Am I Missing Something?

Started by Chefjohn, 01/02/2019 06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chefjohn

Hey guys. I hope everyone had a good New Years. I have a question for the group. Over the weekend I has a Drew Estate Liga Privada 9 Robusto. I had purchased a couple based on glowing reviews from various review sites ( which I don't put a lot of stock in) and a couple of groups I belong to whose membership is made up of regular everyday cigar enthusiasts (whose opinions I do have faith in). I didn't find the stick to be all that. I didn't get a lot of flavor complexity. I know I'm fairly new to this and my palate may not be that developed yet and I don't want to bash this stick. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this cigar or do you think it's just my lack of experience?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Beegerply

No I don't think its your palate, I like you found it to be a bit on the bland side myself. However I do like the T 52 much better smoke IMO. :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Chefjohn

Thanks Byron. I know that taste is very subjective. I also wonder if perhaps I was influenced beforehand by both it's price and all the glowing reviews for it and feeling a bit let down when it didn't live up to what I thought it would be.

DonM

Ratings and reviews on any cigar are subject to the persons personal tastes, John.  While I like the #9 and smoke them on occasion,  it just may not be enjoyable to you and your palate.  If the #9 is a miss for you, there are hundreds of other cigars out there that may be more enjoyable to you.  As an example, I have a friend that ONLY smokes Macanudo Gold label cigars.  He will not smoke anything else, period.  I will rarely smoke a CT.

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

QuoteDonM - 1/2/2019  8:44 AM

Ratings and reviews on any cigar are subject to the persons personal tastes, John.  While I like the #9 and smoke them on occasion,  it just may not be enjoyable to you and your palate.  If the #9 is a miss for you, there are hundreds of other cigars out there that may be more enjoyable to you.  As an example, I have a friend that ONLY smokes Macanudo Gold label cigars.  He will not smoke anything else, period.  I will rarely smoke a CT.

Thanks Don. I think I am slowly beginning to learn what my preferences are. I'm finding I really like Maduro and the spiciness of Cameroons.

StogieDad

Were they fresh from a B&M or purchased from someone?  Just curious.  And as stated, taste is subjective.  Might not be your wheelhouse.  I personally really like them, so I wouldn't write them off.  Maybe revisit a while down the road, taste preferences change so you never know what may blow your skirt up next time.  I would try the T52 as well, I slightly prefer that blend, but both are excellent in my opinion.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

I think one thing a lot of us noticed lately was it just seemed to miss that knockout flavor that separated it from other cigars.  Is it tied to the Swisher acquisition?  I would think that Jonathan was less focused on margins, where Swisher would be.  

Might be same blend but perhaps not aged as long?  Same tobacco type, but different farm?

Who knows but there is a difference from a few years ago for sure
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Chefjohn

QuoteCfickter - 1/2/2019  9:08 AM

I think one thing a lot of us noticed lately was it just seemed to miss that knockout flavor that separated it from other cigars.  Is it tied to the Swisher acquisition?  I would think that Jonathan was less focused on margins, where Swisher would be.  

Might be same blend but perhaps not aged as long?  Same tobacco type, but different farm?

Great points Chuck, one I hadn't considered.

headfirst

You're not alone John, check out the aging experiment thread going on right now.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

05Venturer

IMO, the Liga #9 is no where near the cigar it used to be. I haven't bought one in years. Used to be a great cigar now very middle of the road at best
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Adwinistrator

The recent production LP9 I smoked surprised me with a lot of floral potpourri notes, but I'm pretty sure those are the first flavors to go with aging, or improper storage...

My theory, the old LP9s were a different stick, the flavors were brought out with aged quality tobacco.  I think the new LP9s are trying to recreate a similar complex but strong cigar, but going about it by different means.  I don't think they're doing any infusions or anything, but that the tobacco they are using brings a lot of big notes that dissipate with age, whereas the old formula used tobacco that had bold flavors that age brought out.

Chefjohn

QuoteStogieDad - 1/2/2019  8:57 AM

Were they fresh from a B&M or purchased from someone?  Just curious.  And as stated, taste is subjective.  Might not be your wheelhouse.  I personally really like them, so I wouldn't write them off.  Maybe revisit a while down the road, taste preferences change so you never know what may blow your skirt up next time.  I would try the T52 as well, I slightly prefer that blend, but both are excellent in my opinion.

I had purchase them on line. Unfortunately health issues don't permit me to get out to the B & M here often. They were in my humidor for about 125 days at 65%.

Chefjohn

Quote05Venturer - 1/2/2019  11:51 AM

IMO, the Liga #9 is no where near the cigar it used to be. I haven't bought one in years. Used to be a great cigar now very middle of the road at best

I'm hearing the same thing from a lot of other people Kent. Thanks for your input.

