Well this sucks!

Started by DonM, 01/04/2019 04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonM

So the Nanny state's mentality had to come south, this sucks!

https://halfwheel.com/florida-state-senator-introduces-bill-banning-smoking-on-beaches/289245

I have always enjoyed smoking a good cigar on the beach.  Oh my, I hope this don't pass

"The Curmudgeon"

ntanner

Just what we need, more rules. :hitme:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

toby2

stupid laws.... too windy for me though. it never works out for me.

klamm143

BAHHHHHHHHHHHH - HUMBUG.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cigary

This $hyte has been going on for years and it extends to a condo I own in San Diego....no cigar smoking on my balcony or at the pool area and BBQ area.

DonM

QuoteCigary - 1/5/2019  10:11 AM

This $hyte has been going on for years and it extends to a condo I own in San Diego....no cigar smoking on my balcony or at the pool area and BBQ area.

I owned a Condo......once.  Never again.  HOA's and Condo Associations govern your lifestyle, not to mention the nosy neighbor's that want to get into all  of your business.  You can't wash your car there, park or store the Harley here.  You cant park that boat here. I used to drive them bat shyt crazy. At the time there was not a no smoking policy at the pool.  I used to fire cigars up and listen to them whine.  For awhile I tried to be courteous, but that got me no where.

And then I moved!

"The Curmudgeon"

calvarez

Not all HOAs are the same.  Where I live, they really just want to minimize major things.  I can wash my car and motorcycle in the driveway.  I can't KEEP a boat or RV there all the time, but it's fine for a few days to work on it or whatever.  And that's fine with me, as the streets are too narrow to have them littered with RVs and boats.  Meanwhile we pay very little and they do a great job of maintaining the roads and parks.  We have four beautiful parks where we take the dogs.  The city park is brown and everything is broken.  Our roads are perfect, and as soon as we leave the HOA area the city road is absolute garbage and the landscaping is trash.  So it's a compromise, one that works well for us.  Also doing something like having an RV at home will get you a letter and TWO WEEKS before they fine you.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Adwinistrator

Quotecalvarez - 1/14/2019  11:20 AM

Not all HOAs are the same.  Where I live, they really just want to minimize major things.  I can wash my car and motorcycle in the driveway.  I can't KEEP a boat or RV there all the time, but it's fine for a few days to work on it or whatever.  And that's fine with me, as the streets are too narrow to have them littered with RVs and boats.  Meanwhile we pay very little and they do a great job of maintaining the roads and parks.  We have four beautiful parks where we take the dogs.  The city park is brown and everything is broken.  Our roads are perfect, and as soon as we leave the HOA area the city road is absolute garbage and the landscaping is trash.  So it's a compromise, one that works well for us.  Also doing something like having an RV at home will get you a letter and TWO WEEKS before they fine you.

Bootlicker  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

calvarez

LOL.

Oh,and  we had our own bit of anarchy once.  For a short time, we had a real nazi inspector/community manager.  I swear sometimes I'd have a letter in my mailbox when I was just thinking about doing something against the rules.  She didn't last long, people said she had too little tolerance for minor s**t and they replaced her.  (She's an HOA management company employee, not elected by us.)

-- Me

StogieDad

Won't stop me.  I've never bumped into an officer on my morning walks so I doubt I will going forward.  I don't usually smoke once I have the family and such on the beach, just too much going on.

But I agree, it's silly.  Just can't let folks live, gotta control everything.  I can't smoke a cigar on the beach but your bada** little sh*ts can do whatever they want and generally ruin my day at the beach because parents are too lazy to discipline.  Makes sense....
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Beegerply

That's a shame if they pass that bill. I'll bite my tongue on this one about government. :mad:  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

calvarez

Have you heard that Utah banned all cigar shipments into the state unless you're a licensed dealer?  So much for their "conservative" government.

-- Me

Vroomp

Quotecalvarez - 1/14/2019  12:15 PM  Have you heard that Utah banned all cigar shipments into the state unless you're a licensed dealer?  So much for their "conservative" government.

Do you have a link?

Kind of hard to open every single box looking for cigars don't ya think?

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

calvarez

No link, I've just been talking to a few people in Utah and assume they are not lying.  The USPS won't open boxes, but none of the major sites will ship there now that it's illegal.  Like I can't get K&L Wines to ship whisky to AZ, so it goes to my brother in CA and he slaps on a USPS label to get it to me.  I've offered the guys in Utah to join me on group buys and I'll re-ship.

-- Me

Cfickter

I am not a lawyer, not have I stayed at a Holiday Inn lately, but isn't this restraint of trade?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

calvarez

Not at all.  Restraint of trade is actually kind of the opposite of what I think you're thinking.  It prevents monopolies and agreements NOT to trade.

-- Me

jagfandaddy

Gotta love my state
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 1/14/2019  1:07 PM

I am not a lawyer, not have I stayed at a Holiday Inn lately, but isn't this restraint of trade?

No different than PA not permitting liquor to be mailed to its citizens.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.