Best Cigar for Newbies

Started by c9belayer, 08/09/2018 03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

I find my taste in cigars runs on the medium-full to full spectrum. Occasionally, however, I'll have someone visiting who is quite new to cigars, and I'd like to have some smooth and mild to share with them. Any recommendations on a cigar for newbies that they will enjoy? That will leave a good impression on the wonderful world of cigars?
-- c9belayer

Chefjohn

I'm a newbie and I enjoyed the Montecristo White Label Rothschild.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

headfirst

AVO, Diamond Crown natural, flatbed black label, RoMa craft intemperance EC XVIII
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

klamm143

I agree with Gary (Headfirst) on the AVO and RoMa Craft's and I personally like the Ashton Aged Maduro (rates out in the mild category but does run about 10 dollars a stick)...ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

junglepete

Hemingway Short Story...mild - medium, nice taste, pretty looking, ...a nice all around intro cigar.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

c9belayer

Thanks for the input, geeks! I'll order some AVOs next chance I get. After all, the AVO XO Notturno was the cigar that kicked off my obsession 3+ years ago.
-- c9belayer

Cfickter

Quoteheadfirst - 8/9/2018  6:43 PM  AVO, Diamond Crown natural, flatbed black label, RoMa craft intemperance EC XVIII

Would agree on the EC so long as you tell them is has a spicy opening. I also the BA series is rich and creamy, not over powering  the HVC Vieja Cosecha No. 2 if you can find them  the dunbarton Umbagog also

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

the Undercrown Shade is a nice milder cigar as well

"The Curmudgeon"

gitfiddl

Cu-Avana Punisher maybe?  :-0

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

05Venturer

RyJ Reserva Real is a great medium smoke and usually a decent price point as well.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

LG510

I'm a big Macanudo Cafe smoker. Nice light smoke and is always a good BBQ smoke.

05Venturer

Quotegitfiddl - 8/10/2018  6:13 AM

Cu-Avana Punisher maybe?  :-0

:bigthumbs:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

kurtb718

Infused cigars like ACID & CAO are great beginner smokes.

frankj1

many Arturo Fuentes should do the trick
and from out of left field, Illusione 88 or 888 Candela...also their rothschild, usually can find +/- $4.50 per

Chefjohn

Quotekurtb718 - 8/10/2018  8:51 PM

Infused cigars like ACID & CAO are great beginner smokes.

Ive yet to try infused cigars. I have a humidor seasoning and my sticks a currently in the tupperdor I plan to use for infused smokes.

Koop

I'd go with Perdomo Fresco Natural - an affordable bundle cigar that's well constructed, mellow with a pleasant flavor and easy to smoke. Connecticut wrapper, Nicaragua filler.

MusicCity

I'd include Herrera Esteli as well. Very approachable.

Murphy223

Quotec9belayer - 8/9/2018  4:55 PM

I find my taste in cigars runs on the medium-full to full spectrum. Occasionally, however, I'll have someone visiting who is quite new to cigars, and I'd like to have some smooth and mild to share with them. Any recommendations on a cigar for newbies that they will enjoy? That will leave a good impression on the wonderful world of cigars?

Baccarat Cigars - Great Price Point, Great for Beginner... Smooth with a sweetened tip... I am picking up a bunch to have as an easy Go To smoke

Chefjohn

QuoteMurphy223 - 8/12/2018  12:19 PM

Quotec9belayer - 8/9/2018  4:55 PM

Baccarat Cigars - Great Price Point, Great for Beginner... Smooth with a sweetened tip... I am picking up a bunch to have as an easy Go To smoke

I was actually looking at those. Thanks for the input Murph. I'll pick some up.

wescat

QuoteDonM - 8/10/2018  4:37 AM

+1 on the Undercrown Shade, excellent cigar.

Perdomo Lot 23's can be had for $2.50, I prefer the natural over the maduro wrapper, very enjoyable cigar.

And Man O' War Puro Authentico Corona's can be had for $3.00, a very good cigar.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Chefjohn

Quotewescat - 8/12/2018  8:57 PM

QuoteDonM - 8/10/2018  4:37 AM

+1 on the Undercrown Shade, excellent cigar.

Perdomo Lot 23's can be had for $2.50, I prefer the natural over the maduro wrapper, very enjoyable cigar.

And Man O' War Puro Authentico Corona's can be had for $3.00, a very good cigar.

Proof that a good cigar doesn't have to be an expensive cigar and that an expensive cigar isn't necessarily a good cigar.

Murphy223

QuoteProof that a good cigar doesn't have to be an expensive cigar and that an expensive cigar isn't necessarily a good cigar.

THIS ^^^^^ .  Smoke what you like

LG510

I just recently got into smoking, hence why I'm a newbie here. So far I'm a fan of CAO. Also just looking for something on the cheap-ish side to figure out what I like.

PETE314

I agree about the macanudos...that is how I started...They are not overly expensive...check out 5 Vegas...anther good smoke for the cost. and really good for beginners.  I try to have a bunch of the Gran Habano's available for newbies...Consider also some of the different and lighter Alec Bradley...The MAXX was one of my favorites starting out.  Good maduro to start on...
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

toby2

if someone mentioned it i didn’t see it. 

all good recommendations for sure. my advise would be to be cautious about buying a bunch of something you like now. i have given away a good bit of what i stocked up on in the early days bcs i found a good deal etc. tastes will change and the cigars may change as well. and not always for the better. 

anyway good hunting!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.