull out a few - otherwise - they stay in a deep coma at 65% RH.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

WatchmanUSA

If you move them around, what do you think is the worst thing that could happen?

If you didn't move them around, what do you think is the worst thing that could happen?

Will either set of answers keep you up at night?

If it will, do something about it.  If not, go get a drink and relax.
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

gitfiddl

I don't worry about rotating cigars in my smaller desktops.  I do occasionally move the cigars in the bottoms of my larger humidors around, but not on any sort of regular schedule.  As for the weight of those on top of those pressing down on the lower ones, I don't that would be a concern at all.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

WatchmanUSA

Here is a Boveda video regarding rotating cigars in a humidor.
https://youtu.be/hFG5w_6-rOA
"Why pay $100 on a therapy session when you can spend $25 on a cigar? Whatever it is will come back; so what, smoke another one."  Raul Julia

Chefjohn

QuoteWatchmanUSA - 8/6/2018  12:25 PM

Here is a Boveda video regarding rotating cigars in a humidor.
https://youtu.be/hFG5w_6-rOA

Great video Duaine. It confirmed a thought and idea I had. I am currently seasoning a 200-250 count humidor using 2 Boveda 320 gram 84% packs installed on the underside of the lid. There are 2 top trays in this humidor and I have 2 calibrated hygrometers in the humidor that are within 1% of one another. I knew that humidity rises and questioned whether there would be good circulation. When I finish seasoning the humidor I am going to use 2 Boveda 320 gram 69% packs on the underside of the lid but I was thinking of putting a couple of 60 gram packs on the bottom just to be sure ample humidity is reaching the lower level once the top trays are loaded.

gitfiddl

QuoteChefjohn - 8/6/2018  1:11 PM

Great video Duaine. It confirmed a thought and idea I had. I am currently seasoning a 200-250 count humidor using 2 Boveda 320 gram 84% packs installed on the underside of the lid. There are 2 top trays in this humidor and I have 2 calibrated hygrometers in the humidor that are within 1% of one another. I knew that humidity rises and questioned whether there would be good circulation. When I finish seasoning the humidor I am going to use 2 Boveda 320 gram 69% packs on the underside of the lid but I was thinking of putting a couple of 60 gram packs on the bottom just to be sure ample humidity is reaching the lower level once the top trays are loaded.

I would definitely put something under the trays.  I've got two of the Empire/Windsor style 300-ct humidors  With just lid-mounted humidification, I was getting 65% on the top shelf and it was in the 50's in the bottom.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

Thanks David. Yeah I'm going to put some packs on the bottom as well. That's one of the great things about the Boveda packs, you cant overdo it with them. They've been working well for me.

ntanner

Glad to hear you found a humidor. 250 count will be a nice starter.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Chefjohn

Thanks Neal. I told my wife it was a nice starter. She was not amused.  :confused:

ntanner

QuoteChefjohn - 8/7/2018  4:35 AM

Thanks Neal. I told my wife it was a nice starter. She was not amused.  :confused:

You think she isn't amused now, wait till you fill it up and start looking for a cabinet instead or you have a couple large coolidors taking up what she considers valuable space, then come the questions like why do you need so many cigars and words like budget and self control start getting tossed around. :biggrin:

shakinghorizons

QuoteChefjohn - 8/7/2018  4:35 AM

Ha! Wait until you build a wineador and fill it, buy 2 Igloo coolers and fill them, then find a broken stand up freezer on Craigslist and fill that..........................lmao.

toby2

Quoteshakinghorizons - 8/7/2018  10:02 AM  
QuoteChefjohn - 8/7/2018  4:35 AM  Thanks Neal. I told my wife it was a nice starter. She was not amused.  :confused:
Ha! Wait until you build a wineador and fill it, buy 2 Igloo coolers and fill them, then find a broken stand up freezer on Craigslist and fill that..........................lmao.

yup..... deep sea chests are the best coolers for the money. lots of room and hold temp and humidity spot on. 

WatchmanUSA

Quoteninfiction - 8/4/2018  11:22 AM

Sometimes I wonder when a cigar is burning slow on one side if it's because I never "rotate" my cigars. But then I think about the fact that cigars sit for years in aging rooms at factories or in boxes in humidors all over the world and they smoke just fine.

About once a year I do an inventory, so everything comes out of the humidor and goes back in. Actually in the middle of doing that now, not literally but I'm like a third of the way thru...it's a lot of work when you collect far more than you smoke.

What you are describing is canoeing.  Canoeing refers to a severe divergence in the burn line of the cigar. This is one of the most common burn issues and is usually caused by an incorrect light, or by an unevenly humidified cigar. Also, if the wrapper is highly veined especially with large veins can contribute to canoeing.  Another factor can be the Cigar filler not being consistently filled through the Cigar with some areas being lightly packed and  other highly packed.  Canoeing can usually be prevented by rotating your cigar as you smoke it, which will allow the ash to heat more evenly.

If you notice your cigar is starting to canoe, try wetting the faster-burning side with a little spit to slow it down. If this doesn't work, you can fix the burn with a lighter by lighting the side that is burning more slowly.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.