Another Question On Cello

Started by Chefjohn, 08/24/2018 01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I read a couple of articles that talked about storing your sticks in the cello. I do store mine in the cello as I feel it will protect the wrappers some but one of the articles suggested that you snip and/or open the foot end of the cello which will allow the cigar to breathe a bit better while still protecting the wrapper. Do any of you guys do that?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Silverstix

used to cut the foot of the cello off, now I just don't bother. The belief was that by doing so it would help the cigars to acclimate to your preferred RH faster, which is probably true but I have enough cigars now that I don't need to accelerate the process

05Venturer

Oh $hit not this again  :hitme:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Chefjohn

QuoteSilverstix - 8/24/2018  2:56 PM

used to cut the foot of the cello off, now I just don't bother. The belief was that by doing so it would help the cigars to acclimate to your preferred RH faster, which is probably true but I have enough cigars now that I don't need to accelerate the process

Thanks Tom. I really don't think it's necessary either. I've gotten into the practice of letting any sticks I get rest at least 30 days before smoking. Maybe a bit obsessive but i've Never met a chef that isn't.

Kman

I prefer my cellos in a string quartet. I really think this gives the best atmosphere to truly enjoy them. They seem to get lost in a full orchestra to me. I would advise going with the string quartet.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Chefjohn

QuoteKman - 8/24/2018  3:11 PM

I prefer my cellos in a string quartet. I really think this gives the best atmosphere to truly enjoy them. They seem to get lost in a full orchestra to me. I would advise going with the string quartet.

Well I do like to fiddle around  :-)

Cfickter

I like watermelon Cell-o

a 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

I keep them wrapped exactly the way I receive them, especially the special ones!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Chefjohn

The more I read and try to learn the more I'm realizing how there are so many "experts" that try to complicate something thats not that complicated. A lot of similarities to the culinary arts.

c9belayer

It's totally subjective!
When I started out, all my cigars went into their humidors naked. Last June, I decided to keep the cellos on, uncut. I had heard an opinion that naked cigars will "share" their flavors among themselves within a humidor, rendering a sort of sameness to each smoke therein. Now nearly all my cigars are cello'd, and while it takes longer for them to rest after shipment, I do find the flavors to be slightly more distinct. But only just. Cello'd cigars are more protected which is a bonus to a klutz like me, though they do take up slightly more space in the humidor.
Play with it! See what works for YOU. It's all good!
-- c9belayer

DonM

I agree with Bruce, store them like you get them.  Let them rest @ the correct RH and they will smoke fine every time

"The Curmudgeon"

Cfickter

You have to admit certain cigars need no rest - Acids, Pearls, Bobalu and you know the others nothing can help them
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

toby2

QuoteChefjohn - 8/24/2018  4:01 PM  The more I read and try to learn the more I’m realizing how there are so many “experts” that try to complicate something thats not that complicated. A lot of similarities to the culinary arts.

yup and those guys may smoke a few sticks a year......  :biggrin:

Chefjohn

Quotetoby2 - 8/24/2018  8:09 PM

QuoteChefjohn - 8/24/2018  4:01 PM  The more I read and try to learn the more I'm realizing how there are so many "experts" that try to complicate something thats not that complicated. A lot of similarities to the culinary arts.

yup and those guys may smoke a few sticks a year......  :biggrin:

You're probably right Toby.

DRuff

toby2

QuoteDRuff - 8/25/2018  9:55 AM  

:dancing:

Cigary

The Old Cello Debate......I've read enough about this that it can be bathroom literature for the next 5 years.  Condense this subject down to its basic elements and it's really about protection of the wrapper.  I typically clip both ends to allow as much RH to get into the cigar as I tend to rest a lot of cigars.  Cigar Aficionados tend to talk about keeping their cigars "naked" because the essence of the tobacco will be further enhanced whereas cello acts as an inhibitor to the advancement of resting/aging.  How much is conjecture....hard to prove with any type of certainty as to how much a cigar is inhibited but some will tell you that there is a difference.  I tend to let experience tell me and in all my years of smoking ( 50 years ) there isn't any appreciable difference in quality that would make me a zealot for quality purposes.  I still cut off both ends because it is a habit and I like that cello provides a certain protection....other than that it becomes a matter of choice.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.