Subjective questions from seniors on certain cigars

Started by CarlosoftHUN, 09/18/2018 04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosoftHUN

I was convinced my Vet, and he is now started his cigar journey, so on my next travel, I have planned to buy some cigars, and split with him.

Of course I am trying to compromise between the price / value / amount to get the most out of our money, however my friend is looking for more the value of the cigar than the amount of sticks he can buy...
He is novice, so he is about to try more type, and I am also open to buy unknown ones, both of us generally mild to medium, but can smoke some of the medium-full ones ( except the full-full strength ones...

There are some I was thinking of, but asking your opinion which one worth...... most of them we both never tasted only the vegafina minutos ( I have tried that and liked the mild taste):

SANTA CLARA 1830 QVINO (10x)       11$  
MACARENA SHORT ROBUSTO BUNDLE (10x) 16$    
TE AMO 5 ROBUSTO MIX (5x + CUTTER) 20$  or
TE AMO ROBUSTO CUBA HUMIDOR FRESH PACK (5x) 20$

DON TOMAS BUNDLE ROBUSTO 10x 20$
VEGA FINA PERLAS (10x) 32$
or
VEGA FINA MINUTOS (16) 35$

maybe - from the more expensive end I was thinking about:
SCHIZO ROBUSTO 50 X 5 NICARAGUA  20x for 42$
TE AMO GRAN CORTO CUBA BLEND (15) or mexico blend for  59$

The point is we can spend about 100$ alltogether......but that is the max

you can consider this as a kind of vote.... which ones you would spend most ( again, somehow need to compromise between price, value and no of cigars)??

thnx for the feedbacks
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

05Venturer

I would personally stay away from the Te AMO, I have had poor luck with most.
Schizo from Asylum would be a good choice.
Romeo Julietta Reserva Real are a very nice medium smoke at a good value.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Agree with Kent on the R&J Reserva Real, good smoke at a very good price
But not knowing where you are traveling to and what is available makes it hard to give any recommendations
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

CarlosoftHUN

I will be travelling to Romania.
This is the site - and they have stores - where I was looking around:    http://jpb.ro/en/cigars
Unfortunately they do not have R&J reserva in their offers :-S

100RON = 25$approx
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Murphy223

Haven't had any of the above but I have smoked the Romeo Julietta Reserva and agree - it's a good stick!

CarlosoftHUN

Quote05Venturer - 9/18/2018  1:25 PM

Kent, thnx for the feedback...
re Te-Amo, can you please elaborate what do you mean by poor luck?
it is about its taste, construction, or both??

thnx
Cigars - What else?

Chefjohn

I don't have the experience some of the other guys do and I would definitely put a lot of stock in their opinions/recommendations. For me as a newbie I enjoyed the Macanudo Cafe Hyde Park and the Montecristo White Seires. They have a mild to medium flavor profile.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

I looked at the site. They have lots to offer. Don Tomas and TeAmo would not be my first choice. Te Amo are generally sweetened tips or infused? Either one I dont care for.

Can you receive cigars by mail in Hungary?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

ninfiction

I enjoy the Schizo myself. I smoked a couple Te Amo and thought they were just alright. I also had a couple Don Thomas that my wife brought back from the Dominican, not terrible.

The Schizo would be my first choice out of what you listed, the site is blocked at my work so I can't see what else they have.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

CarlosoftHUN

Quotejunglepete - 9/18/2018  4:41 PM

I looked at the site. They have lots to offer. Don Tomas and TeAmo would not be my first choice. Te Amo are generally sweetened tips or infused? Either one I dont care for.

No pete.. because according the humgarian law i can buy only in the government shops.. therfore if buying outside in webshop or getting via mail the customs take it away and i get a fee to be payed as broken the law.... that is life
Cigars - What else?

junglepete

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/18/2018  1:17 PM

No pete.. because according the humgarian law i can buy only in the government shops.. therfore if buying outside in webshop or getting via mail the customs take it away and i get a fee to be payed as broken the law.... that is life

Sounds like Canada, except they don't take them away, they just charge you taxes, lots of them, three times the cost of the cigars, too bad.How many cigars can a citizen bring in through customs? or a tourist? It sounds like you are looking for more reasonable costs for your cigars, which is hard find in Europe. Maybe try some of the bundles, Maria Mancini, Casa de Garcia. The Toscanos are always a nice change, the Originale. Some of the Ashtons and Dunhills are always good, but expensive. Maybe the Macarena to try something new?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

05Venturer

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/18/2018  8:10 AM

Quote05Venturer - 9/18/2018  1:25 PM

Kent, thnx for the feedback...
re Te-Amo, can you please elaborate what do you mean by poor luck?
it is about its taste, construction, or both??

thnx

Both construction and they just weren't in my wheelhouse for flavors, I never had a flavored Te Amo as was brought up by another.
I did take a look at the site you posted and see they have Macanudo Inspirado, all 3 (Black, Orange & Red) are all very good smokes.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

CarlosoftHUN

Quotejunglepete - 9/18/2018  8:56 PM

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 9/18/2018  1:17 PM

Sounds like Canada, except they don't take them away, they just charge you taxes, lots of them, three times the cost of the cigars, too bad.How many cigars can a citizen bring in through customs? or a tourist? It sounds like you are looking for more reasonable costs for your cigars, which is hard find in Europe. Maybe try some of the bundles, Maria Mancini, Casa de Garcia. The Toscanos are always a nice change, the Originale. Some of the Ashtons and Dunhills are always good, but expensive. Maybe the Macarena to try something new?

Thnx Pete... when travelling by plane, I can bring the usual 50piece of cigars max without tax or any issues by customs.... and I use that limit all the time... that is why I bought a lot of things in Dubai two weeks ago, because either we cant buy it in Hungary, or cant buy online as customs take it away and get a fat fine...
I was thinking on some bundles for sure:
- thinking vega finas, as perlas or minutos are good quick 30min smoke, and I liked the minutos mildness
-Maria Mancini they have an expensive version so that is out of scope now
- Toscano they have mostly these paper box ones, but did not read too good about them.....
- Macarena they dont have too

- Casa de Garcia they have in a good price, good bundles, but which ones you are recommending? I like more the robusto size, corona, churchill is too much for me, waste of tobacco.. :-D Also I have tried one CDG a year ago or so, but the taste was really bad... or that was a different casa de garcia?
Cigars - What else?

junglepete

Stay away from the Casa Garcia, if you didnt like them last year, then you probably won't like them this year either  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

CarlosoftHUN

Quotejunglepete - 9/19/2018  2:48 PM

Stay away from the Casa Garcia, if you didnt like them last year, then you probably won't like them this year either  :biggrin:

lol  :biggrin:
that is a very good conclusion... thnx for sharing :-D
Cigars - What else?

CarlosoftHUN

Thnx for all the help guys..... based on the comments and considerations I have got:
- Vega Fina Perla 10x
- Vega Fina Minutos 16x
- Asylum Schizo Robusto 20x
- Macarena Short Robusto 10x
- Santa Clara qvino 10x ( I regret this one only)

Thnx for the help guys!
Cigars - What else?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.