Nubs or alternatives

Started by Murphy223, 01/21/2019 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murphy223

I'm considering trying out a few Nubs so looking for feedback and/or recommendation.  The primary driver is Time.  I don't enough time to enjoy the typical Corona or Toros that make up most of my collection.  So I'm trying to find something a bit smaller which I can enjoy within a shorter period of time.  I can't bring myself to cutting sticks in half ::-) 

I'm not interested or a fan of Cigarillos and haven't tried any Nubs so thought I'd ask.  The ring gauge might be a little too big for my preference so looking for any advice or recommendations for Nubs or similar sized sticks.   What to try, what to avoid?

TIA

headfirst

I think the nub Connie and maduro aren't bad.  Have you thought about short robusto or smaller perfectos?  Lots of good 4.5x50 type cigars out there.  Arturo Fuente, Crowned Heads Jericho Hill, My Father Le Bijou, Fable Fourth Prime, oliva V #4 are some I've had that are worth a look...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

headfirst

By the way, watch holts or cbid if you're gonna buy nubs, those two have the best deals I've seen.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

Well if time is the main factor, then nubs aren't the answer. Though a shorter cigar in length, a typically nub is 58-60 ring gauge and may take as long or longer to smoke than a typical corona.

Petite coronas, rothschildes or short robustos might be what you are looking for.  There are a lot of terrific smaller cigars that only take 30-35 minutes to enjoy.  My favorite budget smoke in this size range is the Illusione Rothchildes (4.5"x 50).
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Brlesq

BTW, you can search specific attributes using the advanced search function on our CG database. http://cigargeeks.com/cigardb/default.asp?action=advsearch

For example, you can pick a length of 4-5 inches and a ring gauge of 46-50, and say a strength of medium.  That search produces 1840 results!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

StogieDad

QuoteBrlesq - 1/21/2019  1:59 PM

Well if time is the main factor, then nubs aren't the answer. Though a shorter cigar in length, a typically nub is 58-60 ring gauge and may take as long or longer to smoke than a typical corona.

Petite coronas, rothschildes or short robustos might be what you are looking for.  There are a lot of terrific smaller cigars that only take 30-35 minutes to enjoy. (4.5"x 50).

X2

There are a ton of Petite Corona and the like that would fit the bill.  FWIW, the Nub Maduro Torpedo is a very good smoke, but as Bruce stated, it is not a short smoke.  But they are worth trying.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cfickter

I would offer up the following Roma Crafts, perfect for the short smoking window
Aquitaine and CroMagnon KnuckleDraggers 4X52
Aquitaine and CroMagnon Pestera Muierilor 4X46
Neanderthal SGP 4.5X52
Intemperance EC XVIII Virtue 4.5X52 or the Charity 4X46
Intemperance BA XXI Avarice 4.5X52 or the Intrigue 4X46

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

DonM

A few I have smoked recently:

RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance BA XXI The Intrigue
Tatuaje Havana VI Angeles - Petit Corona
Oliva Serie V #4
RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine Breuil
RoMa Craft Tobac Aquitaine Pestera Muierilor
Cabaiguan Guapos Junior

"The Curmudgeon"

Chefjohn

I like the Nub Maduro and the Habano isn't bad but as Bruce noted though they are shorter the do have a fairly hefty RG. As Gary said keep an eye on Cbid. I got a really good deal on Nubs there.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Murphy223

Great Feedback Guys - Will definitely look into a few of these and need to check out the Roma Crafts

Cfickter

QuoteMurphy223 - 1/21/2019  4:12 PM  Great Feedback Guys - Will definitely look into a few of these and need to check out the Roma Crafts

What I like about the Roma Crafts are the wrapper choices - pick your poison 

Aquitaine - Ecuadorian Habano Ligero
CroMagnon - Connecticut Broadleaf
Neanderthal - Mexican San Andres 
Intemperance EC XVIII - Ecuadorian Connecticut
Intemperance BA XXI - Brazilian Arapiraca

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

DRuff

Also try Cracker Crumbs or DE Papas Fritas.

Cfickter

Lets also include AJF' Last Call.  The maduro over the habano

StogieDad

Good ones Chuck.  The RomaCraft CroMagnon KnuckleDragger is one of my favorite cigars period, not just short.  Those Last Calls are good too!

Tatuaje has a Petite Corona in the brown label that is very good.
Crowned Heads Jericho Hill Shots and La Imperiosa Minutos
LFD La Nox Petites are good ones too
Foundation Cigar makes a good little Charter Oak PC
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.