Oliva 2nds?

Started by tuck0411, 12/13/2018 05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuck0411

Wondering if anyone has done the research to identify which of Oliva's blends these are.  I scored a pack of 15 Toros from C-bid for $26, which seems like a heck of a deal if they smoke well.  The exact "liga" wasn't identified on the bidding page, but they've just arrived and they are labelled as "Liga VM", which, after a bit of research at CI appears to be the Serie V Melanio Maduro.  Liga VM is the only "2nd" that has the San Andres wrapper and Serie V Melanio Maduro also appears to be the only Oliva blend that has that same wrapper.   Anyone know for sure?   Whatever this stick is, I will get one smoked this weekend and post a review.   :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

toby2

i used to smoke their "seconds". the consistency was terrible. it has been years though.

junglepete

I believe the Series V puts out a maduro version of one vitola per year. 2018 was the 6x60 and sports a san andreas wrapper....according to Serious Cigars anyways.

https://www.seriouscigars.com/oliva-cigars/oliva-serie-v-maduro-especial

I also believe the maduro version of the series v can still be found in the torpedo, double robusto, and churchill sizes. They call them the especiales, although I am not sure what wrapper is on them and the wrapper may change from year to year.

If the Seconds "VM" mean Melanio, then would that be the natural or maduro version of that blend? I suppose the ones you will get will be box pressed as I believe all the Melanios are such be it maduro or natural.

After a quick search of all the major suppliers, I don't see the Toro size vitola offered in the melanio blend at all.

I took a quick look on cbid and see a double toro maduro version marked VM but it is not box pressed and so I think it may be the 2018 edition of the series V Maduro 6x60

What size did you get and is it box pressed?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tuck0411

It's a 6 x 50 and does not appear to be box-pressed.  I'll post some pics tomorrow evening.
Todd

junglepete

Quotetuck0411 - 12/13/2018  7:39 PM

It's a 6 x 50 and does not appear to be box-pressed.

Then it is not a Melanio...and the regular line of the series v does not carry a toro size. However, in 2016 the maduro version of the series v was released.... https://halfwheel.com/oliva-serie-v-toro-2016/142626

Is it a maduro?
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

tuck0411

Quotejunglepete - 12/13/2018  5:46 PM

Quotetuck0411 - 12/13/2018  7:39 PM

It's a 6 x 50 and does not appear to be box-pressed.

Then it is not a Melanio...and the regular line of the series v does not carry a toro size. However, in 2016 the maduro version of the series v was released.... https://halfwheel.com/oliva-serie-v-toro-2016/142626

Is it a maduro?

Yes, I would say so.  It is very dark.  But the link above says the Maduro V has an Ecuadoran Habano wrapper whereas this one allegedly has a San Andres wrapper....

Edit to add:  Looking at the pics at the page above, the sticks I have are quite a bit darker than the ones pictured.  Almost an Oscuro.
Todd

junglepete

Could be anything at this point. The "VM" labeling for the Seconds is a fairly new one so I cant really tell you what it might be.
Guru of Frugality

tuck0411

I'm hoping someone with some familiarity with the Oliva line posts a review of these 2nds and clues us all in.  They seem to be going fairly cheaply at C-bid currently and will likely get even cheaper after the holidays.
Todd

junglepete

I posted a review earlier today for the Oliva Seconds LV Double Robusto...front page news  :biggrin:
Guru of Frugality

tuck0411

Quotejunglepete - 12/13/2018  7:00 PM

I posted a review earlier today for the Oliva Seconds LV Double Robusto...front page news  :biggrin:

Saw that.  Good review.   :thumbsup:
Todd

tuck0411

I wonder if the VM could be this one:
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=43693&t=Oliva/_Studio_Tabac_Serie_V_Maduro_Especial_2012_Toro

After a quick scan through the DB, this appears to be the only 6x50 Toro Oliva makes with a Mex wrapper, and I'm assuming the San Andres is the only Mex wrapper anyone uses, which might be an incorrect assumption.  But if this is it, the question becomes, why are they just releasing 2nds now of a cigar they made six years ago?
Todd