Chefjohn

QuoteAdwinistrator - 1/2/2019  12:18 PM

The recent production LP9 I smoked surprised me with a lot of floral potpourri notes, but I'm pretty sure those are the first flavors to go with aging, or improper storage...

My theory, the old LP9s were a different stick, the flavors were brought out with aged quality tobacco.  I think the new LP9s are trying to recreate a similar complex but strong cigar, but going about it by different means.  I don't think they're doing any infusions or anything, but that the tobacco they are using brings a lot of big notes that dissipate with age, whereas the old formula used tobacco that had bold flavors that age brought out.

Yeah I had read your reviews of the Belicoso and the Toro Ryan and found it very interesting.

nirab

For me, it is a cigar that used to be worthy of searching for, and now, not so much. I agree with others that the T52 seems to be holding up well when compared to the older blend. From what I've been told, its the same tobacco, but grown in larger quantities, which tells me that not as much attention is paid to the tobacco when its growing as when it was truly a small batch production. Its still a good cigar in my opinion, but there are many more that I view as better...for my palate!

PS...Try the Foundation Tabernacle and the Casa Turrent 1880...these remind me of the original LP#9...but better!!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Otter

Quote05Venturer - 1/2/2019  2:51 PM

I concur... They were really good under Steve and Nick!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Longhorn

This. ^^^

Been smoking LP9's (and lots of them) since they were introduced.

Construction and quality of leaf have declined in recent years.  

There are a few cigars in the old LP9 wheelhouse (outside of T52's) that have earned a spot in my humidor:  La Imperiosa and Mi Querida.

DonM

QuoteThere are a few cigars in the old LP9 wheelhouse (outside of T52's) that have earned a spot in my humidor:  La Imperiosa and Mi Querida.

I have both of those in stock  :biggrin:

"The Curmudgeon"

MusicCity

Ryan had an interesting review and thread on LP9.  I think there are a few things likely in play: palates have changed since LP was introduced, the Swisher takeover, and a broadleaf shortage affecting the quality of tobacco being used.

bstessl

QuoteLonghorn - 1/3/2019  9:52 PM  
QuoteAdwinistrator - 1/2/2019  12:18 PM  The recent production LP9 I smoked surprised me with a lot of floral potpourri notes, but I'm pretty sure those are the first flavors to go with aging, or improper storage...  My theory, the old LP9s were a different stick, the flavors were brought out with aged quality tobacco.  I think the new LP9s are trying to recreate a similar complex but strong cigar, but going about it by different means.  I don't think they're doing any infusions or anything, but that the tobacco they are using brings a lot of big notes that dissipate with age, whereas the old formula used tobacco that had bold flavors that age brought out.
This. ^^^  Been smoking LP9's (and lots of them) since they were introduced.  Construction and quality of leaf have declined in recent years.    There are a few cigars in the old LP9 wheelhouse (outside of T52's) that have earned a spot in my humidor:  La Imperiosa and Mi Querida.  

I don't care what your pallet is like, if you take any advice on the LP#9 take it from Longhorn!  I think most of us know that he has probably smoked more of these than anyone on this site... and most others!  LOL
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Longhorn

Quotebstessl - 1/4/2019  1:41 PM

...he has probably smoked more of these than anyone on this site... and most others!  LOL

And THIS ^^^^  :biggrin: Yard Gars!

CoreyMacLeod

Smoked one after a strong cigar, and while I had been drinking a bit.  I knew I wasn't getting full flavor because of the previous smoke, and the drink, but I thought it was nice.  I've had a T52 once and didn't think it was as good as the 9.
No Signature Necessary.

CoreyMacLeod

QuoteCfickter - 1/2/2019  9:08 AM

BUT, to piggyback on this, the Tatuaje Black Petit Lancero 2013 is head-and-shoulders above the recent release.  Is aging at work here?  Perhaps, but I personally think that the blend has changed in some way.  It could very well be that the blend was changed in some form (source, contents).
No Signature Necessary.

CoreyMacLeod

QuoteLonghorn - 1/3/2019  10:52 PM

This. ^^^

Been smoking LP9's (and lots of them) since they were introduced.

Construction and quality of leaf have declined in recent years.  

There are a few cigars in the old LP9 wheelhouse (outside of T52's) that have earned a spot in my humidor:  La Imperiosa and Mi Querida.

TRY THE LA IMPERIOSA.
No Signature Necessary.

CoreyMacLeod

QuoteLonghorn - 1/4/2019  6:30 PM

Quotebstessl - 1/4/2019  1:41 PM

...he has probably smoked more of these than anyone on this site... and most others!  LOL

And THIS ^^^^  :biggrin: Yard Gars!

Fanboy?
No Signature Necessary.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.