Boveda Butler struggles with polling data.

Started by Deadl0ck, 12/24/2018 06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadl0ck

Hey Guys, 

Santa gave me a Boveda Butler a few days early, and so far, I'm mostly pleased with it. However it seems to struggle a lot with actually pulling the historical data from the sensor, or grabbing new readings, often times not being able to do so many times in a row,  or getting new readings for hours, before suddenly working again or grabbing new readings twice in 15 minutes. This is while it's connected, and I'm less than 3 feet away from the sensor. It also seems to lose connection at times, and not pick back up again until I've reset the phone. 

I can't really find any information about any of these issues online, so I was wondering if there might be any experience on these things here?

Happy / Merry whatever you may celebrate! 

Deener27

That is one of the reason I go with Govee.  I walk in my office, update the sensor and it loads all of the data.  Simple and easy.

Just my .02 on that.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

DonM

I actually looked at the Boveda Butler recently.  With a lack of positive reviews or reviews as a whole I steered away from it and I am still using calibrated cheap hygrometers.  

I will be interested in your opinion of it after you have had a chance to test ride it

"The Curmudgeon"

Cigary

This is becoming popular with the "techi crowd" of cigar people.  The FOG's will just do it old school which has worked for decades so the split between young and old is real...I use Bovedas and/or Kitty Litter and can set my watch by it for months at a time without constant monitoring but realize that being raised with gadgets and stuff keeps things interesting.

Chefjohn

QuoteDonM - 12/24/2018  10:33 AM

I actually looked at the Boveda Butler recently.  With a lack of positive reviews or reviews as a whole I steered away from it and I am still using calibrated cheap hygrometers.  

I will be interested in your opinion of it after you have had a chance to test ride it

I looked at it as well and had some apprehensions because of some of the reviews. I currently use the Cigar Oasis Caliber IV hygrometer and have been very happy with it. I do have a question though. How often do you guys recalibrate your hygrometers?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

DonM

QuoteChefjohn - 12/24/2018  3:09 PM

QuoteDonM - 12/24/2018  10:33 AM

I looked at it as well and had some apprehensions because of some of the reviews. I currently use the Cigar Oasis Caliber IV hygrometer and have been very happy with it. I do have a question though. How often do you guys recalibrate your hygrometers?

Good question, John.  1st, the Caliber IV is a pretty good unit calibrated.  I wouldn't mess with it unless you suspect it is too far off.  6ou have to remember that with any hygrometer in the $20-25 range, you are looking at up to + or - a 2% variance by the manufacturer.  Any more, I use them as a guide to detect a overtly high or low RH

"The Curmudgeon"

Deadl0ck

QuoteDonM - 12/24/2018  9:33 AM  I actually looked at the Boveda Butler recently.  With a lack of positive reviews or reviews as a whole I steered away from it and I am still using calibrated cheap hygrometers.    I will be interested in your opinion of it after you have had a chance to test ride it    

Well, I've had it calibrate with the included kit, it was high by 2.8% which it automatically cirrected, and I've been running it in my IKEA-dor for 2.5 days now. (a 2.6 gallon air tight food storage container that I added some insulation to the outside of, and cigar box cedar liners and insert sheets on the inside, some of which I fashioned into a makeshift tray.)

Like I said, I'm pretty pleased with it overall, even if they push it as a marketing tool as well. 'set up your automatic boveda resupply order now!' the app is slick, transparent, and it even includes an impact sensor that's toggable for use when travelling.

My only real gripe is the random occasional disconnect which is common to most BT devices I own (like light bulbs.) which can be easily fixed by forcibly closing and restarting the app or phone, more annoying to me is the problems with pulling the data. It does it eventually, but it's more often than not a fight of cycling Bluetooth, restarting the app, and/or phone, until it finally takes. 

Brlesq

I've got 2 of these, purchased at the same time this winter.  One is reasonably accurate, the other one has always been off by 10% or so.  Complaints to Boveda customer service have been scoffed at.  Could it be a bad unit?  Of course, but Boveda is not standing behind their product the way that Xikar stands behind their products.

NOT RECOMMENDED.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Adwinistrator

Heard nothing but complaints about the Boveda Butler.

I've been using a SensorPush for a while, and it's been fantastic.  Zero issues.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.