Please excuse my ignorance

Started by Jimmys1166, 11/19/2018 01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmys1166

WTH is a bomb?

Just so i understand bc I see these bomb badges under names and even a BOMB thread..

nirab

I sent you a pm...and I noticed that your profile features your address... :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Murphy223

QuoteJimmys1166 - 11/19/2018  2:17 PM  WTH is a bomb?  Just so i understand bc I see these bomb badges under names and even a BOMB thread..  

A Cigar Bomb is when you open your mailbox one day and to your Surprise, you receive a "Gift" of Cigars from the great group of folks on this forum

headfirst

Quotenirab - 11/19/2018  2:25 PM

I sent you a pm...and I noticed that your profile features your address... :biggrin:

I hope your mailbox is blast-proof Jimmy!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Jimmys1166

Quoteheadfirst - 11/19/2018  4:02 PM

Quotenirab - 11/19/2018  2:25 PM

I hope your mailbox is blast-proof Jimmy!

Should I be worried :-0.

Another Noob question:

Im using the boveda bag for now with two 69% pouches inside, how long will something like this hold me over till i can breakdown and get a humidor?

appollo

Buy air tight plastic container Jimmy more room and more protection.

klamm143

Insurance....................................
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

headfirst

Most likely a month or two easy.  And Boveda can be recharged...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

nirab

I find your ignorance to be amusing...a lesson must be learned!!  :biggrin:  :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Jimmys1166

Quoteheadfirst - 11/19/2018  7:28 PM

Most likely a month or two easy.  And Boveda can be recharged...

Thanks for the info.

Jimmys1166

Quotenirab - 11/20/2018  2:40 PM

I find your ignorance to be amusing...a lesson must be learned!!  :biggrin:  :shy:

Not gonna lie....this makes me nervous....lol

Jimmys1166

Quoteappollo - 11/19/2018  6:06 PM

So would i need some Spanish Cedar to line it or just throw some stogies in a couple of humi bags and im good to go till i can procure a humi that will hold around 100 sticks?

ninfiction

QuoteJimmys1166 - 11/20/2018  5:33 PM

So would i need some Spanish Cedar to line it or just throw some stogies in a couple of humi bags and im good to go till i can procure a humi that will hold around 100 sticks?

I wouldn't even worry about a real humidor. Any airtight tupperware type container will hold humidity much better. You don't need spanish cedar in it unless you want.

Sterilite makes several sizes that have a gasket built into the lid. If you get one that is big enough you could stick a box or 2 in there in place of spanish cedar. Many boxes of cigars come with a sheet of spanish cedar, you could ask your local B&M if they have any you could use. You could also buy a tray if you have a large enough container for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-Adjustable-Importers/dp/B00B9234HE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542758431&sr=8-3&keywords=spanish+cedar+tray

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-gasket-box-clear-with-blue-latches-12qt/-/A-53159784  They make several sizes.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

benchjockey

I use a number of shoebox size Sterilite plastic containers that I bought at Walmart for $2. I put Spanish cedar on the bottom, add a 60 gram Boveda pack and a hygrometer. Works fine.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Jimmys1166

Quoteninfiction - 11/20/2018  6:04 PM

QuoteJimmys1166 - 11/20/2018  5:33 PM

I wouldn't even worry about a real humidor. Any airtight tupperware type container will hold humidity much better. You don't need spanish cedar in it unless you want.

Sterilite makes several sizes that have a gasket built into the lid. If you get one that is big enough you could stick a box or 2 in there in place of spanish cedar. Many boxes of cigars come with a sheet of spanish cedar, you could ask your local B&M if they have any you could use. You could also buy a tray if you have a large enough container for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-Adjustable-Importers/dp/B00B9234HE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542758431&sr=8-3&keywords=spanish+cedar+tray

https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-gasket-box-clear-with-blue-latches-12qt/-/A-53159784  They make several sizes.

So basically a wooden humidor is for looks and for better aging??? Is temp. an issue as its always in the 60's inside my house and i notice like today the humi packs i have in the bag had small sections that almost felt like ice crushing on one side, but only in very small sections. Once i put some heat on everything went back to normal and the bags fell like they did new.

This seems pretty straight forward and at a much lower price...lol

I really appreciate all the advice! :smoker:

ninfiction

The humi packs, if they are Boveda will feel like that when they dry out. Sounds like it was temp though. I keep my cigars in my basement and I'm in Minnesota so it's cold and dry. The colder temps do lower the RH. I use the 69% Boveda during the winter with the idea that they will hold close to 65% because it's dry and cold.

ninfiction

Oh and you can "age" cigars in anything. There are lots of theories on aging(like lower RH) but ultimately it just means the cigar is typically multiple years old.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.