McBryde

I put some research into this about two years ago when I was getting a lot of them, and I cannot remember what they were. I'll look back through my stuff and see what I can't find about them. They were a really good smoke, and then the consistency went to crap on them. Let us know how they hold up through the pack, I may have to give another bundle a try.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

junglepete

Quotetuck0411 - 12/14/2018  4:21 AM

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=43693&t=Oliva/_Studio_Tabac_Serie_V_Maduro_Especial_2012_Toro

After a quick scan through the DB, this appears to be the only 6x50 Toro Oliva makes with a Mex wrapper, and I'm assuming the San Andres is the only Mex wrapper anyone uses, which might be an incorrect assumption.  But if this is it, the question becomes, why are they just releasing 2nds now of a cigar they made six years ago?

Another possibility is that the Seconds are from another blend that comes from the Oliva factory, a blend that does not carry the name "Oliva" but is made by Oliva??

BTW...you could get a box of the Serie V Especial Maduro Toros  here and then make a comparison  :biggrin:

https://www.cuencacigars.com/oliva-serie-v-maduro-especial-toro-cigars-maduro-box-of-10/
Guru of Frugality

tuck0411

Ha, well, if I could afford the real thing I wouldn't be buying 2nds....   :cry:  :smoker2:
Todd

McBryde

Quotejunglepete - 12/14/2018  9:11 AM

Quotetuck0411 - 12/14/2018  4:21 AM

Another possibility is that the Seconds are from another blend that comes from the Oliva factory, a blend that does not carry the name "Oliva" but is made by Oliva??

BTW...you could get a box of the Serie V Especial Maduro Toros  here and then make a comparison  :biggrin:

https://www.cuencacigars.com/oliva-serie-v-maduro-especial-toro-cigars-maduro-box-of-10/

This is what I had found from my research Pete. It was some other blend that was being made by them for another label. I can't remember which exact cigar it was but they make cigars with all of these names on them:
Oliva
Flor de Oliva
Master Blends 3
Nub
Cain
Cain Nub
Viejo Mundo
Nub Café
Savinelli Liga Especial
Savinelli Special Selection 2005

Expand your search!

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

Or:
Nica Libre "Potencia"

They also contracted with Padilla to make some stuff as well.

The list goes on and on!

E

junglepete

QuoteMcBryde - 12/15/2018  11:17 AM

Or:
Nica Libre "Potencia"

The list goes on and on!

E

Yes, I kind of thought it may have been another brand altogether. Thanks for the info.
Guru of Frugality

tuck0411

QuoteMcBryde - 12/15/2018  9:17 AM

Or:
Nica Libre "Potencia"

The list goes on and on!

E

It would be funny if these Liga VM 2nds were the Padilla Reserva San Andres I smoked and reviewed last night.  They both have the San Andres wrapper....  I think I'm going to have to smoke a Liga VM this evening and just see what it tastes like....  :cigarman:
Todd

McBryde

Quotetuck0411 - 12/15/2018  5:11 PM

QuoteMcBryde - 12/15/2018  9:17 AM

Or:
Nica Libre "Potencia"

The list goes on and on!

E

It would be funny if these Liga VM 2nds were the Padilla Reserva San Andres I smoked and reviewed last night.  They both have the San Andres wrapper....  I think I'm going to have to smoke a Liga VM this evening and just see what it tastes like....  :cigarman:

Let us know how similar they are.

E

tuck0411

Review of the Liga VM has been posted.  I can't say for sure it's the Padilla Reserva San Andres, but there were definite similarities in the taste profile.  As mentioned in the review I'll smoke another one in a month or so after they've had some rest at proper humidification and see if anything changes.
Todd

CoreyMacLeod

I've never had these.  I know, not much of a help.  I can say this though - the Man O' War Ruination 2nds are GREAT.  They don't come up often, but they are great!  I've never had an issue with one.  Great flavor, great draw.  Usually it's some sort of flaw in appearance that causes these to be 2nds.
No Signature Necessary.

tuck0411

Quotejunglepete - 12/14/2018  7:11 AM

Well, I just won a box of ten (5 x 54 Robusto) at C-bid tonight for $65.99.  Review and comparison to the Liga VM coming soon...    :smoker2:
Todd

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

arrow34

Interested to read the review...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.