What Box To Bring to a Wedding?

Started by c9belayer, 08/21/2018 06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

Here's a fun question: Which box of cigars should I bring to my son's wedding in November? I'm going to be proud-as-a-peacock. Any suggestions as to what I should be handing out?
-- c9belayer

Kid Montana

La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amore Churchill
http://ashtoncigar.com/cigars/la-aroma-de-cuba-cigars/la-aroma-de-cuba-mi-amor

Fantastic medium profile, Ashton quality, fairly inexpensive, and in the Churchill vitola, a true celebration cigar for experienced and new smokers alike.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Mautrak

I think the best bet is to bring two selections.  A box of something relatively inexpensive because you'll hand out cigars to people who will put them in a pocket and not enjoy it, or who will puff once or twice and then admit they don't enjoy cigars, or will light up the cigar and then immediately get in trouble with their other half and toss the barely lit cigar in the bushes.  Way too much waste going on for nice cigars.  Just bring a name that is recognizable by the general public so they can say, "Oh, those are good.  I've heard of those."  You'll be a hit.

That said, the second selection you bring is for you and anyone else you know that enjoys cigars. A nice, special occasion cigar that is more high end.  You probably don't need to bring many of those.  Just a handful or so for the aficionados.  You can enjoy that one while passing out the other cigars to those who are interested.

I was recently in a wedding in which the groom's father brought a box or two of Romeo Y Julieta's to pass out, and a travel humidor with Liga Privada #9's for those of us who enjoy them.

headfirst

When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

QuoteMautrak - 8/21/2018  8:48 PM

I think the best bet is to bring two selections.  A box of something relatively inexpensive because you'll hand out cigars to people who will put them in a pocket and not enjoy it, or who will puff once or twice and then admit they don't enjoy cigars, or will light up the cigar and then immediately get in trouble with their other half and toss the barely lit cigar in the bushes.  Way too much waste going on for nice cigars.  Just bring a name that is recognizable by the general public so they can say, "Oh, those are good.  I've heard of those."  You'll be a hit.

That said, the second selection you bring is for you and anyone else you know that enjoys cigars. A nice, special occasion cigar that is more high end.  You probably don't need to bring many of those.  Just a handful or so for the aficionados.  You can enjoy that one while passing out the other cigars to those who are interested.

I was recently in a wedding in which the groom's father brought a box or two of Romeo Y Julieta's to pass out, and a travel humidor with Liga Privada #9's for those of us who enjoy them.

I think this is a great idea.I will second it. :thumbsup:

Chefjohn

QuoteMautrak - 8/21/2018  7:48 PM

Great recommendation.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

ninfiction

I agree with Mautrak, bring 2 selections. The problem being that most people won't want to sit around and smoke a cigar for an hour or 2.

I suggest something short, like Arturo Fuente Short Story. Not too strong and not offensive, very easy to smoke even for non smokers.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cfickter

When my daughter got married last July I had about 3 boxes but worked in a mixture of sizes and strengths.  Had some ISOMs as a treat for veteran smokers, had some short Smokes like the La Imperiosa Magicos, and a selection of Panaceas
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Cap10_Morgan

Shouldn't the question be what cigars your guests are bringing YOU?  lol  I agree with everyone else.  Something cheap that you can't get at a gas station and most people won't know the difference.  Anything other than Acid and Swisher Sweet and most people will think it's something special.  Then something special for a handful of people you know will enjoy the difference.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

klamm143

Agreed - Two selections - one for the 2nd stringers and a nice selection for your ALL STARS. Good luck with the festivities.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cfickter

Quoteklamm143 - 8/22/2018  5:11 AM  Agreed - Two selections - one for the 2nd stringers and a nice selection for your ALL STARS. Good luck with the festivities.

the two cigar option is a good one, but you cannot control which one they take.  So as a side suggestion keep a few really premium ones in your jacket to hand out to those you know are the serious smokers

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Beegerply

Congratulations on your son getting married, and what everybody else said.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

c9belayer

Thanks, everyone! Great input about the dual-cigar offerings - that's what way I'll go. I also like the AF Short Story idea, because I like those myself, so if I have leftovers... why, good for me! Thanks again for all your help (ain't this site just the best?!).
P.S. I'l also look at Flatbed's personal bands... I guess the Panacea blend is the way to go.
-- c9belayer

Brlesq

Quotec9belayer - 8/22/2018  4:01 PM

Thanks, everyone! Great input about the dual-cigar offerings - that's what way I'll go. I also like the AF Short Story idea, because I like those myself, so if I have leftovers... why, good for me! Thanks again for all your help (ain't this site just the best?!).
P.S. I'l also look at Flatbed's personal bands... I guess the Panacea blend is the way to go.

Flatbed usually has a discount code for 20-25% . . . I don' know the current one but I'm sure somebody here has it.

