Nasty surprise in my Viaje Circa 45

Started by Adwinistrator, 01/03/2019 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adwinistrator

So a few days ago, I went to smoke one of these, and noticed what looked like a tuft of fabric sticking out the end. I pulled on it, and about .75 inches came out before it broke off.

I wrote to Small Batch Cigar, who refunded me, as well as Viaje customer service, who explained that mistakes happen, and apologized. I told the Viaje rep that I would do a dissection, and could send him pictures, but he said no thanks...

Well, I did the dissection, and it turns out that it was not cotton I pulled out of the cigar, but mold...

After I got through the wrapper and binder, and a few layers of filler, I found a leaf with white dry mold on it, the same color as what I had pulled out of the foot. 

Upon further disassembly, the layers underneath that mold spot had a wet and sticky pocket of tobacco. The likely cause (or subsequent effect) of this mold.

Quite gross and unexpected. I think I'll go ahead and forward this to that Viaje rep who declined the offer...

Brlesq

What did you expect from a cigar from 1945?  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Adwinistrator

QuoteBrlesq - 1/3/2019  9:13 PM

What did you expect from a cigar from 1945?  :biggrin:

CIRCA 1945

We don't know how much circa, exactly...  Could be a lot of circa...

headfirst

Glad you caught it before you smoked it, dang...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Hot Stuff x

Off topic -- what kind of car you got there with a manual transmission?    I'm guessing something early 2000's and Japanese
LES
Guru of Morning Calm and Oriental Wisdom

"You got me started on both the Liberty and the Christian's Blend, Les. Now my kids won't be able to go to college." - Brlesq

tvolball

I've had the same thing in Jamie Garcia.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Beegerply

That's better then a chicken feather. early on when I first started smoking cigars I bought some cheap one don't remember brand. But after cutting it I noticed something coming out the top. I pulled on it and it was a chicken feather, needless to say I pitched it LOL.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Murphy223

appollo

Koop

I'm surprised - and disappointed - the rep wasn't interested in the seeing the root of the problem.

Adwinistrator

QuoteKoop - 1/4/2019  10:08 AM

I'm surprised - and disappointed - the rep wasn't interested in the seeing the root of the problem.

I think we both assumed it was just some cotton fabric that found it's way it, so I can understand thinking that's the end of it.

My decision to dissect was just to see how much fabric was rolled in there, I had no idea it was mold...

Adwinistrator

QuoteHot Stuff x - 1/4/2019  5:51 AM

Off topic -- what kind of car you got there with a manual transmission?    I'm guessing something early 2000's and Japanese

2006 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B (#68/500) :biggrin:

QuoteBeegerply - 1/4/2019  8:09 AM

That's better then a chicken feather. early on when I first started smoking cigars I bought some cheap one don't remember brand. But after cutting it I noticed something coming out the top. I pulled on it and it was a chicken feather, needless to say I pitched it LOL.  :biggrin:

That's insane!

CoreyMacLeod

Interesting post.  A friend at work recently bought some Gurkha heritage or something... and found the same type of thing in his cigar.  Looks like burlap or something.  I don't think he had the mold though.
No Signature Necessary.

Cigary

My worry is the cigars I've smoked in the last 40 years where there was something I couldn't see and I smoked it anyway.

gitfiddl

Several years ago, I remember there being some Jose l. Piedra cigars that had pieces of what appeared to be burlap threads in them.  When you think about it, it's kind of remarkable we don't find more issues like internal mold and stray substances than we do.  Makes you wonder what wev'e smoked that we don't know about.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

klamm143

Looks nasty..............might be a e-bay market for it tho......lol.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Vroomp

Burlap and plastic are common in factories with little supervision as these items are used a lot and can get stuck on the back of the leaf sometimes where it goes unnoticed.............
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.