Hello from The Netherlands.

Started by Deadl0ck, 10/31/2018 06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadl0ck

Hey everyone! Hope you're well!

The name's Mark, 40 years of age, and hail from the low lands of Europe, The Netherlands.  My origin is a pipe smoker, which I've gladly done with pleasure for the last seven or so years. Never really touched cigarettes or rolling tobacco, aside from a month or so when I was maybe 17. Had a stint with a hookah, but the whole thing was frankly more trouble than it was worth.

About a month or two ago, my local tobacconist had a cigar roller from Cuba over, and as a gamble, I picked up a fresh rolled cigar, and bought two other ones in the same go. I was very pleasantly surprised at how smooth and flavourful they were compared to the sharp dryness of the budget or semi-local shortfillers I'd smoked up until that point, for when I didn't have the peace of mind to fill and calmly smoke a pipe.

Longer story short, now I have a small table humidor filled with some 16 odd cigars. The humidor holds at the very most 20 if I want to allow for some semblance of air circulation, so I'm pretty set for now.  

Coming from pipe smoking, I wanted to know a bit more about my cigars rather than "Oh, the band (or tube) looks nice, and it's affordable, lets buy it." which is how I currently filled the humidor. After searching for some form of collection site of cigar info, and randomly hammering the name of some of my cigars into google, I stumbled upon this fancy place, and decided to get an account to access the database, and hopefully learn from the collection of experience here.

Because really, I'm VERY new to the world of (quality) cigars, and frankly I feel a bit out of my depth whenever I walk into the walk in humidor at the local shop. I mostly know how to cut and light one, knowledge I gained through osmosis from hanging out in the smoking lounge of my local shop and talking to cigar smokers before I really started, but that's about it. I couldn't tell you where half of my cigars come from, what size they are, what leaf they're made of, what sets them apart from similar origin cigars, and probably a ton of other characteristics I never even considered.

Anyway, as you may be able to guess, I can be fairly long winded, so I'm going to end this here, and hunt down the cigars I have (and smoked in the past 2 months) and experiment a bit with the site. Cheers for your time in reading!

klamm143

Welcome from North Carolina.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

benchjockey

Welcome aboard from Florida, Mark.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Chefjohn

Welcome from bourbon country.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Mautrak

ninfiction

This is not the admin you're looking for...

appollo

Welcome from the GWN.Great site here .Enjoy

tuck0411

Welcome from Washington State.   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

Koop

Welcome - you'll find plenty of helpful posts and knowledgeable Cigar Geeks here.

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

CarlosoftHUN

Welcome from Hungary! I love the Dutch cigars, like De Olifant, and the others :-D
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Beegerply

Welcome from Moline Illinois, home of John Deere. Enjoy the site and enjoy your journey into cigar smoking. Lots of great people on this site with lots and lots of knowledge.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

05Venturer

Welcome from NW Wisconsin Mark
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Murphy223

amigodecigars

Welcome from the tropics.  I sent you a PM...private message
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

junglepete

Welcome to the site Mark...enjoy!  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Deadl0ck

Cheers all for the warm welcome, it's much appreciated!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.