Ash Management

Started by c9belayer, 08/06/2018 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

I like to dream big. Someday I'll have a cigar lounge inside my home. It'll have ventilation, air-exchange, air filtration, a huge custom humidor, music system, big-screen TV, fridge, a little cordless vacuum for cleaning up dropped ashes, the works. Someday. The only thing I haven't figured out is ash management. It'd be nice to empty cigar ashtrays daily into _something_ large and when that _something_ fills up, it goes outside to the garbage can. I don't want to have to go outside, at midnight during bad weather, just to dump an ashtray. Any thoughts on what that _something_ would be? How do other herfers solve this problem?>
-- c9belayer

gitfiddl

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

I have a  couple of stainless steel trash cans that I use for dumping coals in from my smokers. I keep one of them in the garage and dump my ashes in it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Kman

I just use a regular kitchen size trash can with the odor blocking trash bags and it works just fine. If I have a nub that isn't quite cool enough to go in, I'll leave it for the next day, although generally, they cool so fast that it's not an issue.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Cfickter

Quotegitfiddl - 8/6/2018  5:06 PM  How about this?  

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

kurtb718

Quotec9belayer - 8/6/2018  1:49 PM

I like to dream big. Someday I'll have a cigar lounge inside my home. It'll have ventilation, air-exchange, air filtration, a huge custom humidor, music system, big-screen TV, fridge, a little cordless vacuum for cleaning up dropped ashes, the works. Someday. The only thing I haven't figured out is ash management. It'd be nice to empty cigar ashtrays daily into _something_ large and when that _something_ fills up, it goes outside to the garbage can. I don't want to have to go outside, at midnight during bad weather, just to dump an ashtray. Any thoughts on what that _something_ would be? How do other herfers solve this problem?>

How many cigars do you smoke a day if your worried about your ashes overflowing by midnight?? Buy a bigger ashtray.  :lmao:

Brlesq

Quotekurtb718 - 8/6/2018  9:28 PM

Quotec9belayer - 8/6/2018  1:49 PM

How many cigars do you smoke a day if your worried about your ashes overflowing by midnight?? Buy a bigger ashtray.  :lmao:

:lmao:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

DonM

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

klamm143

QuoteDonM - 8/7/2018  11:52 AM  My fix for ashes:

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

gitfiddl

I really wasn't trying to be a smart-ass :shades: with my initial response.  I think something like that would work.  There are similar more stylish upscale cans.  My father is in a really nice "memory care facility" and they have some really efficient cans for residents to dispose of soiled undergarments.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

c9belayer

What a bunch of clowns! Maybe that's why I feel right at home here.... My apologies for not being clearer (and leaving myself wide open).

Anyway, the _something_ I alluded to earlier must NOT let any smell out, not even a little bit. In order for this dream to come true I can't have ANY smell entering the rest of the house. Zip. Nada. Nothing! My wife has a nose on her that would make a sommelier jealous, so the challenge is to keep the ashes in something smell-proof. I have a HUGE stinky 4-stirrup ashtray that I use that will need to be dumped nightly into the _something_ because if you let those ashes stay exposed not even 3 hours of ozone will get rid of those odors.

I think KMan's note about odor-absorbing trash bags sounds like a great idea, especially when used in conjunction with the galvanized steel bucket that ninfiction suggested. I'll give this a go next year (if all goes according to plan)... Thanks for the help, and ribbing, ya cigar geeks!
-- c9belayer

nirab

flowerbeds love ashes and nubs... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

junglepete

I hate the smell of ashes and butts. When I lived in a condo in Florida 22 stories up, I always smoked on my balcony and used an ashtray. When I was done, I just tipped the ashes and butt(s) into the toilet and flushed. No smell, no need to conceal the odor, no risk of fire, all natural product into the sewer. Never once clogged the toilet. Now here in Oklahoma on the back patio I toss everything into a giant iron cauldron and shovel it all into a fire when it gets too full. P.S. as much as the ashes are good for the garden, and the butts too I suppose, the smell of those butts when it comes time to do the gardening is pretty gross. Good luck with with man cave when the time comes.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tvolball

Sounds to me like you need to just go outside and smoke on the back porch so can flick the ashes over the rail. All the smell stays outside, you don't have a problem emptying ash trays. You can fix your chair outside so that it looks thru the window to the inside where you watch The View with your wife. In the colder months you can simply get a nice gas fired heater to set at your feet to keep you snug and warm. Or you can do what everybody else that smokes inside does and deal with the smoke and smell that comes with cigar smoke and  empty the ashtray when it gets full into the garbage and when it gets full take the garbage out

There pal, problem solved!
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

c9belayer

JunglePete: Great idea. I'm adding "en suite bathroom" to the Cigar Lounge wishlist.
-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.