Cigar aging and whatnot and other sundry musings

Started by gitfiddl, 08/05/2018 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

First, let me say as a bassist, keyboardist and low brass player, I finally found a good use for cellos.  I leave them on my cigars.  They're also nice for certain instrumental phrases.

But as for aging of cigars, in my 10 years or so of true cigar aficionado-dom, I've made the the following observations:

1)  No amount of aging is going to turn a dog-turd into a better cigar.  So don't even try.

B) Milder smokes will get a nice grassy, wheaty flavor and lighten substantially in strength.  Have three or four in the morning with no worries about over-powering your palate.

And III, and the gist of my post)  A hefty full-bodied cigar that was great to begin with usually turns into a spectacular cigar.  I'm a "budget minded" cigar and have stashed away my share of Pepin 5 Vegas Miamis, Partagas Blacks and original non-Cuban Pinar Del Rio Oscuros. I think they are awesome cigars at the start, but today, I smoked a
5 Vegas Series A Artisan that had been in my humidor for just over four years.  It still retained all the flavors I remembered, but was exquisitely smooth.

Patience, Grasshopper.  Stash away a couple of what are now your faves, and revisit them in a year or three.  Trust me.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

Thanks for sharing those insights from your experience David. That's definitely some great info. I recently purchased a few 5'ers to experiment with. I have some logs set up to record the changes starting at 30 days, then 90 days, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

What I hate is when I have cigars that I liked and smoked a lot of them, then got bored or did not like them anymore, then they would sit for years and I figured I would not ever smoke them so either sold them or gave them away. And then I started to keep one or two back and 4 or 5 years later they seemd like an awesome smoke and I kick myself in the ass for giving them away. The original Camacho Corojo comes to mind. Man they were a great smoke with 3 or 4 years on them.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

DonM

Quotejunglepete - 8/6/2018  3:59 AM

What I hate is when I have cigars that I liked and smoked a lot of them, then got bored or did not like them anymore, then they would sit for years and I figured I would not ever smoke them so either sold them or gave them away. And then I started to keep one or two back and 4 or 5 years later they seemd like an awesome smoke and I kick myself in the ass for giving them away. The original Camacho Corojo comes to mind. Man they were a great smoke with 3 or 4 years on them.

:lmao:

I gave a friend about 60 cigars back in January because I was trying to stay within my 500 CT humidor (I now have a tower, so it wouldn't have been a problem)  He told me yesterday that the JDN Antano and Camacho Corojo's were wonderful.  He can buy his own cigars now........

"The Curmudgeon"

ntanner

When I started getting serious about cigars and found this group I would pull a couple smokes out from each box I purchased and tuck them away.I smoked a Padilla 1968 that had right at 7 years in the humidor and I really enjoyed how smooth and balanced it was. Always liked them but after 7 years they are really good.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Silverstix

There's no doubt that cigars become different over time. I also wonder how much of it is our tastes changing over 3, 4, 5, 10 years time? Maybe it's a little bit of both.

toby2

cigars on the lighter side get to be like smoking nothing and can be aged too long IMO. but the bold and strong cigars get fantastic. i agree the JDN AntaƱo age very well.

Cigary

Count me in as far as resting/aging full bodied cigars.  These change in overall balance and tend to get better and better and if they were complex then it's an added bonus.  I tend to love Padron Cigars so I buy 2 boxes a year of the 2000 maddies and will smoke 1 box after it being rested for 6 months while I let the other box rest with all of the other ones from previous years.  I have a few that have from 1 to 5 years and they are really really good and when I got them on sale for around $100 they are easily worth 3 times that.  This is one of the best sticks to rest/age where you will get your moneys worth.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.