Humidification Beads

Started by Chefjohn, 09/23/2018 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

I'm considering a Whynter Cooler Humidor and am looking at humidification beads for a humidifier. I've read on the forum here about Heartfelt beads but have just heard about HCM beads. Is anyone here familiar with them and which is better?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

gitfiddl

Wow!  I haven't thought about beads in years.  I used the Heartfelt beads (in their brand tubes and rectangle holders) in a couple of 100ct humidors for a while and they worked well.  I wound up giving the humidors to my son five or so years ago, so I don't know how they held up long-term.  That was about the time I switched over to silica cat litter for most of my other humidors.  I wound up switching to Boveda packs in my samaller desktops, but have the Black Ice pie jars in my larger humidors these days.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Chefjohn

Quotegitfiddl - 9/23/2018  12:41 PM

Wow!  I haven't thought about beads in years.  I used the Heartfelt beads (in their brand tubes and rectangle holders) in a couple of 100ct humidors for a while and they worked well.  I wound up giving the humidors to my son five or so years ago, so I don't know how they held up long-term.  That was about the time I switched over to silica cat litter for most of my other humidors.  I wound up switching to Boveda packs in my samaller desktops, but have the Black Ice pie jars in my larger humidors these days.

I'm not familiar with the Black Ice.

gitfiddl

QuoteChefjohn - 9/23/2018  1:03 PM

Quotegitfiddl - 9/23/2018  12:41 PM

Wow!  I haven't thought about beads in years.  I used the Heartfelt beads (in their brand tubes and rectangle holders) in a couple of 100ct humidors for a while and they worked well.  I wound up giving the humidors to my son five or so years ago, so I don't know how they held up long-term.  That was about the time I switched over to silica cat litter for most of my other humidors.  I wound up switching to Boveda packs in my smaller desktops, but have the Black Ice pie jars in my larger humidors these days.

I'm not familiar with the Black Ice.

These guys here:  https://www.cigarsinternational.com/shop/?q=black+ice+pie+jar

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ntanner

I still have some of the jell jars in my larger humidor but the lids are on them, I just use Boveda's in everything now day's, easier and more stable IMO.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Chefjohn

Quotentanner - 9/23/2018  1:26 PM

I still have some of the jell jars in my larger humidor but the lids are on them, I just use Boveda's in everything now day's, easier and more stable IMO.

I probably should just stick with the Boveda. They have done real well for me. I'm thinking in a the 400 count Whynter I would go with 2 320 gram packs on the bottom an d 2 more on top.

toby2

i use the stuff for gardening. it re-hydrates with a little hot water from the coffee maker then i top it up with distilled.

shakinghorizons

HCM beads are all I run. Almost maintenance free for the past 10 years

appollo

I still use heartfelt beads in a couple humi.Require a little more maintance,but work well

toby2

Quoteshakinghorizons - 9/23/2018  3:15 PM  HCM beads are all I run. Almost maintenance free for the past 10 years

i'm on about three years i guess. i used to throw them out and add new but i figured out the hot water bit so they just keep going. of course i'm in the south and the humidity in my lower level is never really all that low. maybe in February for a few days. 

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 9/23/2018  3:15 PM

HCM beads are all I run. Almost maintenance free for the past 10 years

I see with the Heartfelt that they need to be sprayed every so often. Is that the case with the HCM Colin?

shakinghorizons

HCM beads are recharged passively. If you spritz water on them they'll go up in smoke, lol.

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 9/23/2018  4:58 PM

HCM beads are recharged passively. If you spritz water on them they'll go up in smoke, lol.

Seriously? How do you recharge them, kind of the same way you recharge Boveda packs?

shakinghorizons

QuoteChefjohn - 9/23/2018  3:04 PM

Seriously? How do you recharge them, kind of the same way you recharge Boveda packs?

Exactly

Chefjohn

Quoteshakinghorizons - 9/23/2018  6:53 PM

QuoteChefjohn - 9/23/2018  3:04 PM

Exactly

I saw a video of them being sprayed. Wow!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.