Question on Glass/glass top vs full wood humidors

Started by CarlosoftHUN, 08/30/2018 01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosoftHUN

So far I have two small full wood humidor, and thinking about to buy a 3rd one. Although there is a lot of options in terms of shape etc, I am a bit concerned to buy a glass top humidor, or do not even think about to buy a smaller cabinet.

My thoughts/concerns re glassy humidors are: :confused:
- Isn't harder to maintain the proper temperature for those? I understand that we are not putting those to direct sunlight of course, but still light is coming and going and it might have impact on temperature. What is your experience with it guys?
- Other thing is I am concerned is the cigars, ws light. I do not know what will be the effect if your cigars are affected by light. Again nit the direct sunlight, but when you have stocked up two lines of cigar, the ones up gets more light while the others down does not, so will they age differently? Will they damage due the light in long term?

I am really looking for any feedback from the more experienced, glass cabinet, etc users as really want to buy a bit larger one ( than storing in 20-30 capacity humidors all my stuff)...

Thnx guys in advance!  :bow:
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

DonM

I had a 500 ct humidor with glass in to and on the side. My tower has glass in the door.  As long as the glass is sealed along with a good seal in the lid/door I have seen no adverse effects on the cigars.  As long as you do not put the humidor in direct light like the sun shining through the window you should have no problems either.  I smoked one the other day that was originally in my 500 ct for 5+ years and it was wonderful

I hope this answers some of your questions

"The Curmudgeon"

CarlosoftHUN

Yes DonM, thank you for the quick reply....

I was looking for not only feedbacks but your and others' experience on the subject...

If I keep traveling around the world - where I buy cigars as I am looking for a good buy everywhere - I will need additional space for sure. But most of the bigger ones have glass, at least in the front door... and due I am the only cigar smoker near and far ( do not know any other aficionados, except the guys here), I lack experience.

But now I am more open towards glassy humidors..

thnx again mate
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Beegerply

I've used a couple of glass 100 count with no problems for well over 10 years.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Chefjohn

I'm no expert by any means but am learning a lot from the good folks here. I would think that the glass top humidors are like the all wood ones, there are some that are very good and some that aren't. I recently got a Treasure Dome 200 count humidor and it seems to be pretty good. I put Boveda 69% packs in it and it's holding a steady 65% which is right where I wanted it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

ninfiction

I also have 100count glass top and my tower has a glass door. I keep my humidors in my basement though so no direct sunlight and very little sunlight at all.

Another option is a cooler if you don't need something that looks nice. No light would get in there and they hold humidity better than any humidor will.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Kid Montana

Cheaper glass top humidors tend to leak a lot around the glass.  Actually pretty much anything that isn't a custom will have this to an extent.  Enterprising members have used a variety of low-vapor / low off-gas sealants or stripping to tighten up the seal.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Murphy223

I have a 100 ct Glass-Top and still use the cheap foam humidifier that came with it along with a digital hygrometer.  In the process of seasoning a new wood only one that I have with some Bovedas but Have had absolutely no issues whatsoever  with the glass top and actually like that I can just peek in and see the RH & Temp rather than opening.   Plus to me, it's cool to see the sticks which I like to look at

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.