Questions on caps and cutting.

Started by Adwinistrator, 09/11/2018 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adwinistrator

For some reason, I've been having bad luck cutting cigars recently, and had a lot of caps crack and unravel on me.  Maybe 25% of my smokes have given me issues, from slight to falling apart.

I picked up a Xikar Xi2, as the old DE guillotine backplate cutter I had was feeling dull.  Still struggling to get the technique exactly right, but still having a few caps come apart on me.

Most of the nicer cigars with triple caps don't give me any issues, but a lot of the mid range cigars with double caps are the culprits.

I'm trying to cut above the shoulder every time.

I've seen some tips, like wetting the cap before cutting.  

Does anyone have any other tips?

Should I get a different cutter or punch?

Should I get some of that glue to use when this happens?

Does anyone else feel my pain?

toby2

i've noticed if a cigar is a bit dry it will crack when you cut it or have the other issues you stated.

CarlosoftHUN

I have - occasionally - similar but not so strange issues with cutting, and my causes are typically:
- a bit dry-er cigar than it is needed
- cutter is not sharp enough
- cutting it too slow ( I use double blade ones)

Recently I have made easily a puncher from a used 9mm shell, so that can be an alternative.

Also I am experimenting with re-sharpening the cutter with a smaller sharpening rod - in progress now..
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Kid Montana

I usually put a cigar in my mouth for a few moments, to add some moisture to the cap and add some suppleness to the cap material.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Adwinistrator

Quotetoby2 - 9/11/2018  9:35 AM

i've noticed if a cigar is a bit dry it will crack when you cut it or have the other issues you stated.

I'm thinking this might be part of the problem.

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/11/2018  9:56 AM

I have - occasionally - similar but not so strange issues with cutting, and my causes are typically:
- a bit dry-er cigar than it is needed
- cutter is not sharp enough
- cutting it too slow ( I use double blade ones)

Recently I have made easily a puncher from a used 9mm shell, so that can be an alternative.

Also I am experimenting with re-sharpening the cutter with a smaller sharpening rod - in progress now..

I was worried I was cutting too fast, and was trying to slow myself down...  Maybe I've got it backwards...

I've never even tried a cigar that's been punched, so maybe I should.  If I like it, 2 birds 1 stone.

QuoteKid Montana - 9/11/2018  10:17 AM

I usually put a cigar in my mouth for a few moments, to add some moisture to the cap and add some suppleness to the cap material.

I saw that tip after the last cigar already had issues, so I'll try that out next time.

ntanner

Cracking and such I would attribute to the cigar being slightly dry as mentioned before.

The cut only needs to remove the very top piece of the cap so unless you are cutting a torpedo you shouldn't need to cut very low on the cap. I usually try and cut about 1/3 to 1/2 of the round over off, no more. At that point you are only cutting cap and not getting into the binder or filler enough to make the cigar crack.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Chefjohn

Following a recommendation from some of the great guys here I use the Perfect Cutter by Cuban Crafters and so far it's performed excellent.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cfickter

Well with the Xi2 I would not feel it is the cutter. and having caps unravel is not that uncommon.  

One question I would have is how many of the ones giving you issues are Connecticut wrappers? Conn wrapper, especially shades, are notorious for being thin and brittle.

Second question is the construction could be related to the quality of the cigar you are smoking.  lesser brands could lead to lower quality, poorly constructed caps.  Not judging, smoke what you like

Third question, is it just the cap or does the filler/binder also crumble when cut?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

QuoteKid Montana - 9/11/2018  9:17 AM

^^^^^ This  :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Murphy223

QuoteChefjohn - 9/11/2018  10:51 AM  Following a recommendation from some of the great guys here I use the Perfect Cutter by Cuban Crafters and so far it’s performed excellent.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ .       I went this route and LOVE it.  

Adwinistrator

QuoteMurphy223 - 9/11/2018  12:43 PM

QuoteChefjohn - 9/11/2018  10:51 AM  Following a recommendation from some of the great guys here I use the Perfect Cutter by Cuban Crafters and so far it's performed excellent.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ .       I went this route and LOVE it.  

Oh man, are you guys going to convince me to spend more money?  :biggrin:

Adwinistrator

Quote05Venturer - 9/11/2018  12:12 PM

QuoteKid Montana - 9/11/2018  9:17 AM

^^^^^ This  :thumbsup:

I will make sure to do this going forward.  Thanks for the tip!

Adwinistrator

QuoteCfickter - 9/11/2018  11:26 AM

Well with the Xi2 I would not feel it is the cutter. and having caps unravel is not that uncommon.  

One question I would have is how many of the ones giving you issues are Connecticut wrappers? Conn wrapper, especially shades, are notorious for being thin and brittle.

Second question is the construction could be related to the quality of the cigar you are smoking.  lesser brands could lead to lower quality, poorly constructed caps.  Not judging, smoke what you like

Third question, is it just the cap or does the filler/binder also crumble when cut?

I'm mostly smoking darker cigars at the moment, Colorado to Maduro.

Last 2 cigars that I had major issues with were an Oliva Serie G Torpedo, and an Alec Bradley Prensado Gran Toro.

It's just the cap that ends up falling apart.  I end up finishing the cigar, usually with some of the cap remaining, with the binder intact underneath.

junglepete

Try leaving the cello on  and cutting it. Don't laugh until you've tried it. That has worked for me in the past. I don't do that anymore unless I am cutting a cigar in half. A quick full strength cut, no hesitation should do the trick. I almost always wet the cap before cutting.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

chief791

I have a nice Xikar Punch that I use on dryer cigars. I works great. Maybe give a punch a try.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

DonM

Slightly moistening the cap does help. If you are cutting too deep and into the binder instead of just cutting the cap you can crush the binder causing issues.

"The Curmudgeon"

CarlosoftHUN

good hints around :-D thnx for sharing those :-D
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

tvolball

I punch just about every one I smoke now. I very rarely have one split anymore.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Adwinistrator

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/12/2018  12:54 AM

Agreed.

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I'm 2/2 after wetting the cigars before cutting, will look into that Cuban Perfect cutter, and also try out v-cuts and punches.

Chefjohn

QuoteAdwinistrator - 9/12/2018  9:02 AM

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/12/2018  12:54 AM

Agreed.

Thanks everyone for the tips.  I'm 2/2 after wetting the cigars before cutting, will look into that Cuban Perfect cutter, and also try out v-cuts and punches.

I haven't heard of wetting before cutting. I'll have to give it a try and see if it makes a difference. I also curious about using a punch. I haven't gotten one yet but am curious about it's advantages and disadvantages.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.