Congrats to the happy couple!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Mautrak

QuoteCfickter - 8/22/2018  8:39 AM

the two cigar option is a good one, but you cannot control which one they take.  So as a side suggestion keep a few really premium ones in your jacket to hand out to those you know are the serious smokers

I'm with Chuck on this one, as I think the two cigar option is the way to go.  But my thinking is that one is a box that you have handy to offer to people you don't know as well, the other you keep in a coat pocket to pass out to the select few who appreciate it.  Don't let people choose between the two offerings.  You're in charge.  As far as most people will ever know, there was only one choice.  Only a select few would know otherwise.

Brlesq

QuoteMautrak - 8/22/2018  8:02 PM

QuoteCfickter - 8/22/2018  8:39 AM

I'm with Chuck on this one, as I think the two cigar option is the way to go.  But my thinking is that one is a box that you have handy to offer to people you don't know as well, the other you keep in a coat pocket to pass out to the select few who appreciate it.  Don't let people choose between the two offerings.  You're in charge.  As far as most people will ever know, there was only one choice.  Only a select few would know otherwise.

MORE FAKE NEWS!!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 

PETE314

Definitely agree with Mautrak on this one...First and foremost...you control who gets what...bottom line...so you don't have to worry about people taking the wrong cigar...Just about everyone has heard of RyJ, Macanudo, etc.  I would go that route....I know you can get good deals on Bully's....But then a Travel Humidor in a discreet location that can hold nicer things....if you are worried about someone taking your Opus X Destino al Siglo or your Behike 56 instead of the Liga...then keep the Opus and Cohiba in a 2 or 3 finger in your tux Jacket pocket.  The point is...you control who get's what...I personally would hold what I am smoking on me...I would not need to grab from either box...and you only let "real" BOTL's (and SOTL's) into the good box...because they would never grab a handful and run.
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

nirab

Order some Flatbed cigars from Paul, and get the personalized bands. Great cigars, and a nice personal touch!
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Cfickter

QuoteBrlesq - 8/22/2018  4:04 PM  
Quotec9belayer - 8/22/2018  4:01 PM  Thanks, everyone! Great input about the dual-cigar offerings - that's what way I'll go. I also like the AF Short Story idea, because I like those myself, so if I have leftovers... why, good for me! Thanks again for all your help (ain't this site just the best?!).  P.S. I'l also look at Flatbed's personal bands... I guess the Panacea blend is the way to go.
Flatbed usually has a discount code for 20-25% . . . I don' know the current one but I'm sure somebody here has it.  Congrats to the happy couple!

USA20 or HC25

BewareDaPenguin

My buddies wife"s dad brought 2 boxes of Feral"s to the wedding, I happen to be about 1 of 5 guys who smoked cigars, and nobody else went in for seconds so needless to say I smoked 3 n 1/2 of my buddies he was 2 drunk to finish his. I guess that would be my vote lol :thumbsup:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Cfickter

Quotenirab - 8/23/2018  4:35 PM  Order some Flatbed cigars from Paul, and get the personalized bands. Great cigars, and a nice personal touch!

Love Paul and his cigars but if I recall his personalized bands are plain white with black text, no other options.  It has been a while since I have seen them so maybe he stepped up his game.

But as an option here is what I did for my daughter's wedding www.labelsonthefly.com/Cigar-Bands-Labels.html  
One caveat - these are basically stickers, so the whole band has a light tack, not just the one end.  While they say it will not harm the wrapper what I did was put the band on the outside of the cello.  Yes, I left the cellos on because they will get handled, a lot.  I did not put them on the Cubans

Another option if you are artsy is print your own
https://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL383SW.htm?qty=10&src=mp-42&utm_source=GoogleProductSearch&utm_medium=ProductSearch&utm_term=OL383SW&utm_content=10Sheets&utm_campaign=ProductSearch&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqovLydGF3QIVTFqGCh2l-gtxEAQYASABEgJD6PD_BwE 

Also check Etsy, there are custom bands available there, a little more pricey but quality  

c9belayer

OMG Such great advice! I'll look at custom labels (the Flatbed custom labels have a limit on the number of characters and "Shannon & Michael" is too long). I really like the blank label sheet because I'm a die-hard DIY-er and I can make it really personal. That'd be awesome - I never knew these existed! I think I'll get a box that newbies recognize, a 5-pack of something special for those in the know, and probably a REALLY nice cigar for the groom. My traveldor will hold the cigars I plan on smoking during the trip, of course. Thanks again for the inputs (and thanks for the congratulations) - you guys are GREAT!
-- c9belayer

c9belayer

*UPDATE*
My son said there were no smokers coming to the small wedding (that he knows of) but cigars for his groomsmen would be nice, so I picked up a 10-count box of Drew Estate Liga Privada T52 Tubo and a 5-fiver of AVO XO Notturno Tubos on Famous' Auction site and will be bringing those along, in addition to my 10-count traveldor of course! Thanks again for all the advice!
-- c9belayer

Mautrak

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.