Been out of it for a while.....

Started by Silverstix, 12/28/2018 07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

Hey guys, I'm sure you've all missed me a lot here on the forum over the last month  :biggrin:   I have been dealing with some illnesses and I haven't been able to smoke or feeling like smoking for a little while. I have diverticulitis and I get flare-ups from time to time.  Usually not too bad, just need a few days of a liquid diet followed by a light diet for a couple weeks and I'm usually good to go...

But this latest fiasco started on Veteran's Day 11/12, I woke up that morning with a fever and bad stomach pain, went to urgent care and they sent me for a CT and confirmed there was an infection so they put me on 10 days of antibiotics. I finished those on Thanksgiving.

I was feeling fine, then Sunday after Thanksgiving 11/25 BAM! I got hit with realllly bad pain, sh*t had me crying so this time I went to the ER and I was admitted for a week with a bad infection.  They think the first flare up from Veteran's Day never fully went away. Anyway, 5 days in the hospital with IV antibiotics, got discharged with antibiotics to take at home.

Here I am 6 weeks later, still not feeling like myself.....stomach isn't quite right, have no energy at all, just feel like  :barf:

Haven't smoked a cigar in 6 weeks, but I am feeling ok today and I'm planning on smoking one when I get out of work, so long as I'm still feeling ok this afternoon.....we'll see. 

Just really sucks being sick and not being yourself. I'm done with it. I'm a young guy only 33 years old , so I think I am going to have surgery in the spring time to remove the part of my intestine that's bad and they will reconnect me. It will be rough but I can't live the rest of my life like this, I have young kids and if I get a real bad infection it could lead to major problems and I don't want any part of that

Enjoy your health if you have it, don't take it for granted, and take good care of yourself!!!!  

headfirst

Dang, sorry to hear about that.  Hopefully next thanksgiving you'll be on the other side of that mess and you'll know exactly what to be thankful for!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Adwinistrator

Damn, Tom, that's really rough.  Hope you're feeling well soon and can get a permanent solution to the issue.

appollo

Glad your feeling better Tom.

StogieDad

Man, hang in there.  Hope something can work that out for you and get you back to normal.  Good luck brother.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

ninfiction

Nasty stuff. I hope you get it all sorted out. Hopefully if you decide on surgery everything gets sorted.

Good luck, feel better!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Brlesq

Welcome back Tom.  Diverticulitis is a painful thing.  I've had a couple of bouts with it over the years.  As you know, its important to stick to the right diet during those times and for a while after.  Its also important to get a colonoscopy to see if that's the only issue.  Good luck!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Silverstix

Thanks gents. The frustrating part is that even when I am eating well and doing the right things, I can still get hit by it.  I could be feeling great in the morning, and by the afternoon its a different story.  Follow ups are going to happen in January to check everything out and make sure nothing else is going on. I'm a big old baby and I don't want to go under the knife.....but a few weeks of pain could save me a lifetime of pain, and I think it's gonna have to happen unfortunately. Thanks for reading and sympathizing with me!! Gotta get 2018 over with and hit the ground running in '19!!!!

toby2

get well brother. i've been sick for two months as well. breathing  issues. a little better but not out of the woods yet. i have to enjoy  cigars through these guys for a bit more. and those detailed  reviews! takes one's breath away. hell maybe that was it? take care!  :biggrin:

Silverstix

Quotetoby2 - 12/28/2018  11:25 AM  get well brother. i've been sick for two months as well. breathing  issues. a little better but not out of the woods yet. i have to enjoy  cigars through these guys for a bit more. and those detailed  reviews! takes one's breath away. hell maybe that was it? take care!  :biggrin:

You get well too man.  Nice to see you haven't lost your sense of humor  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  

jagfandaddy

and I thought having the flu was bad! Get well and glad you're back!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

shakinghorizons

Dang Tom, sorry to hear about this happening to you!

Absolutely go under the knife - yes it's stressful to think about - but a lifetime of enjoyment is to be had.

Chefjohn

Sorry to hear of your illness Tom. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better and hope that by next holiday season that this will be in the past.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

junglepete

Sounds like a tough time. All the best to you in the new year.
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Otter

Welcome back, I hope you can enjoy the hobby again!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Silverstix

I am happy to report that I got out of work early on Friday and went straight to my local B&M for a cigar and it was great. I smoked one of the new Balmoral Dueto, it was a very good smoke. Suggest picking one up if you come across them

Chefjohn

That's great to hear Tom and thanks for the recommendation.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

klamm143

Welcome Home Brother - sorry for you set backs.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

CoreyMacLeod

I'm sorry to hear this.  Glad that you seem to be on the mend a bit.  Hang in there, and you'll be in my prayers.
No Signature Necessary.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.