Here's How I Dry box

Started by c9belayer, 08/04/2018 07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

There are many ways to dry box cigars. Here's mine.

I mounted some magnets on an old single-layer cigar box (the AVO 88 Limited Edition one that looks like a piano). It sits on top of my winedor and doesn't have any humidification in it. Every couple of days I'll pull out several cigars I want to smoke soon and place them in this dry box. The theory is that they'll shed extra moisture while they sit in this unhumidified box for a day or more. In my locale, the humidity in this dry box hovers around 45-55%.

When it comes time to smoke, I select a cigar from this dry box, unwrap it, and clip as desired. If it's good to go I smoke it. If it's still too snug, I'll put it back in the box and try another. If it's really tight, I'll break out the PerfecDraw and ream it but good before putting it back in the dry box to rest another day or two. I find cigars I've clipped generally loosen up in another day or three. I should admit that I like a somewhat open/loose draw. Sure, sometimes I'll just grab a stick from one of my humidors and go for it, but if it's not drawing right, it goes into the dry box for a few days.

Anyway, this really works for me. Anyone else do this?

-- c9belayer

Mautrak

I don't put that much work into it.  I keep everything in my humidor, and it remains about 69-70 ish.  I'll enjoy a cigar right out of the humidor, or keep it in a two finger case for a few hours before enjoying.  If it doesn't draw properly, it goes in the flower bed.  No Perfect Draw for me.  I'm here to relax and exhale for an hour, and anything that adds work/labor to that is not for me.

klamm143

Ditto to "The Mautrak" on the work part............Zip Locks - Broveda Packs at 65% - Tupperware Tuppidors - seal it up - let 'em sleep 'till I decide to wake a few up - Reseal - Put them back to bed..............NO PROBLEMS YET!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cigary

Dryboxing tends to get a lot of attention for something that should be what the other brothers are talking about....just keep your humis at the RH you like them at.  There is a fallacy of belief that one can change the chemistry of the cigar in a day or two from a RH of say 69% down to 65....not possible.  Letting a cigar "dry out" on purpose makes no sense if you are putting them into an environment that is too high for months getting them to that percentage....then reversing that plan to bring the RH down?  The conventional wisdom says it takes a week to change 1% of RH in a cigar ....if that is accurate then how much overall does the RH change in a day or two in a box?

Chefjohn

Quoteklamm143 - 8/4/2018  9:55 PM

Ditto to "The Mautrak" on the work part............Zip Locks - Broveda Packs at 65% - Tupperware Tuppidors - seal it up - let 'em sleep 'till I decide to wake a few up - Reseal - Put them back to bed..............NO PROBLEMS YET!!

I agree with you Kevin as well as Jeremy and this is something I'm coming to learn as a newbie. I use the Boveda 69% and it 's keeping them at a solid 67-68% and they're just fine.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

DonM

My humidor stays at 65%.  Top and bottom.  The cigars are ready to smoke unless it is a fresh box and they get a nap

"The Curmudgeon"

05Venturer

QuoteDonM - 8/5/2018  6:33 AM

My humidor stays at 65%.  Top and bottom.  The cigars are ready to smoke unless it is a fresh box and they get a nap

^^^^^ Right here^^^^^^ Any more work I need to put into it defeats the purpose.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Chefjohn

Quote05Venturer - 8/5/2018  7:37 AM

QuoteDonM - 8/5/2018  6:33 AM

^^^^^ Right here^^^^^^ Any more work I need to put into it defeats the purpose.

For me, the only "work" I put into mine is to freeze new cigars for 72 hours prior to introducing into my humidor where they get a 30 day rest minimum before smoking.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

gitfiddl

The only time I do any "dry-boxing", and it's been a while, is when I get cigars ROFT (that's "Right of the Truck" for the newbs :biggrin:) that I'm just jonesing to smoke.  I'll just take one or two and leave them on my desk overnight, as most cigars tend to be shipped wetter than I like.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

c9belayer

Thanks for the input fellas! My humis are all at 65-67% but as I said earlier, I do like a looser draw. This method works for me, and has saved cigars I would have otherwise tossed. Keep them comments coming!
-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.