Started by DRuff, 12/20/2018 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRuff

My thoughts:

I find the following info valuable and interesting:

• Wrapper texture, color, smell
  • Burn rate, whether it tunneled or canoed, that kind of thing
  • Smoke volume, draw
  • Flavors , but don't tell me it tasted like Madagascar chocolate, that is just BS
  • Construction, did it hold up or unravel?

What I don't find valuable or interesting:

• Who gave it to you and how long it was in their humidor
  • What you were watching on TV when you smoked it
  • Where you were when you were smoking it
  • The fact that you cut it and lit it, and how you cut it and lit it
  • What day of the week it was and the moon cycle

Details are important, fluff and filler, not so much.

05Venturer

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Kid Montana

Geeze, big dick, I thought Kent was the Guru of Cynicism.  

:shooter:  :puncher:  :fencing:  :lmao:

I'd rather have a cigar...

Cfickter

What about what I am wearing when I smoked it?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DRuff

QuoteKid Montana - 12/20/2018  5:17 PM  Geeze, big dick, I thought Kent was the Guru of Cynicism.     :shooter:  :puncher:  :fencing:  :lmao:

Wow, you can't keep a secret Dan

Brlesq

Can I describe my feelings and emotions during the time that I smoke the cigar?  
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

05Venturer

QuoteBrlesq - 12/20/2018  5:14 PM

Not sure anyone is ready for that
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

Quote05Venturer - 12/20/2018  6:21 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 12/20/2018  5:14 PM

Not sure anyone is ready for that

Sometimes smoking can be exhilarating! You don't want to know which cigars might make Happy Gilmore appear??  :shy:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

toby2

QuoteBrlesq - 12/20/2018  6:26 PM 
Sometimes smoking can be exhilarating! You don't want to know which cigars might make Happy Gilmore appear??  :shy:   [/QUOTE]

if that happens something tells me these dudes would just bust out a ring gauge chart and we would have a whole different kind of review criteria....  :-0  :-0

Kman

I find the Julian Calendar date to be of utmost importance in interpreting a cigar review.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Murphy223

I don't know what Madagascar chocolate is but it sounds amazing  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Cfickter

Can I do a shout out in the middle of the review
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

tuck0411

Probably aimed at me as I've been including some, if not most, of the offending items in my recent reviews.  Whatever, I'd recommend just not reading my stuff as I don't plan to change anything.     :snoring:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

nirab

I like turtles...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Brlesq

Quotenirab - 12/20/2018  9:33 PM

I like turtles...

Snapping, box or ninja?

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

toby2

QuoteBrlesq - 12/20/2018  9:49 PM  
Quotenirab - 12/20/2018  9:33 PM  I like turtles...
Snapping, box or ninja?  

i'm pretty partial to snappers. but a regular ole box in a pinch is better than nothing.... 

Brlesq

Quotetoby2 - 12/20/2018  10:33 PM

QuoteBrlesq - 12/20/2018  9:49 PM  
Quotenirab - 12/20/2018  9:33 PM  I like turtles...
Snapping, box or ninja?  

i'm pretty partial to snappers. but a regular ole box in a pinch is better than nothing.... 

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 

Adwinistrator

"It was a cold, dark night...  just like any other, but the damp pavement smelled of memories...  years had gone by, but the scent remained..."

Koop

On a more serious note, I agree with this:

Wrapper texture, color, smell
Burn rate, whether it tunneled or canoed, that kind of thing
Smoke volume, draw
Flavors , but don't tell me it tasted like Madagascar chocolate, that is just BS
Construction, did it hold up or unravel?

Construction and burn are high on my list of important features.

DonM

Quotetuck0411 - 12/21/2018  12:22 AM

Probably aimed at me as I've been including some, if not most, of the offending items in my recent reviews.  Whatever, I'd recommend just not reading my stuff as I don't plan to change anything.     :snoring:

It is a bit hard to avoid reading your reviews when it is on the home page of the web site.  

I AM glad that you left out details like what movie you were watching on Netflix, what highway you were on, the octane level of fuel you use or the color of your shirt before the ash fell on it

Who in their right mind would write a review on a cigar that you re-lit the next day and score it that way?  That cardboard taste you refer to should have been re worded to "Charred @$$"

"The Curmudgeon"

tuck0411

QuoteDonM - 12/21/2018  12:40 AM

It is a bit hard to avoid reading your reviews when it is on the home page of the web site.  

I AM glad that you left out details like what movie you were watching on Netflix, what highway you were on, the octane level of fuel you use or the color of your shirt before the ash fell on it

Who in their right mind would write a review on a cigar that you re-lit the next day and score it that way?  That cardboard taste you refer to should have been re worded to "Charred @$$"

Who in their right mind?  Clearly not me.  Maybe you guys should start having psych evals done on prospective new members prior to allowing them to post reviews.  That way, you wouldn't be bothered by annoying stuff that doesn't pass muster and that you can't seem to resist clicking on....

I did a little research just to see who exactly it is that's unhappy here....  You, DonM, have done quite a few reviews yourself in the last several years.  Very good, an impressive number, however, the last one was back in August, over four months ago.  DRuff has done only one review during his time here, and that one was almost three years ago.  I'm kind of thinking maybe you both should spend more time smoking and reviewing rather than posting complaints about what others are doing.  I dunno, just a thought that came to mind....    :smoker2:
Todd

"Those sticks won't smoke themselves..." -- OZZ

DonM

Quotetuck0411 - 12/21/2018  8:17 AM

Who in their right mind?  Clearly not me.  Maybe you guys should start having psych evals done on prospective new members prior to allowing them to post reviews.  That way, you wouldn't be bothered by annoying stuff that doesn't pass muster and that you can't seem to resist clicking on....

I did a little research just to see who exactly it is that's unhappy here....  You, DonM, have done quite a few reviews yourself in the last several years.  Very good, an impressive number, however, the last one was back in August, over four months ago.  DRuff has done only one review during his time here, and that one was almost three years ago.  I'm kind of thinking maybe you both should spend more time smoking and reviewing rather than posting complaints about what others are doing.  I dunno, just a thought that came to mind....    :smoker2:

Todd, it appears that you are a little sensitive about my comments as well as DRuff's.    His point as well as mine is that although there is not a set format on posting your reviews, a more direct approach in your review containing more information on the cigar, the smoking of the cigar and less of what is going on in the background would be more acceptable (and professional)

"The Curmudgeon"

DRuff

Quotetuck0411 - 12/21/2018  5:17 AM  

Who in their right mind?  Clearly not me.  Maybe you guys should start having psych evals done on prospective new members prior to allowing them to post reviews.  That way, you wouldn't be bothered by annoying stuff that doesn't pass muster and that you can't seem to resist clicking on....  I did a little research just to see who exactly it is that's unhappy here....  You, DonM, have done quite a few reviews yourself in the last several years.  Very good, an impressive number, however, the last one was back in August, over four months ago.  DRuff has done only one review during his time here, and that one was almost three years ago.  I'm kind of thinking maybe you both should spend more time smoking and reviewing rather than posting complaints about what others are doing.  I dunno, just a thought that came to mind....    :smoker2:

I reviewed a cigar I felt was review worthy, not every dog rocket my buddy gifted me. You enjoy yourself, though. Maybe santa will bring a cigar poker so you don't have to keep borrowing one.   :lmao:

DRuff

On another note, I have done quite a few Geek Critiques, never thought to mention what was on TV. I'll have to include that in my next one.

junglepete

Guys, please take it to the PM's. If anyone feels something is weong with the waus reviews are written then please contact senorpablo.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.