Goodbye Flavored Cigars? Good Ol' FDA

Started by Vroomp, 11/20/2018 06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vroomp

FDA  Unveils New Steps to Protect Youth by Preventing Access to Flavored  Tobacco Products, Announces Plans to Ban Menthol in Cigarettes and  Cigars

When Commissioner Gottlieb announced FDA’s Comprehensive Plan for Tobacco and Nicotine Regulation  in 2017, the deadlines for certain deemed products were extended, in  part, to allow for the potential benefits of innovative new products to  be studied more thoroughly. This deadline was extended under the  condition that the youth e-cigarette use numbers would not change for  the worse. At the time, FDA was seeing change in the right direction as  high school current e-cigarette use had decreased from its peak of 16.0  percent in 2015 to 11.3 percent in 2016 and held steady in 2017.

Unfortunately, the situation has changed drastically in the last year. According to new findings from the 2018 National Youth Tobacco Survey  (NYTS) released today, there has been a dramatic increase in youth use  of e-cigarettes and other electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS):  From 2017 to 2018, there was a 78 percent increase in current  e-cigarette use among high school students and a 48 percent increase  among middle school students. This startling surge we’re seeing in youth  e-cigarette use is beyond troubling and FDA will not sit idly by while  we face the threat of a whole generation getting addicted to these  products.

Therefore, today FDA is outlining a new policy framework to address what appear to be the central problems – youth appeal and youth access to flavored tobacco products. FDA will be taking steps on the following product categories:

• Flavored  ENDS products (other than tobacco, mint, and menthol flavors or  non-flavored products) that are not sold in an age-restricted, in-person  location;
  • Flavored  ENDS products (other than tobacco, mint, and menthol flavors or  non-flavored products) that are sold online without heightened age  verification processes;
  • Flavored cigars;
  • ENDS products that are marketed to kids; and
  • Menthol in combustible tobacco products, including cigarettes and cigars.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cfickter

Thanks Brad
They are basing this potential set of new rules on a survey done at the secondary school level, voluntarily, self-administered, by putting a pencil mark on paper. I am always a bit leery of this type of survey methodology.  Kind of like counting ballots in Florida.
I believe this is a case where we do not need more regulation but much tougher enforcement.  Doing a brick and mortar blitz and just levying a fine will do little to stop.  Why not a "death penalty" (figuratively), get caught selling any tobacco products to minors, lose your license to all tobacco products.  One and done.  Hold both the company and person who sold the products liable.
Here in The People's Democratic Republic of Pennsylvania we are trying to emerge from our "head up our A#%" government run liquor control and you can now buy beer and wine in convenience stores.  They do more than ask to see your ID they actually scan it and tag it against that sale.  Why not that? Yes that doesn't stop people of legal age from buying and reselling to youth, it will stop underage buying, perhaps put a scare into a few people who would have been willing to resell, but mostly track people buying large quantities.
But here may be the main question.  We know the cigar industry is willing to put up a fight to protect the cigar industry but are they even more willing to sacrifice flavored cigars for leaving traditional hand-rolled cigars alone?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Jackal

How about just make it illegal to sell any tobacco product to minors?  Prosecute the lawbreakers rather than depriving everyone else of their freedoms.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.