A Sad And Lonely End

Started by benchjockey, 09/18/2018 06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchjockey

Two guys carried the man out on a stretcher last night.  Someone had thoughtfully draped an American flag over his body because it was thought that the man was a Vietnam vet. He had been dead for weeks, lying undiscovered until a neighbor realized he hadn't seen the man for about a month.
I don't get around very well these days, but if I had known he was friendless I would have made an effort to meet with him, have a chat. Talk about sports, or life, or anything. I would have offered him a cigar. Nobody should die so friendless that his body lies decomposing, rotting, until being discovered.

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Brlesq

Sorry to hear about that, Barry.  Makes one reflect a bit.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Chefjohn

That is heartbreaking to hear. It truly does cause one to reflect and think about the people in our community.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

tvolball

Being a firefighter, we run calls like this and have to help the coroner load the body. It's not just limited to lonely people with no family or friends. I have run calls where the neighbor hadn't seen the person in a few days or weeks and calls the sheriff office for a welfare check and they find them like that. The really sad part of it is that this person had family that lived in the same county. I'm not talking a day or two with no contact from the son or daughter, but some of these people have been dead so long they are almost unrecognizable.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

ninfiction

I always joke with my wife that I want to go out like that, all alone out in a cabin in the woods. Sometimes people make that choice, sometimes they are forgotten.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

nirab

kindness, compassion, joy, inclusiveness...the elements of true love...mindfulness helps with practice of these actions...your story brought about sadness, but your compassion brings joy...thank you... :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.